Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    Without Broadway, HUD would be back in the pack. Broadway was a difference maker, and it's easy to see why now.
    We had the same problems last year through 4 games. That was with Broadway. Let the season play out

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Saban was in his first year and was just beginning his system. Since then, he has completely justified his high paying salary with being one of the top programs in the country along with National Championships. So, not really comparable Turbine. Coach Hud, should have our program on the upswing and now well into the 5th year, we have not won the conference (alone) and we can't beat any good out of conference programs. So, yeah, we should be seeing some progress towards being that top 20 team Hud talked about at the beginning of his tenure here. When you get paid the highest salary by far, there should be expectations on what that brings. No one said he couldn't make a mistake, and no one expects perfection. UL should be a very good, top G5 program that can beat P5 programs on occasion. That's the expectation of $1 million dollars.
    I'd be ashamed of Hud if he didn't expect us to hold him to a high standard. He hasn't yet unloaded on critical fans this year (that I'm aware of). I think he's learned that lesson. And I have no doubt he's very frustrated with this year so far. He had to believe we'd be more competitive against Akron and Tech. distractions or no distractions.

The bottom line is that he evaluates his players and coaches. and we evaluate him. The football output buck stops with him. We've given him loads of credit so far, deservedly so. But his inability to raise the level of play against good teams. particularly in the first 3rd of the season. not necessarily winning the contests. but being competitive. is starting to be an annual attribute.

Some of Hud's early season team traits are looking eerily similar, despite some changes in player personnel and coaching staff. He may very well have expressed the best he's got. I hope he sees himself as a work in progress and seeks out knowledge to correct these trends for improvement. I'd be a little worried making the assumption that the SBC will honor our past and hand us a yearly path to a bowl. In fact, remaining the same, regardless if a portion of fans are fine with it, generally creates regression. Hud needed to be way more multidimensional and dangerous to start the year. He needs to quit relying on teaching seriously limited slow motion basics in the spring. assuming that conditioning and perfect execution will get it done. Not going to happen at this university, in this conference, and in this sport today.

Get dangerous Cajuns! Open it up! You'll be very glad you did from a fan support perspective. And if you do, and fail while making that transition. we will forgive you infinitely more for trying. Why not be the most dangerous you can be. at this point this year? Make new recruits excited about being in a dangerous offense and/or defense. Give up a big play? So what!? Hit them back with 10 bigger!!!

Personally, I think Brooks, Jamal and everyone else is thinking too hard and forgetting how to take over their space and have fun kicking ___. Be fast off the snap and know you're going to get it done. I sure hope Hud gives everyone the green light tomorrow to open up a can of fun and gun on Texas State. If we pound it out and allow them to hang around and THEY decide they've got nothing to lose. we'll regret it horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Ragin' Pagin' inspired!!1
    H3ll yeah!

4. Default Re: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

Saban was in his first year and was just beginning his system.
    I know he inherited an Alabama team that had two .500 seasons in the last three, but the tools he had to turn the corner need no introduction.

You must be blown away that Hud outperformed Saban's record in their first year, respectively. And this with no tools and how many non winning seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I know he inherited an Alabama team that had two .500 seasons in the last three, but the tools he had to turn the corner need no introduction.

You must be blown away that Hud outperformed Saban's record in their first year, respectively. And this with no tools and how many non winning seasons?
    At least HUD beat ULM his first season

What I said was, not comparable. Coach Hud has done an excellent job of turning the culture around and winning games against the Sun Belt and lower FBS teams. The program is suppose to grow and get better, and that's where the high salary comes in. He is getting paid to take UL to a higher level of performance than what we have seen, not remain where we are. You don't triple a coaches salary within 4 years to still be where you were at year 1.

7. Default Re: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

What I said was, not comparable. Coach Hud has done an excellent job of turning the culture around and winning games against the Sun Belt and lower FBS teams. The program is suppose to grow and get better, and that's where the high salary comes in. He is getting paid to take UL to a higher level of performance than what we have seen, not remain where we are. You don't triple a coaches salary within 4 years to still be where you were at year 1.
    I can understand someone expecting unabated growth even when the growth pool is limited to 4.

