Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Hudspeth gets more specific on offensive changes

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Hudspeth gets more specific on offensive changes

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Exactly! Nixon was never a dual threat QB.
    My guess is that he's saying that Jordan Davis fits his idea of the original system he likes. He tweaked the system he likes over this past year. supposedly. to fit two QBs that had patiently waited their turn. Neither Haack or Nixon fit the dual threat that Hud likes. Nixon isn't strong enough of a passing threat. and Haack isn't strong enough of a running threat to meet the definition. and/or neither have the QB presence in the game to command an offense to victory. I think he played the middle too much as a coach. and that screwed us more than the QBs did.

I believe Hud is paving the way for Jordan Davis (or Dion Ray) to clearly win out the QB competition going into next year. I don't care who he plays on the field if it gives us the best chance of winning. Every player is a Ragin Cajun. We had issues in just about every category. so I guess if I were the coach, I'd BS us too. and just go back in the staff meeting room and start brainstorming for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    My guess is that he's saying that Jordan Davis fits his idea of the original system he likes. He tweaked the system he likes over this past year. supposedly. to fit two QBs that had patiently waited their turn. Neither Haack or Nixon fit the dual threat that Hud likes. Nixon isn't strong enough of a passing threat. and Haack isn't strong enough of a running threat to meet the definition. and/or neither have the QB presence in the game to command an offense to victory. I think he played the middle too much as a coach. and that screwed us more than the QBs did.

I believe Hud is paving the way for Jordan Davis (or Dion Ray) to clearly win out the QB competition going into next year. I don't care who he plays on the field if it gives us the best chance of winning. Every player is a Ragin Cajun. We had issues in just about every category. so I guess if I were the coach, I'd BS us too. and just go back in the staff meeting room and start brainstorming for next year.
    And it begs the question, if JD is going to be the man for 3 years, will Dion Ray go to an FCS school or will he play receiver. All I know is we've got to get him on the field. He's too talented to sit on the sideline.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---Well when you top 200 yards running and 250 yards passing against the best team we played, that is pretty dual ----Just typing what the stats say---please don't expand this anymore but at least give the kid credit for one of the great performances in UL history!!!
    It was a very memorable performance Boomer. It was almost one of the best performances ever by a Cajun QB. Unfortunately, that game exposed some fatal flaws in our passing game with him at the helm.

It appears now that if he wants to continue playing for the Cajuns it will be at RB. I hope he embraces this opportunity. He could be very special as a RB. He has tremendous skills that are being wasted with him on the bench. He could emerge neat season as a real team leader. You don't have to be a QB to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    And it begs the question, if JD is going to be the man for 3 years, will Dion Ray go to an FCS school or will he play receiver. All I know is we've got to get him on the field. He's too talented to sit on the sideline.
    The only way Dion Ray sees the field as a QB is if J.D. gets injured or fails completely. He knew who was on the roster when he signed. If he wants to stay at QB, he is going to have to wait his turn or perform miracles in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post

I really hope this is the case.Let the quarterback quarterbacktake advantage of the talent we possess.

I really do not care who the QB is next year, but they better pick a QB by the end of the spring. This bull____ of not knowing or saying who your starter is before the first game is exactly that bull____. If you have use trickery to try and keep a team off guard in your fist game, then it says a lot about your team. We should have learned a lot over the summer with not picking a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    He tried going back to a true dual threat offense when he named Nixon the starting QB. Wasnt that the whole point of doing so?
    Nixon dual threat? I think there is a reason Nixon is mention as a full time running back and that's because he is not effective enough of a passer to be true dual threat.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    We never truly committed to a #1 this year the right way. I think our priority ought to be selecting a #1 around a set of plays that places the best personnel in the best positions. How backups and use of athletes available on the roster works out. that's the next layer of work.

We also need some serious re-evaluation of our receivers. We need to see who rises up as a clutch set of receivers. I wouldn't look so much as their size and speed. and see if they're great at getting open against tough coverage. and if they can catch the ball. I'm very convinced our methods of practice (very likely with minimum contact) are killing our WRs learning how to shed coverage and catch balls in traffic.

As for Dion, I have no idea if he's got the patience to compete and wait for an opportunity at QB. or if he's even willing to switch to WR and compete.

Hud needs to get this "new offense" defined immediately (not to us. but the staff and players). I doubt it's a "new offense". Whatever he does, I'd like him to become more of a dynamic thinker. or get out of the way and allow an OC that is. Besides the other issues we battled this year, I did not feel a lot of cerebral coaching took place.

If Ray moves it will be to DB not WR.I don't think he moves though.

Question regarding Davis: Since he played a half a quarter and it appears he may get some playing time in the last game, does this mean his Red Shirt status has been removed? If so, he would only have 3 years left on his eligibility.

If he proves to be the next coming of Cam Newton (college version), was it worth it to blow an entire year of eligibility on basically 2-3 quarters of play this year?

Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    Question regarding Davis: Since he played a half a quarter and it appears he may get some playing time in the last game, does this mean his Red Shirt status has been removed? If so, he would only have 3 years left on his eligibility.

If he proves to be the next coming of Cam Newton (college version), was it worth it to blow an entire year of eligibility on basically 2-3 quarters of play this year?

Davis redshirted last season. No removing his redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Google is your friend.
    "Players, especially in football, may redshirt to learn the team's play book since college teams run more complex and more plays generally than most high school teams. In other cases, a player may be granted a redshirt if he or she has participated in less than 10% of the season taking place in an academic year."

So does this mean Davis will have participated in less than 10% of the season taking place?

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364;
    Davis redshirted last season. No removing his redshirt"
    The official Ragin Cajun Athletic website has him as a redshirt this year. Does this mean the site is a year behind?

http://www.ragincajuns.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    "Players, especially in football, may redshirt to learn the team's play book since college teams run more complex and more plays generally than most high school teams. In other cases, a player may be granted a redshirt if he or she has participated in less than 10% of the season taking place in an academic year."

So does this mean Davis will have participated in less than 10% of the season taking place?

The official Ragin Cajun Athletic website has him as a redshirt this year. Does this mean the site is a year behind?

http://www.ragincajuns.com/roster.aspx?path=football
    No it mean this year he is a redshirt freshman. Last year he was a true freshman. After this year he would have 3 years to play regardless of playing or not playing last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    No it mean this year he is a redshirt freshman. Last year he was a true freshman. After this year he would have 3 years to play regardless of playing or not playing last week.
    Thanks,

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information