Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best coach in UL football history?

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    Baldwin. I would be surprised if there were much disagreement on this.
    Yeah, just like this years uni's, I think this is some pretty much all Ragin Paginers will agree on.

Default Re: Who is the best coach in UL football history?

Those of you who don't think Nelson Stokley was the best coach EVER at this school never spent any time with him.

The man was a freaking genius. He won games as an independent with virtually no budget. And, seriously, he was brilliant. I would have conversations with him and be really amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    Those of you who don't think Nelson Stokley was the best coach EVER at this school never spent any time with him.

The man was a freaking genius. He won games as an independent with virtually no budget. And, seriously, he was brilliant. I would have conversations with him and be really amazed.
    No, never spent any personal time with him. I was a bar tender back in the late 80's of a place he and the other coaches frequented very often.

But saying he was the best coach EVER at this school may be a bit over dramatic. Like I said in my previous posts, I can't say who is the best because it is hard to compare era's. But like I have also stated, he would have never made it past his 6 year if he was coaching today because of the "what have you done for me lately" fans we have today. Not saying this is right, just saying this is what today's society and fan base has become.

Succeed always, fail never and if you do, good-bye.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    No, never spent any personal time with him. I was a bar tender back in the late 80's of a place he and the other coaches frequented very often.

But saying he was the best coach EVER at this school may be a bit over dramatic. Like I said in my previous posts, I can't say who is the best because it is hard to compare era's. But like I have also stated, he would have never made it past his 6 year if he was coaching today because of the "what have you done for me lately" fans we have today. Not saying this is right, just saying this is what today's society and fan base has become.

Dude.

If Stoke had taken this job in 2010, you're right. There is no way he would have made year 6. A P5 program would have hired him away by now.

Sorry sir but you are so wrong. To say stokley was the best coach ever would be a very accurate statement with no drama at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Dude.

If Stoke had taken this job in 2010, you're right. There is no way he would have made year 6. A P5 program would have hired him away by now.
    Dude,

If he was that good, another school would have called on him. Never happened, wouldn't have happened.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Dude,

If he was that good, another school would have called on him. Never happened, wouldn't have happened.

Sorry to bust your bubble.
    You don't have the pin to bust that bubble. Hud has some personality assets that Nelson didn't have. But Nelson was an incredible head coach, with a genius offensive mind, and an eye for talent and what to do with it that challenged the very best in the game. It was a different day and time. There weren't enough bowls and TV, and no social media to popularize teams and coaches. Old coaches were fixtures at the big schools. Nelson was the real deal. Our school limited what could have been. not Nelson.

My brain and my liver may be a little fried from bourbon, but I seem to remember LSUA&MBR wanting Stokley.

9. Default Re: Who is the best coach in UL football history?

I won a T-Shirt from him (at Pete's) when I asked him why he punted from the 40 then sky kicked to the 35.

10. Default Re: Who is the best coach in UL football history?

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    My brain and my liver may be a little fried from bourbon, but I seem to remember LSUA&MBR wanting Stokley.
    ----IF YOU WANT THE ENTIRE TRUTHFUL STORY----go to Petes and ask Preston the deal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I won a T-Shirt from him (at Pete's) when I asked him why he punted from the 40 then sky kicked to the 35.
    Coach Stokley did love to punt and play defense. We passed up a 45-46 yard field goal against Tulane in the dome one year to corner kick and pin them deep.

Great coaches bring great players. Coach Stokley's players are still hanging out on the wall over the student section at Cajun Field.

13. Default Re: Who is the best coach in UL football history?

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    Great coaches bring great players. Coach Stokley's players are still hanging out on the wall over the student section at Cajun Field.
    Well he started the wall .

Brilliant move in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Several board of supervisors members pushed for his hiring the 1st year he was at ULhe was interviewed

Thank you BOPyou know exactly what your statement means to mewe were selling a dump and still getting great athletesI owe my career to that man.I still have great memories of those years1986 to 1994.every time I walk into Cajun FieldI was privileged and honored to be a part of that staff

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information