What I don't understand is someone making excuses for Saban. I mean its not like Mike Shula didn't leave him with a truckload of blue chippers and Nationally ranked recruiting classes.

HUD and his predecessors had the unenviable task of inviting players to the sunbelt.

Under the current scenario 9 win seasons are extremely hard to maintain and should not be discounted.

All I know is that this game is a big game.

9. Sunbelt Re: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    Why are ppl so fixated by this man's pay? Personally, I wish they would keep coaches salaries secret. He is getting his, y'all go get y'all's.
    I am fixated for several reasons.

A: Highest paid coach should equal similar success in recruiting and wins.
    B: Good for recruits to know your coach is so wanted he gets too much money for his success, maybe said recruit believes he can move the coach towards earning that money with more wins.
    C: Good for other coaches to see and say, I could do better, and that money is damned good. He will move on for one of two reasons, one good, the other bad. Hud being here ten years is bad on so many levels it would take a white paper to explain, not a message board.

Geaux Cajuns Beat the Bobcats

SunBelt Forever

10. Sunbelt Re: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

I can understand someone expecting unabated growth even when the growth pool is limited to 4.

What I don't understand is someone making excuses for Saban. I mean its not like Mike Shula didn't leave him with a truckload of blue chippers and Nationally ranked recruiting classes.

HUD and his predecessors had the unenviable task of inviting players to the sunbelt.

Under the current scenario 9 win seasons are extremely hard to maintain and should not be discounted.
    IMO that is YOUR opinion. Frankly Hud should be riding a huge success wave. Four 9/4 seasons, beating CUSA, AAC, and Mountain West teams in for consecutive bowls. Every kid who mattered in Hud's first two years probably knew nothing of UL until their senior, or junior year, as well as most of CUSA teams for that matter. But now and and for the last three recruiting classes that is simply not the case.

As for the boogyman Sunbelt conference. IMO the Big XII is worse compared to other P5 conferences than the SBC is to the MAC, and current CUSA. Hud needs to be overcoming that, he is being paid very well to do exactly that.

As far as the SunBelt is concerned. I challenge often that we will be in it forever, and frankly I see nothing from Martin Hall to change that. I have heard that Martin Hall recently saw the error of their ways, but it seems too late. We better figure out a way to outperform our conference status.

Geaux Cajuns Beat the Bobcats

SunBelt Forever

Yeah because losing Ringo, Hamilton and Harris were no big deal.

I'd say losing Harris has been the biggest loss off of last years team.

12. Default Re: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Yeah because losing Ringo, Hamilton and Harris were no big deal.

I'd say losing Harris has been the biggest loss off of last years team.
    I brought up the fact that we were losing these three studs in the spring. I told everyone we needed to really step up everywhere else because you simply do not reload guys like these at our level. I was told nonsense, our upcoming players were not only as good, but maybe better. Nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I brought up the fact that we were losing these three studs in the spring. I told everyone we needed to really step up everywhere else because you simply do not reload guys like these at our level. I was told nonsense, our upcoming players were not only as good, but maybe better. Nothing to worry about.
    I don't recall anyone saying they were better. I think the bigger losses however were Quave and Terry Johnson. A lot of beef gone from that O line.

I honestly thought we might evolve as an offense in order to exploit the strengths of our skill players. Wellthat hasn't happened yet either so we have been FUBAR.

15. Default Re: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

I brought up the fact that we were losing these three studs in the spring. [b]I told everyone we needed to really step up everywhere else because you simply do not reload guys like these at our level.]/b] I was told nonsense, our upcoming players were not only as good, but maybe better. Nothing to worry about.
    I agree with this statement more than the person that said, "Frankly Hud should be riding a huge success wave."

That person was implying that success automatically offers up more success. That person failed to take into account the natural ebb and Flo that comes with every four year turnover.

Yep I definitely agree with you on this one. "you simply do not reload guys like these at our level."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information