Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Hudspeth gets more specific on offensive changes

Default Re: Hudspeth gets more specific on offensive changes

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    A game in which he should have played the entire 4th quarter
    I may be an old fart, but I agree with you!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Including the adults on the sidelines.
    The fact that we had personnel issues this year has completely blinded many fans from the reality that our coaching staff ineffectively utilized the talent they had. We also have too many folks that fail to realize that we never beat a good team in our prior seasons, took some beat downs by many, and we required late heroics to edge out some pretty weak SBC teams. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    The fact that we had personnel issues this year has completely blinded many fans from the reality that our coaching staff ineffectively utilized the talent they had. We also have too many folks that fail to realize that we never beat a good team in our prior seasons, took some beat downs by many, and we required late heroics to edge out some pretty weak SBC teams. Oh well.
    Agree totally. Each year after the first, the expectation was to win the conference and be able to compete at a higher level. 4 years later, going on Hud's 6th year, we have not won the conference outright, and fall flat of the goals he set. It's worth being able to note these things now, bring them out and talked about, before the program is back down on it's knees. Like Hud mentioned at one of his press conferences earlier in the season, that they just didn't forget how to coach. Well, you know, perception becomes reality if it's shown over and over, for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Hudspeth has always wanted a dual threat guy. That has never changed. What Hudpseth is saying here is that the way we are running the zone read has to change. We have slowly morphed into some kind of power zone read without much read and were caught without the horses to do that.

I took the article to say that we are going to spread the field again as much as possible and play guys where they are best suited to contribute. That's the "flow" thing he is talking about.

He's admitting that the gameplan for the season was all wrong for various reasons. We knew that. Now, it's been said. Let's put this to bed and get going with the reboot of Louisiana football.

I see a very intense off-season coming and I am looking forward to watching J.D. tear it up next season and the young defense play a lot better in year 2 of the scheme and the staff.

Next year is going to be fun. It's going to be a fresh start. The slate will be wiped clean. I welcome the Jordan Davis era and this new chapter of Louisiana football.
    I would agree with all of this but I do caution about annointing a young player as the next best thing. Some guys around here did that with Haack after he came in spot duty and played well at times. There is a big difference from coming in and putting a good drive together and having to prepare week in and week out as the starter and having the keys to the ship all by yourself. That's a big responsibility that perhaps not many are comfortable having. Its also different when every opponent has the time to prepare for you as well versus being able to come in and be the monkey in the wrench versus the known commodity. I'd like to see a lot more of Davis this week and in the spring before I declare this his era but I like what I've seen thus far. Lets not forget about Dion Ray who, by many accounts, is right up there with Davis in talent.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I would agree with all of this but I do caution about annointing a young player as the next best thing. Some guys around here did that with Haack after he came in spot duty and played well at times. There is a big difference from coming in and putting a good drive together and having to prepare week in and week out as the starter and having the keys to the ship all by yourself. That's a big responsibility that perhaps not many are comfortable having. Its also different when every opponent has the time to prepare for you as well versus being able to come in and be the monkey in the wrench versus the known commodity. I'd like to see a lot more of Davis this week and in the spring before I declare this his era but I like what I've seen thus far. Lets not forget about Dion Ray who, by many accounts, is right up there with Davis in talent.
    Fair enough.

I just see no reason in beating around the bush anymore. We are going to gameplan on J.D. being the starter come conference play next season. I would be shocked if that wasn't what Coach Hud is eyeing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Fair enough.

I just see no reason in beating around the bush anymore. We are going to gameplan on J.D. being the starter come conference play next season. I would be shocked if that wasn't what Coach Hud is eyeing right now.
    Just a feeling I get when HUD says he doesn't deserve it, means he doesn't hold himself like a starter. Probably a little immature, follower not a leader. Does he he there early? Leave late? Watch extra film? Is he trying to take the job? Or wait his turn? These are all just guesses, but when a coach is adamant about a guy not deserving to start, that's what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Just a feeling I get when HUD says he doesn't deserve it, means he doesn't hold himself like a starter. Probably a little immature, follower not a leader. Does he he there early? Leave late? Watch extra film? Is he trying to take the job? Or wait his turn? These are all just guesses, but when a coach is adamant about a guy not deserving to start, that's what I think.
    You are probably right.

So does this mean that we are going to have another QB competition this spring/summer/fallpossibly late fall, like this year?

Hud ran the veer at Delta St., under Mullen that is a run offense (Think Dak Prescott,Tim Tebow,J.T. Barret, Blaine Gauthier, T. Broadway)

Hud likes a power run/option offense that allows play action down the field. Our Pistol offense is about as close to a modern day triple option as you are going to get. You need an athlete at QB. Not necessarily a true QB.

Brooks may transfer. Just like Cardele Jones at Ohio St. The kids are good QB'S but they just don't fit the offense these coaches like.

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    So does this mean that we are going to have another QB competition this spring/summer/fallpossibly late fall, like this year?

Brooks may transfer.
    To me, the only person who should have his spot locked up is Steven Coutts. I'm fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The difference is the way they looked doing it. Yes Haack came off the bench and played well last year and he hasn't been a bust this year but he never looked as fluid and natural as what I saw from JD on Saturday. I'm not appointing Davis the next Cam Newton or the savior of the program, but his ability is undeniable. I'd put money on this being his team for the next 3 years.

It was coach speak to be respectful of his current starter. Even if he has no intention of starting Haack next season, he sure as hell wants a seasoned backup.

im still of the opinion Nixon needs to be in the backfield with Eli and someone else at QB. With what was on the roster this year.seems to me that could of been a winning combination. But I'm no football coach. I think the two would of complimented each other greatly in the running game and provide a second threat to successfully run the ball ultimately softening things up for the passing game

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post

Hud ran the veer at Delta St., under Mullen that is a run offense (Think Dak Prescott,Tim Tebow,J.T. Barret, Blaine Gauthier, T. Broadway)

Hud likes a power run/option offense that allows play action down the field. Our Pistol offense is about as close to a modern day triple option as you are going to get. You need an athlete at QB. Not necessarily a true QB.

Brooks may transfer. Just like Cardele Jones at Ohio St. The kids are good QB'S but they just don't fit the offense these coaches like.
    Your reaching by putting those 2 in the same category. And cardele jones would do just fine in that system but he's not as good as JT Barrett. He's gonna go somewhere to play and get drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    It was coach speak to be respectful of his current starter. Even if he has no intention of starting Haack next season, he sure as hell wants a seasoned backup.
    No.you don't say a kid doesn't deserve something 3 times if you aren't trying to drive something home.he was in the QB competition this summer for about 15 minutes. Now with his ability what does that tell you? He didn't say he wasn't ready, said he didn't deserve it.

No.you don't say a kid doesn't deserve something 3 times if you aren't trying to drive something home.he was in the QB competition this summer for about 15 minutes. Now with his ability what does that tell you? He didn't say he wasn't ready, said he didn't deserve it.
    Unless he's causing chemistry issues or in trouble, why would Hudspeth not play the best player at the most critical position? And if he is causing problems behind the scenes, why would Hud even insert him into the equation at this point? If he thinks Davis is ready & is not playing him bc he doesn't put as much time in, no wonder we suck.

I'm not expecting you to be able to answer those questions, just thinking out loud.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information