Thread: Cajuns Fall, 52-51 in Final Minutes at Houston

1. Ragin' Cajuns Cajuns Fall, 52-51 in Final Minutes at Houston

The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns women's basketball team's bid for the program's first 3-0 start in back-to-back seasons was crushed, falling in the final two minutes, 52-51 to the University of Houston at Hofheinz Pavilion Sunday afternoon.

Default Re: Cajuns Fall, 52-51 in Final Minutes at Houston

Man I wish they could have pulled this one off to keep the hot start going. This team can really play some ball.

That is a very tough loss. I listened to the first half and we were playing well. I think sometimes it is good to punched in the stomach early in the year.

This is not a good loss. Houston is coming off a 6-24 season and is picked to finish last in the American Athletic Conference. I mentioned this about the freshmen centers, they will go through some growing pains, but Jaylyn Gordon (jr.) has to be more consistent from the field. 2-9/1-7 field goals and 5-10 from the stripe won't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    This is not a good loss. Houston is coming off a 6-24 season and is picked to finish last in the American Athletic Conference. I mentioned this about the freshmen centers, they will go through some growing pains, but Jaylyn Gordon (jr.) has to be more consistent from the field. 2-9/1-7 field goals and 5-10 from the stripe won't cut it.
    I agree that our sub-par [and uncharacteristic] performance at the charity stripe and behind the arc is what lost us this game. Houston is a very bad team.

We have a team that is fun to watch. They hustle their butts off on both ends of the court and never quit on themselves or us. They also [usually] do all the little things right.

That being said, we are not a really good team. We are badly undersized at every position, even in the Sun Belt. Even Ole Miss, which is a short group for the SEC, towered over us. The successful teams in the Sun Belt are both bigger than Ole Miss and substantially better.

I attend as many women's games as I can, because they are a great group of hard working, blue collar, overachievers, who are a joy to watch. But I don't deceive myself into thinking that we have a very good team. We are 3-8 against the two Arkansas SBC teams since Brodhead arrived. Much better than before, but still not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I agree that our sub-par [and uncharacteristic] performance at the charity stripe and behind the arc is what lost us this game. Houston is a very bad team.

We have a team that is fun to watch. They hustle their butts off on both ends of the court and never quit on themselves or us. They also [usually] do all the little things right.

That being said, we are not a really good team. We are badly undersized at every position, even in the Sun Belt. Even Ole Miss, which is a short group for the SEC, towered over us. The successful teams in the Sun Belt are both bigger than Ole Miss and substantially better.

I attend as many women's games as I can, because they are a great group of hard working, blue collar, overachievers, who are a joy to watch. But I don't deceive myself into thinking that we have a very good team. We are 3-8 against the two Arkansas SBC teams since Brodhead arrived. Much better than before, but still not very good.
    Yeah, we do need some size and it looks to be coming around with the young girls and future recruits.

I don't think we were badly undersized, but I do agree we are in a transition period in how we recruit. Gary needed bodies when he originally was signed as coach and he was able to get local girls who were already familiar with his style of play which was full court pressure. With recent rule changes (or interpretations) on what is allowed defensively he is changing the type of recruits looking to more offensive players and more size. JMO

http://ragincajuns.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/.skbl-mtt.html\

Two shots at end of game to win it. Neither fell. Shooters, not athletes, need to be recruited. Make the foul shots and the game is won. Free throws are FREE, after all.

Jaylyn Gordon is a shooter. So is Sylvana Okde, although she is still recovering from last season's injury. This was just a hiccup on Jaylyn's part, she's a better shooter than she showed in this game, so things will be better next game.

10. Default Re: Cajuns Fall, 52-51 in Final Minutes at Houston

Seeds of the loss planted in 2nd quarter. We lost that one badly. Still making free throws wins this game late. Generally we do better at charity stripe.

Look back on the men and women games and you will see that many was lost at the line. When you shoot 50-53% and walk away with a 3-4 point lost. Well you get the point.

Houston isn't that awful. They took #24 George Washington to the wire and fell by 4. Still a game we should have won, but it isn't like we lost to a SWAC team. They've got a great chance to show how well they recover against Arkansas today.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Houston isn't that awful. They took #24 George Washington to the wire and fell by 4. Still a game we should have won, but it isn't like we lost to a SWAC team. They've got a great chance to show how well they recover against Arkansas today.
    Great point. Someone commented earlier that Houston must be terrible because they were terrible last year. Neither a bad team nor a bad program.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Cajuns drop the hogs. We're fine.

Never look to the past only for future performance. 2-0 against the SEC this season may have more relevance.

Thread Information