Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stockstill - Highest Paid Coach in SBC

Default Stockstill - Highest Paid Coach in SBC

MT head football coach Rick Stockstill’s revamped contract extends through the 2016 season and feature an instant $200,000 raise with an opportunity for a $100,000 annual raise over five years.

Stockstill’s total earnings package in 2009 was $269,155. His 2010 package will be $469,155, according to athletic director Chris Massaro.

Stockstill could then earn a $100,000 raise each year his team meets certain bench marks involving wins, bowl appearances and academic standards, with a maximum possible pay increase of $500,000 over five years — which would potentially put his pay at $969,155 in 2015.

2. Default Re: Stockstill - Highest Paid Coach in SBC

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ MT head football coach Rick Stockstill’s revamped contract extends through the 2016 season and feature an instant $200,000 raise with an opportunity for a $100,000 annual raise over five years.

Stockstill’s total earnings package in 2009 was $269,155. His 2010 package will be $469,155, according to athletic director Chris Massaro.

Stockstill could then earn a $100,000 raise each year his team meets certain bench marks involving wins, bowl appearances and academic standards, with a maximum possible pay increase of $500,000 over five years — which would potentially put his pay at $969,155 in 2015. _
    If we don't step up the salaries around here, our steady and monotnous climb back to respectability will quickly dissappear. Having said that, Stockstill is getting PAID. wow.

Default Re: Stockstill - Highest Paid Coach in SBC

I think MTSU is reaching a bit here. Is Blakely(sp?) compensated this well? Not to down what MTSU did last year, they had a banner year. Still they couldnt beat Troy. For the Sun Belt, I think this is a bit much. Is this possibly shielding him from bolting for a better program?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    _ I think MTSU is reaching a bit here. Is Blakely(sp?) compensated this well? Not to down what MTSU did last year, they had a banner year. Still they couldnt beat Troy. For the Sun Belt, I think this is a bit much. Is this possibly shielding him from bolting for a better program? _
    That is exactly what they are doing. Stockstill took over a program in shambles, I'll admit is tasn't nearly as bad off as UL was when Baldwin left, but he was short 10-15 scholarships due to sanctions. He has since brought MT to the top of the Belt fighting with Troy for supremacy. He deserves the salary increase.

UL should pay in the 400-500K range as well. If we want to keep improving we have to pay for it. You get what you pay for.

UL Football Re: Stockstill - Highest Paid Coach in SBC

I thought Schellenberger at FAU was the highest. Can someone post the head coaches salaries in the Sun Belt?

I think this is the latest.

# Coach Name School Age Conf. Compensation Contract
    Mario Cristobal Florida Int'l. 38 Sun Belt $390,000
    H. Schnellenberger
    Florida Atlantic
    SunBelt
    $375,000

Larry Blakeney
    Troy
    SunBelt
    $300,000

Rick Stockstill
    Middle Tennessee
    SunBelt
    $300,000

Todd Dodge North Texas 45 SunBelt $275,000
    Charlie Weatherbie La. Monroe 53 SunBelt $205,000
    Ricky Bustle
    La. Lafayette
    SunBelt
    $200,000

Steve Roberts
    Arkansas State
    SunBelt
    $200,000

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ If we don't step up the salaries around here, our steady and monotnous climb back to respectability will quickly dissappear. Having said that, Stockstill is getting PAID. wow. _
    SO, where do you think they get their money from, Tennessee, no BOOSTERS.

SO JOIN THE RCAF AND GIVE BIG.

GEAUX CAJUNS

8. Default Re: Stockstill - Highest Paid Coach in SBC

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim View Post
    _ SO, where do you think they get their money from, Tennessee, no BOOSTERS.

SO JOIN THE RCAF AND GIVE BIG.

GEAUX CAJUNS _
    I'm probably the youngest member of the RCAF; but thanks for the lecture.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ I'm probably the youngest member of the RCAF; but thanks for the lecture. _
    I'm 24. I'd venture to say that if it started while I was in school, I would have joined then. Wish there were more like us

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    _ I think this is the latest.

