Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Major in Beer

Default Re: Major in Beer

Just goes to show you how expensive education has become. In my days at USL I had a minor in Jack Daniels for much less than it now costs to major in Beer. After midnight studying at the Brass Rail with 25 cent long necks, burnt french fries and raw hamburgers. Ah, the Good Old Days.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    My old boss in Jennings said when he went to USL there used to be a beer truck that would show up on campus in the afternoon. Confirmed?
    We used to sometimes have a beer truck with draft beer side spigots, instead of just getting kegs, delivered to the frat house just off campus. I don't think a beer truck could just set up shop and sell beer on campus property.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    Just goes to show you how expensive education has become. In my days at USL I had a minor in Jack Daniels for much less than it now costs to major in Beer. After midnight studying at the Brass Rail with 25 cent long necks, burnt french fries and raw hamburgers. Ah, the Good Old Days.
    Good Lawd those were the Good Ole Days.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    We used to sometimes have a beer truck with draft beer side spigots, instead of just getting kegs, delivered to the frat house just off campus. I don't think a beer truck could just set up shop and sell beer on campus property.
    I guess it's all technically what can be called campus. He prolly meant closer to the strip or General Mouton.

I know in 1982 the beer trucks were in the Union parking lot and beer was free. Also my first Lagniappe Day was at Cajun Field with free beer. Also remember plenty of pep rallies in the Keg parking lot behind the Brass Rail with beer trucks and free beer.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    I know in 1982 the beer trucks were in the Union parking lot and beer was free. Also my first Lagniappe Day was at Cajun Field with free beer. Also remember plenty of pep rallies in the Keg parking lot behind the Brass Rail with beer trucks and free beer.
    Very true.

This sounds like a magical time with free beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Yep, spent a lot of time in the lab AKA "The Strip" myself. I love explaining to the younger people how it was back in the 60's and 70's. That deer in the headlight look when I bring Friday Specials, streets blocked off for drinking and such. They THINK they know how to party today.
    Those Friday specials and streets blocked off lasted until the they raised the drinking age to 21.

I started in the 80's. Remember $5 cover for Mako's. Free draft and hurricanes till 1AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    This sounds like a magical time with free beer.
    It was, before political correctness took over our country. We even had free beer at freshman orientation.

In the words of Merle Haggard
    "When a man could still work, and still would.
    Is the best of the free life behind us now?
    Are the good times really over for good?"

It was, before political correctness took over our country. We even had free beer at freshman orientation.

In the words of Merle Haggard
    "When a man could still work, and still would.
    Is the best of the free life behind us now?
    Are the good times really over for good?"
    I think profit motive took over the country more than Political correctness, especially if free beer is no longer a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Those Friday specials and streets blocked off lasted until the they raised the drinking age to 21.

I started in the 80's. Remember $5 cover for Mako's. Free draft and hurricanes till 1AM.
    Free draft and hurricanes.my god.my liver hurts just thinking about that.

I'm amazed that everyone remembers all of this stuff. Y'all must not have drunk enough. Go back and do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    I'm amazed that everyone remembers all of this stuff. Y'all must not have drunk enough. Go back and do it again.
    I recently saw pictures that is why I remember. I may have to post a few on here, then again maybe not.

I remember 3 shots for a dollar on Friday afternoons at the Brass Rail. Or showing how times have changed, Monday night 7 oz bottle of beer special one fall. Would go drink while waiting for computer time (wasn't an IT major, had to wait your turn back then). Don't remember how much, but I could carry 7 at a time on me. For some reason, I think it was 25 cents a bottle.

Can't figure out why my health issues don't involve liver or brain cells.

Oh heck, I forgot the hardest part. My junior and senior year, had to be at work 7 AM Saturday mornings. Sometimes, I just stayed out and went straight to work. Never missed.

Friday afternoon routine in the mid 70's

Go To plasma labcheck
    Give a quart of plasmacheck
    Get $20 (or was it $10).check
    Hit the specials 25 cent shots at The Kegcheck
    Tear off bandage at barCheck
    Insult everyone in The Keg/Brass Railcheck and check
    Trip to Meche's Donuts at 5amcheck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information