Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

1. Default Re: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    When I say I "don't understand" I don't mean I don't actually understand. I just don't like the pointing on of ones salary as if 1m should make a guy mistake free.
    I agree.

Being the highest paid coach in all of college football didn't prevent Nick Saban from losing to ULM.

Default Re: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

Boomer made a good point that his job description should also include several other duties he has to perform because our administration lacks the balls to do what is necessary. It's a topic worth discussing, is Hud stretched too thin? Is it affecting his ability to put a winning team on the field? I'm willing to entertain that notion, but only for the sake of observing every variable. His product on the field reeks of stubbornness and his coordinators seem to coach like they are afraid. I don't know.

As far as salary is concerned.what is $1,000,000 a year worth in today's college football landscape? Nothing is a sure fire guarantee, and human beings do get complacent. I think for $1,000,000 dollars.we should get a head coach who can keep his staff in line and have his team prepared for the season. They should not need any wake up calls against inferior opponents and peer institutions. For $1,000,000, we need more than the bare minimum.all the time.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Boomer made a good point that his job description should also include several other duties he has to perform because our administration lacks the balls to do what is necessary. It's a topic worth discussing, is Hud stretched too thin? Is it affecting his ability to put a winning team on the field? I'm willing to entertain that notion, but only for the sake of observing every variable. His product on the field reeks of stubbornness and his coordinators seem to coach like they are afraid. I don't know.

As far as salary is concerned.what is $1,000,000 a year worth in today's college football landscape? Nothing is a sure fire guarantee, and human beings do get complacent. I think for $1,000,000 dollars.we should get a head coach who can keep his staff in line and have his team prepared for the season. They should not need any wake up calls against inferior opponents and peer institutions. For $1,000,000, we need more than the bare minimum.all the time.
    Absolutely

4. Default Re: UL's Hudspeth still highest paid Sun Belt coach

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    There is intrinsic value in releasing #1 status.

It raises the perception of the school as a destination point in the mind of every up and coming coach.
    -----But the money is an extrinsic motivation to getting the gig!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    There are few measurables more indicative of a college football coach's performance demand than his salary. Why do you think Hud is paid the amount we pay him? His bench press record? We placed the biggest push for athletic (and institutional front porch attractiveness) growth on the football program. We routed some of our largest yearly revenue toward the salary of the head coach. How do you not see the evaluation of performance being tied in, directly I might add, to the bills we pay? If we spent $1M on a new track and the builder failed to make a good track, would you say that we shouldn't concern ourselves with what we paid him?
    To you, the salary may mean more than me.

The bench press comment sure seems to be directed toward you thinking I'm stupid. I'm not even sure where to start, since your comment is built on assumptions.

Who can't see a performance/salary as being connected? My original comment is about fans who genuinely dislike coaches and players based on salary. You are only as good as your negotiator.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I've never made a comment about the salary, but let's not pretend it isn't relevant to the situation.
    I didn't say it was irrelevant.

I have no problem with HUD being paid a million, he has earned that and more when looking at it from a business standpoint. What I would like to see is another championship. What I would like to see is week 1 of the season not look like week 1 of practice. I would like to see it not take 1/3 of a season to resemble a competent football team every year. I would like to see HUD coach like he is trying to get out of here (first 2 years) as opposed to looking comfortable. Increase in talent does not have to equal plain, boring and vanilla. The guys don't even look like they are having fun. Maybe he was spread to thin with other things this offseason but that's all behind him now. something I heard this week that bothered me a lot, Nixon mentioned something about learning the game plan. It's your 4th year in the system, a simple one at that, what are you learning? You should know everything and simply implement week to week. Maybe our offensive coaches aren't great teachers which would explain why we always start slow.

There are few measurables more indicative of a college football coach's performance demand than his salary. Why do you think Hud is paid the amount we pay him? His bench press record? We placed the biggest push for athletic (and institutional front porch attractiveness) growth on the football program. We routed some of our largest yearly revenue toward the salary of the head coach. How do you not see the evaluation of performance being tied in, directly I might add, to the bills we pay? If we spent $1M on a new track and the builder failed to make a good track, would you say that we shouldn't concern ourselves with what we paid him?
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redgineer View Post
    Interesting timing for this article.
    Ragin' Pagin' inspired!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I agree.