# Coach Name School Age Conf. Compensation Contract
    Mario Cristobal Florida Int'l. 38 Sun Belt $390,000
    H. Schnellenberger
    Florida Atlantic
    SunBelt
    $375,000

Larry Blakeney
    Troy
    SunBelt
    $300,000

Rick Stockstill
    Middle Tennessee
    SunBelt
    $300,000

Todd Dodge North Texas 45 SunBelt $275,000
    Charlie Weatherbie La. Monroe 53 SunBelt $205,000
    Ricky Bustle
    La. Lafayette
    SunBelt
    $200,000

Steve Roberts
    Arkansas State
    SunBelt
    $200,000 _

So this is Bustle's 9th year. Has he EVER gotten a raise? If state universities in Louisiana cap salaries at $225,000, why is he not getting the maximum? Seems like he should be paid the $225K max and have that supplemented by $75K through the RCAF to get him to $300K minimally. If Bustle is replaced next year, we will likely have to pay $350K - $500K for another coach. It is time for UL to step up in many areas from being the lowest of the lowest in everything we do. With where Bustle started to where we are now, beating a Big 12 school, going 6-6 in two of the past 3 years, and getting UL football back to respectability, his next year should warrant his getting this kind of salary. It will also be less of a jump to a much higher salary if he has to be replaced.

We don't give our coaches enough credit for accomplishments. Coach Stokely beat a ranked Texas A&M, was playing very competitively and beating schools like Memphis, E. Carolina, N. Illinois, S. Miss, etc. then got a cut back in football funding that led to losing seasons and his having to be replaced. UL was on the road to serious respectability when Dr. A undermined funding and Stokely was the scapegoat. We make the hiring blunder with Baldwin.

Then, it takes the right coach in Bustle to come along and pull us out from under the cr*p UL created. His compensation over 8 years has been the absolute minimal in 1A football. So, maybe he should be compensated this year at $300,000 whether he continues or is replaced. If replaced, that coach will demand a lot more. Coach Bustle should be rewarded for what he has done for UL over the past 8 years regardless of what happens this coming season. JMO.

Forget Middle and Troy. In two years FIU will be tough. Bank on it. They have the highest atheletic budget of all Sun Belt schools and a coach who can motivate kids. They have taken two great guys from our backyard this year. The where guys that other big programs where looking at also. Hopefully they had big shoes to fill and promised them early playing time, otherwise we're in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    _ Forget Middle and Troy. In two years FIU will be tough. Bank on it. They have the highest atheletic budget of all Sun Belt schools and a coach who can motivate kids. They have taken two great guys from our backyard this year. The where guys that other big programs where looking at also. Hopefully they had big shoes to fill and promised them early playing time, otherwise we're in trouble. _
    That is until they get caught for playing ineligible players and violating NCAA recruiting rules. Then they will get put in their place. They are walking a very fine line with Christobal.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ That is exactly what they are doing. Stockstill took over a program in shambles, I'll admit is tasn't nearly as bad off as UL was when Baldwin left, but he was short 10-15 scholarships due to sanctions. He has since brought MT to the top of the Belt fighting with Troy for supremacy. He deserves the salary increase.

UL should pay in the 400-500K range as well. If we want to keep improving we have to pay for it. You get what you pay for. _

Stockstill and MT have not been at the head of the SBC. They didn't win it this year and I don't think they've won it in recent memory, if ever. They had a tremendous year but have underachieved several of the past few years and he was on a bit of the hotseat before this year. I think its a bit premature. However, he almost went to Memphis and I applaud their administration for putting money in his pocket to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    _ Forget Middle and Troy. In two years FIU will be tough. Bank on it. They have the highest atheletic budget of all Sun Belt schools and a coach who can motivate kids. They have taken two great guys from our backyard this year. The where guys that other big programs where looking at also. Hopefully they had big shoes to fill and promised them early playing time, otherwise we're in trouble. _

And this was the year that FIU was banking on that breakout year and they floundered. They've been getting quality players for a while, especially on defense but they still haven't put it together. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that they are in no better a position than they were two years ago and they haven't gotten it done yet.

Stockstill turned down better money at both Memphis and East Carolina. He took the team to a bowl in 2006 (Motor City) and 2009, winning the New Orleans Bowl. Defensive coordinator Manny Diaz left for Mississippi State, but most of the team returns in 2010. Plus he has restored the academic and APR issues. Bottom line is that MTSU is rewarding him for staying instead of jumping ship. If MTSU wins again in 2010, he will get more looks from other schools.

As for FIU, few teams in the country dealt with more injuries in 2009. I believe the Golden Panthers had at least eight season-ending injuries to starters or backups and ended up playing the nation's second-most true freshmen (17) behind only Tulane (18) and Texas A&M (18). In 2010, their projected starting QB is former Mississippi State All-SEC Freshman Wesley Carroll, plus WR TY Hilton is back. Their backs are young but talented. Once their line play improves, they will be a beast with all of the talent there and the league's largest budget. ($21 million of the school's $24 million budget is from just student fees.)

igeaux.mobi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information