Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cajuns get first road victory

1. UL Basketball Cajuns get first road victory

STATESBORO, Ga. — It took 14 games and more than two months, but the Louisiana men's basketball team finally picked up its first road win of the season by dropping Georgia Southern 74-65. Big man Shawn Long had 23 points and 17 rebounds for the...

The rest of the story
    THE Advocate

Default Re: Cajuns get first road victory

Could this be the drip that broke the dam? It would be nice if this was the turning point of the season for road games. I know its just one, but maybe they just had to break through that mental barrier on "road" games to start winning on the road.

3. Default Re: Cajuns get first road victory

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    Could this be the drip that broke the dam? It would be nice if this was the turning point of the season for road games. I know its just one, but maybe they just had to break through that mental barrier on "road" games to start winning on the road.
    Yep, I was thinking the same.

The fact part if it was mental is not up for debate.

Saturday will be a very difficult test against a team that's 32-1 in their last 33 home games.

We'll be confident going in. We'll see if that and solid play can get us a road sweep.

5. Default Re: Cajuns get first road victory

Beat GSU on saturday, come home and reel off a few demonstrative victories, gain some confidence and then finish strong. That's the path. We CAN NOT be inconsistent for the rest of the year and expect to show well in the tourney. I think the odds are in our favor, based on the amount of shots we've missed in the first half of the year. (also the amount of shots that have gone in against us). Odds will always even themselves out.

So with 15 remaining regular season games left, what do you think they will do. Is 11-4 doable? That would produce a 17-12 season heading into SB tournament and give them confidence.

7. Default Re: Cajuns get first road victory

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Beat GSU on saturday, come home and reel off a few demonstrative victories, gain some confidence and then finish strong. That's the path. We CAN NOT be inconsistent for the rest of the year and expect to show well in the tourney. I think the odds are in our favor, based on the amount of shots we've missed in the first half of the year. (also the amount of shots that have gone in against us). Odds will always even themselves out.
    ---Might be a big part of what Marlin referred to as the basketball gods---Got to admit the opponents' 3 point shooting had seemed a bit skewed!!

Yes, the opponents three point percentage has gone down compared to the early part of the year. However, our three point percentage is in the 20's which is one of the worst in the nation. That has not begun to improve which is a concern. What is really frustrating is that the guys do much better in that regard in their practice shooting drills than do they do in actual games. I attribute that to being handle the pressure of performing in true competition. That is part of mental toughness which is something I question for this team. Also, the same guys were one of the best teams in the conference last year in three point percentage which helped them win 11 out of their last 13 last season. Perhaps they guys played better than they really are late last season and the odds are just catching up with them this season.

9. Default Re: Cajuns get first road victory

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Yes, the opponents three point percentage has gone down compared to the early part of the year. However, our three point percentage is in the 20's which is one of the worst in the nation. That has not begun to improve which is a concern. What is really frustrating is that the guys do much better in that regard in their practice shooting drills than do they do in actual games. I attribute that to being handle the pressure of performing in true competition. That is part of mental toughness which is something I question for this team. Also, the same guys were one of the best teams in the conference last year in three point percentage which helped them win 11 out of their last 13 last season. Perhaps they guys played better than they really are late last season and the odds are just catching up with them this season.
    Hmm.. I didn't see the odds evening out in that scenario, but that's interesting Mike. And coming from you, it really gives me pause.

What I find interesting is all we have been hearing is when these guards break out of their shooting slump this team will be much better. Last night we were 6 of 10 from three in the first half, the best they have shot it all year and GA Southern was right in the game the whole way. The 2nd half when the threes weren't falling and we started pounding it in down low to Long and Washington is when they broke the game open.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    What I find interesting is all we have been hearing is when these guards break out of their shooting slump this team will be much better. Last night we were 6 of 10 from three in the first half, the best they have shot it all year and GA Southern was right in the game the whole way. The 2nd half when the threes weren't falling and we started pounding it in down low to Long and Washington is when they broke the game open.
    We actually broke the game open when Long was on the bench. Washington and Walker were handling the boards fine at that point while the rest of the team clamped down on defense during that stretch.

I think I heard we were 0-10 on 3s in the 2nd half. Not too good.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    I think I heard we were 0-10 on 3s in the 2nd half. Not too good.
    That's an understatement.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Cajuns get first road victory

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Last night those 2 shot a combined 77.8% from the floor. Somebody needs to explain why they only shot 18 times between them. It isn't like we don't know who the D1 players on the team are.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Last night those 2 shot a combined 77.8% from the floor. Somebody needs to explain why they only shot 18 times between them. It isn't like we don't know who the D1 players on the team are.
    And weren't we like 0 for 20 in our outside jack-ups?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information