Being the highest paid coach in all of college football didn't prevent Nick Saban from losing to ULM.
    Saban was in his first year and was just beginning his system. Since then, he has completely justified his high paying salary with being one of the top programs in the country along with National Championships. So, not really comparable Turbine. Coach Hud, should have our program on the upswing and now well into the 5th year, we have not won the conference (alone) and we can't beat any good out of conference programs. So, yeah, we should be seeing some progress towards being that top 20 team Hud talked about at the beginning of his tenure here. When you get paid the highest salary by far, there should be expectations on what that brings. No one said he couldn't make a mistake, and no one expects perfection. UL should be a very good, top G5 program that can beat P5 programs on occasion. That's the expectation of $1 million dollars.

The bench press comment sure seems to be directed toward you thinking I'm stupid.
    Don't worry. Most people laugh at his chili pepper when he struts around in his thong. And.those most here won't admit it, I've got dozens of PMs from fellow Ragin Pagin posters expressing the opinion that he looks hideous in such attire.

Why are ppl so fixated by this man's pay? Personally, I wish they would keep coaches salaries secret. He is getting his, y'all go get y'all's.
    Because at the moment the pay greatly exceeds the production.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Don't worry. Most people laugh at his chili pepper when he struts around in his thong. And.those most here won't admit it, I've got dozens of PMs from fellow Ragin Pagin posters expressing the opinion that he looks hideous in such attire.
    That is a complete fabrication. I look magnificent strutting around in my thong (except when I'm bloated. but it isn't easy to eat good food and not puff up). And don't bring my chili pepper into this. It was cold out that day, and every man on here knows about shrinkage. And besides, the PMs you must have gotten were from trolls from other schools that can't stand what me and my thong add to the front porch of our fine institution. In fact, I was told by university administration that since I starting the Brazilian grooming, we are on the cusp of Tier 1.

They should close the games to the public too.
    this is rich. shot coffee out my nose.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

To you, the salary may mean more than me.

The bench press comment sure seems to be directed toward you thinking I'm stupid. I'm not even sure where to start, since your comment is built on assumptions.

Who can't see a performance/salary as being connected? My original comment is about fans who genuinely dislike coaches and players based on salary. You are only as good as your negotiator.
    Look, I agree with the article "timeliness". Tim's indulging in the easy score. I'm not the least bit concerned about Hud's salary. My posts are about the work. But even before anyone piled on to Tim's selfserving article, you attacked the forum about their bringing up Hud's salary and his current performance. The two are not unrelated. No coach gets that free pass.

I'm sticking to the criticism of what I see coaching-wise. Since I joined in on the "fun" posting on this site, I habitually reminded people that coaches are a strange lot. They're rarely alumni, much less locals. You love them when they win. You despise them when they lose. I know there's 100 other issues. but for every poster that loves the fact that Hud loves Lafayette. and so on and so forth. when they're worried we might lose him. they'll be an equal number disgusted by him when/if he loses more than expected. It goes with the territory. And he knows it.

Personally, I find people on here that keep attacking posts to be the problem people in our midst. Fans are the finest quality of all associations. They pay to be involved. They don't get the trophies or rings or the education or the salary. They come voluntarily, and they give their money. I don't go for attacking them when they're not satisfied with those getting paid in some way. And the bigger the pay, the more vulnerability for criticism.

You can keep up your quest of defending salaries. and even performance if you want. Ironically, almost every coach is where he is because some other coach lost the job. So how about thanking the fans for being the critics of your predecessor? It got them the job and the money.

And by the way, the most effective way of debating someone you disagree with, is being direct with them about what they wrote and what you disagree with. Lately, too many posts are generalizations about this forum. Almost without exception, a single poster or two has actually "stepped over the line". It is being credited to a much larger group due to poor focus. Out of 300 regular posters, there's 10 overly negative and 10 sunshine forever. Why is the theme of the forum being credited to these individuals? It's the generalization posting. If you ignore those 20, you're good to go IMO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information