Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2015: UL OC Jay Johnson is Heading Home

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    I imagine Davis will get a world of experience against the Boise defense in his first career start. That'll be a very tough assignment for the guy. I hope he makes it through that first game without getting banged up.
    He's not nearly ready to be the starting quarterback. We'll have to live with it.

He's got great quickness, a good arm. I'm thinking he's going to have a hard time picking up receivers in 2.5 seconds. Anybody would. He'll be on the run more often than not at 2.5 seconds.

Default Re: UL OC Jay Johnson is Heading Home

After what I've seen this year, I'd be happy just to get a win against mcneese. How pathetic

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    He's not nearly ready to be the starting quarterback. We'll have to live with it.

He's got great quickness, a good arm. I'm thinking he's going to have a hard time picking up receivers in 2.5 seconds. Anybody would. He'll be on the run more often than not at 2.5 seconds.
    There's ways to ready an athletic QB, even with our playbook, to get the ball into the hands of playmakers. This is on the coaches. not JD. The vast majority of our fans will judge Davis. How we get ready for that game, even with JD's inexperience, is on the coaches. And there are ways to attack a Boise State, even with a young athlete like JD at the helm.

It will require the entire focus of the preseason preparing for the tempo (1.5x our norm) required for Boise State. I doubt that's what we'll do. but that is what we should do. If we're prepared to attempt an upset of Boise State. we'll bust McNeese in the nads. and it will follow through after that. Our traditionally prepared slow churned vanilla isn't going to get it done.

4. Default Re: UL OC Jay Johnson is Heading Home

Hey folks -- I come in peace -- I don't want to ruffle feathers just curious about what my Gophers got with Coach Johnson? It looks like he runs basically the same offense as we did under our old OC, and from everything I've read he seems like an all round "good guy". How is he on the recruiting side of the deal? Also, any truth to the rumblings that he wasn't able to really implement the offense that he wanted to at the UofL?

5. Default Re: UL OC Jay Johnson is Heading Home

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Minnesota doesn't use a traditional drop back passer. They run primarily out of the pistol and run some power option.
    A Minnesota guy here -- yep, Clutch has it right on our office. Also, I'd be really surprised if Haack ends up at Minnesota. No rumblings about that happening on any of our threads.

6. Default Re: UL OC Jay Johnson is Heading Home

Quote Originally Posted by livingat45north View Post
    Hey folks -- I come in peace -- I don't want to ruffle feathers just curious about what my Gophers got with Coach Johnson? It looks like he runs basically the same offense as we did under our old OC, and from everything I've read he seems like an all round "good guy". How is he on the recruiting side of the deal? Also, any truth to the rumblings that he wasn't able to really implement the offense that he wanted to at the UofL?
    The consensus of UL fans (though not universal) was that he complied with coach Hudspeth's design.

7. Default Re: UL OC Jay Johnson is Heading Home

Johnson's landed in Minnesota at a good time -- next year he'll have a senior QB with both RBs returning, a slightly better offensive line and potentially better TEs and WRs. Plus a much easier schedule when compared to last year's. All that and being able to move back home probably made it a good decision for him. Any thoughts on his ability as a recruiter?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by livingat45north View Post
    Johnson's landed in Minnesota at a good time -- next year he'll have a senior QB with both RBs returning, a slightly better offensive line and potentially better TEs and WRs. Plus a much easier schedule when compared to last year's. All that and being able to move back home probably made it a good decision for him. Any thoughts on his ability as a recruiter?
    You've got yourself a gem in Jay Johnson. Question is, how long will you be able to hang onto him? He is head coach material and extremely respected amongst coaches. The things you're hearing about him "not being able to implement" is a direct result of our stubborn HC.

You won't be disappointed.

Yeah, I will be a Gopher fan this year. Geaux Jay!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Good for him. Good to see a former Cajun OC getting his shot at the big schools.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Just convinces me more that he was never the problem with our lackluster offense last season, and his influence in the gameplans was continuously shrinking since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Just convinces me more that he was never the problem with our lackluster offense last season, and his influence in the gameplans was continuously shrinking since 2013.
    All to massage Hud's ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    His reputation was good enough to gain employment from two P5 programs to date. Coach Johnson is one of the most celebral football minds when it comes to offense according to a few coaches I've interviewed. He was never the problem at UL.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    His reputation was good enough to gain employment from two P5 programs to date. Coach Johnson is one of the most celebral football minds when it comes to offense according to a few coaches I've interviewed. He was never the problem at UL.
    Agree very good coach, even a better person. Great wife and son got to know them extremely well as we carpooled for a few years when our boys were teammates. I spent many weekends sitting next to Jay and Lori at ball games and valued my visits with the two of them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information