Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

1. UL Basketball Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Mike he could have taken that and run with it, taking self responsibility. An answer like Yes, we all know it is unfair, but what I am concerned about is our teams failure to be NCAA worthy. Of course he could have accepted responsibility.

We have all seen all coaches and politicians take questions and totally ignore them when the question is about their failure. This was an opportunity for Bob to do that in reverse, take a question not about his failure and turn it into an opportunity to address his concerns, and failures instead of pontificating on a subject we all agree upon. He was singing to his crowd, pointless jabber.

Sooner or later Mike, Marlin will turn this game into another resume builder, yet another post season game, blah, blah, blah. I want him to win, he just doesn't.

It is now getting fixed, the concrete is firming up, and UL is no longer even a mid major power.

Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Again, Coach only responded to the NCAA mid major snubs from a question. He did not bring it up.
    Mike, you know this, and he knows this. but if he acknowledges it, it doesnt let him double down on his comment from a couple weeks ago that he made in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    UL is no longer even a mid major power.
    That boat sailed decades ago. NOT defending Marlin. Just stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    so what you are saying is it was your fault. Roar brought the jinx with him.
    I think I did jinx them!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    The tourney accomplished more than having a minor financial impact to the coaching staff. Participation here had no impact on possible extensions. The tourney allowed the players to participate in three more games, something they love to do. It also allowed fans to see three more games. I am of the view that the more Cajun basketball I can watch the better and there others who feel the same way. I understand the casual fan having the same view as Z however. There is a larger picture to think of when you consider the impact to the players however. Back to those guys, if you saw the look on their faces as they walked off the court I can assure you they wanted to keep playing. I feel for them this morning as six of them will never be able to put on that Cajun uniform again and they worked their butt off to be able to do so. They generally represented the university well in the process. We as fans will wonder what type of team will be put together in the off season and will be back next November for another season. When you are a player though, this is it. While I am disappointed in last night's result and the season overall, it means little to my life. I am more disappointed for the guys who fought so hard last night and were not rewarded. As said earlier, I wish them well in life and am confident they will be successful as they move on to their next chapters. I thank all of them for their efforts.
    I think its fair to say the better team won last night. We should all at least come to grips with the fact that in order for the Cajuns to win last night against UCI, they had to shoot well and defend. UCI was the better team coming into the Cajun Dome, even BOP acknowledge that they are probably the best team remaining in CIT. Well the Cajuns did defend well at times, especially in the second half of the game, but it wasn't enough to overcome their shooting woes from the perimeter. We all knew that was this teams weakness coming in to the game and last night did nothing to change the narrative on the 2015-16 Cajuns MBB team.

Let me join you Mike in saying that no one quit last night and these kids faught to the final buzzer, actually playing like they had something to play for in the end. I'm appreciative of their effort and I will wish all of the seniors the best of luck in life going forward, regardless of where their careers may take them in the future.

At this point, there really isn't mush else to say other then to repeat your statement that recruiting must improve for this basketball program to move forward.

6. Default Re: Louisiana vs Cal Irvine

Z, all we gotta remember is we were not NCAA, or NIT worthy. Yes, we could have been, might have been, and we could join Monmouth and others complaining about the unfairness of the seeding and invitation process. Yet again we had no cause of action. Somehow Bob clouded his failure to be a team of relevance in the NCAA process by complaining for all the worthy at large teams that did not get an invite.

Bob we all know the system if fixed so go out and win the tournament, win a regular season championship. Losing to Cal Irvine in the CIT is so unremarkable, so unheralded an event it doesn't even make the score scroll at the bottom of the ESPN, CBS, or Fox cable channels.
    Still no reason to declare "let it go" to players and fans who simply enjoy the game.

Default Re: Cal Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Agree. but he wasn't that far off. Little Rock is the only team that visited the Cajundome this year that was better than UCI. So the comment was not that far off.
    Was it though? I know it gets some folks panties in a wad, but you could say LaTech's team last year was better than UCI. They won their league, similar record, but went to NIT and won two games. And although Evansville technically didn't play in the dome, they were better than UCI. ULM's teams over the last two years were at least as good, and GaSt's 2 years ago was probably better. I just didn't see that much from them that said they were that great. It took a way below average outside shooting performance for us and an above average outside shooting performance from them to escape out of here with a 1 pt victory.

Oh, and hey, where was the band last night???

Z, all we gotta remember is we were not NCAA, or NIT worthy. Yes, we could have been, might have been, and we could join Monmouth and others complaining about the unfairness of the seeding and invitation process. Yet again we had no cause of action. Somehow Bob clouded his failure to be a team of relevance in the NCAA process by complaining for all the worthy at large teams that did not get an invite.

Bob we all know the system if fixed so go out and win the tournament, win a regular season championship. Losing to Cal Irvine in the CIT is so unremarkable, so unheralded an event it doesn't even make the score scroll at the bottom of the ESPN, CBS, or Fox cable channels.
    The only people who attach importance to this event are the people who do so to try and tear it down. Marlin didn't brag about making the CIT. He never claimed it was a "remarkable" or "hearalded" event. Nobody here did either.

There are people here who care about this team and are happy to watch them play more basketball. And there are coaches and players on this team who were excited to play more games and get more practice in against decent competition. I don't know why some people feel the need to take time out of their day to take a huge dump on the program they supposedly support.

If you don't care about this that's cool. Go do something else with your life. Stop trying to undermine your own players and fans and coaches.

Express isn't undermining the program, he is simply demanding accountability from a man we pay nearly half a million dollars a year to recruit good players and win with them.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Express isn't undermining the program, he is simply demanding accountability from a man we pay nearly half a million dollars a year to recruit good players and win with them.
    No, he was putting words in his mouth then building some weird conspiracy theory around it.

I've got no problem with criticism against Marlin. I'm VERY disappointed in this year. I don't expect us to win the conference every year, but this was supposed to be the year we put it all together and it didn't happen. Our recruits didn't get the job done. I don't know enough about coaching to say if they did a good job or not, but at the end of the day it falls on Marlin's shoulders.

But that's not what express and z were criticizing.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I think its fair to say the better team won last night. We should all at least come to grips with the fact that in order for the Cajuns to win last night against UCI, they had to shoot well and defend. UCI was the better team coming into the Cajun Dome, even BOP acknowledge that they are probably the best team remaining in CIT. Well the Cajuns did defend well at times, especially in the second half of the game, but it wasn't enough to overcome their shooting woes from the perimeter. We all knew that was this teams weakness coming in to the game and last night did nothing to change the narrative on the 2015-16 Cajuns MBB team.

Let me join you Mike in saying that no one quit last night and these kids faught to the final buzzer, actually playing like they had something to play for in the end. I'm appreciative of their effort and I will wish all of the seniors the best of luck in life going forward, regardless of where their careers may take them in the future.

At this point, there really isn't mush else to say other then to repeat your statement that recruiting must improve for this basketball program to move forward.
    This is a good post btw. Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post

Ditto!

I will say it. Marlin is a good defensive coach, but he leaves a lot to be desired offensively. Many coaches could have won the SBC with the players we now have. Marlin is not one of them.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Accountability. On many, that quality was lost decades ago.

Z

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . LastLast

Thread Information