Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Bat First at Home?

Default Why Bat First at Home?

I've been curious about this for a while. When we are playing at home why does Coach Lotief choose to bat first? Do we gain a statistical or psychological advantage by doing this?

When I played baseball and softball in my younger days I was told that being the home team and batting second gives the home team an extra advantage. The reasoning is that if the team batting last scores first, that means that the team batting first has already used their three outs for that inning in the top of the inning, and thus has fewer opportunities to come back.

Please note that I'm not preaching that we should change. I'm just curious as to why we do it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Nu

Default Re: Why Bat First at Home?

Coach has done this for quite some time. I think he stated that he would prefer to have his girls bat first to get an early lead if possible.

I think he has enough confidence in his girls to get an early run or 10 to really put the pressure on the other team.

I believe Stevie P always says that Coach Mike likes to bat first so they have a opportunity to jump on the opponent

When you think of UL softball, what are they known for? Their explosive bats. IMO, the hitters set the tone for the rest of the game. They're the spark plug for the defense and pitching. No matter the reason, Mike knows what he's doing and so does his team. Those kids are good!

It is non conference games and it give your team an extra at bat if you are leading in the 7th. You also get more experience for you pitcher if you are pitching in pressure situations early in the year.

SHOCK & AWE

7. Default Re: Why Bat First at Home?

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    It is non conference games and it give your team an extra at bat if you are leading in the 7th. You also get more experience for you pitcher if you are pitching in pressure situations early in the year.
    ---This I can see but not in meaningful games----Why would every major league team take the home last inning since the game started???

I never even knew that was an option. Is that just a softball thing or can baseball teams also choose to bat first?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---This I can see but not in meaningful games----Why would every major league team take the home last inning since the game started???
    Because it is a major league baseball rule that the home team bats last.

How can you build a team for the post season if you do not put some pressure on the team. I think it is a great strategy.

Tournament play

I've seen this typically for tournaments and not once you start regular games (OOC or conference).

The reasoning is always to "jump" on an opponent from the get go by scoring early, which the softball team is very adept at doing. But another reason that probably doesn't get mentioned often, is it prepares the team to play on the road where they will never get the last bat.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Why Bat First at Home?

Quote Originally Posted by NuForce View Post
    I've been curious about this for a while. When we are playing at home why does Coach Lotief choose to bat first? Do we gain a statistical or psychological advantage by doing this?

When I played baseball and softball in my younger days I was told that being the home team and batting second gives the home team an extra advantage. The reasoning is that if the team batting last scores first, that means that the team batting first has already used their three outs for that inning in the top of the inning, and thus has fewer opportunities to come back.

Please note that I'm not preaching that we should change. I'm just curious as to why we do it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Nu
    Coach wants to give the team 21 outs. If home team and leading after 7. pitchers have pitched 21 outs but his offense would have only batted for 18 outs. Trying to give the ladies additional bats against outside competion early in the year.

14. Default Re: Why Bat First at Home?

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Because it is a major league baseball rule that the home team bats last.

How can you build a team for the post season if you do not put some pressure on the team. I think it is a great strategy.
    ---Is it a college and HS rule---I agree in games where you are gonna be double digit winners, just not a championship game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjames View Post
    Coach wants to give the team 21 outs. If home team and leading after 7. pitchers have pitched 21 outs but his offense would have only batted for 18 outs. Trying to give the ladies additional bats against outside competion early in the year.
    Never thought of it that way. makes sense to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information