Thread: Cajuns have work to do on defense in offseason

1. UL Football Cajuns have work to do on defense in offseason

UL — The first year for Louisiana's all-new defensive coaching staff didn't go so hot. The Ragin' Cajuns yielded 31.8 points per game, their worst mark since 2010, and allowed opposing offenses to average 5.96 yards per play, their worst.

The rest of the story
    THE Advocate

Default Re: Cajuns have work to do on defense in offseason

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    UL — The first year for Louisiana's all-new defensive coaching staff didn't go so hot. The Ragin' Cajuns yielded 31.8 points per game, their worst mark since 2010, and allowed opposing offenses to average 5.96 yards per play, their worst.

The rest of the story
    THE Advocate

Hud, "I like what we are doing defensively." REALLY? We have hardly slowed anyone down in 5 years. We've out scored people yes, but play shut down defense? Not. We give up big plays over and over. Better plug in some jcs quick and light a fire under this "new" defensive staff.

App state this year and Troy defense a couple years during their championship run are the only shutdown defenses the SBC has ever seenso 3 teams out of 150+ have had shutdown defenses. If that's what everyone is waiting for I think you will all continue to be very disappointed. Get the offense back on track and let's hope for a solid defense.or opportunistic defense. There aren't many shutdown defenses in college football much less the SBC.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I don't have a problem with letting Melvin continue to work to install his defensive scheme. I'm not sure what Hud was saying he liked from this past season. Besides getting some JUCOs to help out, Hud needs to completely abandon his obsession with "creating turnovers". He may choose a player or two that he or someone with specific ball stripping/ball jumping skills knows how to teach. but you never ever tell an entire defensive unit to "go out and create turnovers". Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I don't have a problem with letting Melvin continue to work to install his defensive scheme. I'm not sure what Hud was saying he liked from this past season. Besides getting some JUCOs to help out, Hud needs to completely abandon his obsession with "creating turnovers". He may choose a player or two that he or someone with specific ball stripping/ball jumping skills knows how to teach. but you never ever tell an entire defensive unit to "go out and create turnovers". Never.
    That was one of the silliest things I have ever seen a staff do.

The zone read has destroyed defensive football for the G5 schools. We simply can't get the talent needed to shut down that offense. The best you can do is keep everything in front of you and every so often attack with a blitz, but if you don't have the secondary, you're screwed either way.

The only time the zone read can be shut down is when the QB can't throw or you try to run it from a tight, power formation.

Thread Information