Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Help with dorms

Default Re: Help with dorms

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajuns_fan View Post
    So, Voorhies Hall was the dorm closest to Johnston, where the day care center is now.and McCullough was near the park, in between Caffery and Roythe three were demolished to build legacy park. Right? Or was McCullough the one near Johnston? I always got those two confused.
    McCullough was by the park.

This one.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    The oldest were Roy and Caffery. McCollough stood between them. Both were suites with a bath for four rooms two facing Rex two facing the back.
    They were at the corner of Girard Park and Lewis Street. Roy and Caffery were twins. The had jack up slabs for the floors. The floor slabs along with the roof were constructed on the ground and the slabs were jacked up into position. The roof slab was constructed first and the first floor slab was last. They were unusual and ugly buildings to say the least.

Voorhies and McCollough were imploded on a Saturday morning on the same day that one of the space shuttles had a failed re-entry and burned up.

3. Default Re: Help with dorms

Oh, I've got a clear memory. Just couldn't remember street names.

here's a web page with some interesting info on some of the former and existing buildings

http://www.emporis.com/complex/11049.fayette-la-usa

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    McCullough was by the park.

This one.

I was on the balcony (or terrace?) at Fletcher Hall for that demolition. Was a sight to see. Had a buddy of mine who taped it and put Beautiful Disaster by 311 as the music playing while it happened.

wasn't Voories the high rise that the elevator never worked correctly.
    One of the great things about Stokes was I think I saw my floor advisor once in the full year that I lived there

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    wasn't Voories the high rise that the elevator never worked correctly.
    One of the great things about Stokes was I think I saw my floor advisor once in the full year that I lived there
    Yep it was right behind the old McDonalds (behind the Cajun Red Zone for you youngsters that don't remember the old location of McD's)

Billy. Cowan was my RA when I first moved into Voorhies. I lasted in that dorm about 4 weeks than moved into the frat house.

8. Default Re: Help with dorms

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    They were at the corner of Girard Park and Lewis Street. Roy and Caffery were twins. The had jack up slabs for the floors. The floor slabs along with the roof were constructed on the ground and the slabs were jacked up into position. The roof slab was constructed first and the first floor slab was last. They were unusual and ugly buildings to say the least.

Voorhies and McCollough were imploded on a Saturday morning on the same day that one of the space shuttles had a failed re-entry and burned up.
    ----I POSTED THIS BEFORE BUT I THINK I WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO SLEEP IN McCULLOUGH----Fall of '63 and reported to Summer practice and couldn't sleep in the non AC Roy Dorm----Took a blanket and pillow and snuck into the then non opened AC dorm----Guess we moved into it in about a month or so!!!

I remember working for Parking and Transit (post student ticket writer), and we were went with Joey Dudley to basically scavenge anything left behind in Voorhies and McCullough before they were blowed up. We found a wondrous bounty of those Freshman orientation packets that included soap, shaving cream, and candy.we took boxes of them. I didn't have to buy shaving cream until I graduated in 2005. Cajunstro might still have some shaving cream left.

The best thing about stokes was the washatwria was right behind it. Didn't have to go far to wash clothes

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Oh, I've got a clear memory. Just couldn't remember street names.
    Did you know that Lewis was Woodson Street prior to 1977-78

12. Default Re: Help with dorms

No I used current maps.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    I remember working for Parking and Transit (post student ticket writer), and we were went with Joey Dudley to basically scavenge anything left behind in Voorhies and McCullough before they were blowed up. We found a wondrous bounty of those Freshman orientation packets that included soap, shaving cream, and candy.we took boxes of them. I didn't have to buy shaving cream until I graduated in 2005. Cajunstro might still have some shaving cream left.
    dude I was working for housing and got cases of it too and graduated in 05

they sent us in to strip all the aluminum grills from ac vents

14. Default Re: Help with dorms

Quote Originally Posted by oldalum View Post
    Did you know that Lewis was Woodson Street prior to 1977-78
    Professor Woodson was a UL's first football coach.

Irony is it was Edwin Lewis Stephens that named it Woodson street in the first place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information