Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Haack, Nixon know starter, both will play

Default Re: Haack, Nixon know starter, both will play

The biggest thing Haack needs to do, is to NOT turnover the ball. Don't throw into coverage and try to force it in, and step into the pocket getting rid of the ball quickly so that you don't get killed from behind and fumble. Just get the ball to the open guy or throw it away, that way we have a chance. If he turns it over, the game is not going to be close.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    The biggest thing Haack needs to do, is to NOT turnover the ball. Don't throw into coverage and try to force it in, and step into the pocket getting rid of the ball quickly so that you don't get killed from behind and fumble. Just get the ball to the open guy or throw it away, that way we have a chance. If he turns it over, the game is not going to be close.
    It's truly amazing how we can do this to ourselves every year, isn't it?

Here's what I think:

HUD isn't sitting on a guy that won't get us into the end zone. I like that.

One (probably Haack) will start, and probably get 2 series. If we score, he'll stay in. If he can't get us into the end zone, HUD isn't ____ing around.

I'm not sure why anyone would be upset at this.

If a pitcher struggles, do you leave him in the game? Or do you go to the bullpen?

Why should a guy expect security if he's not making good decisions on the field? If you don't make plays, you should be looking over your shoulder.

With that said, this offense WILL move the football. Can the defense stop anyone?

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll add one more thing: we keep talking about how "unproven" these guys are.

Both of these guys have moved the football well in actual games.

I'm very confident in our offense with either one.

I'm concerned we'll lose 59-35, but we'll score. LOL

It's not all on the QB either, we could not move the football and not be the QB's fault.

When did it become established that Haack can't run? He seemed pretty mobile to me. He's not exactly Metzenberger looking like a newborn giraffe back there. I think what HUD means is using Nixon in short yardage or goaline rushing situations where we need his size, and the fact he can throw keeps people honest. I really don't think this is as much a competition as HUD has been letting on. But given I have Zero first hand knowledge that's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I guess it would be better if we had 2 scrubs behind him and if he would falter, the season would be over. I hope there is always a 1A and a 1B waiting to take over if 1 falters. Why is everyone making such a huge deal out of this. It's a position battle between 3 unproven guys. How else do these things play out? I hope every player knows there is a guy right behind you waiting to get the job done if they don't.
    I'm with you. I WISH we had a 1B last year when Broadway was shot putting balls down the field. Hell we didn't even have someone good enough to give Broadway a break while Ole Miss was skull dragging us down the field. I mean watching him go 15/31 with 3 INTs and knowing that he had to finish what he started. poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I'm with you. I WISH we had a 1B last year when Broadway was shot putting balls down the field. Hell we didn't even have someone good enough to give Broadway a break while Ole Miss was skull dragging us down the field. I mean watching him go 15/31 with 3 INTs and knowing that he had to finish what he started. poor thing.
    None of these guys are a senior 3 year starter with 2 bowl wins. They are on equal footing for the most part. Let's see how it plays out before we crucify a decision that hasn't happened yet.

We might have had that in Haack. But Hud didn't give him the chance. A two quarterback system could have helped a lot last year once Jamal went down and Broadway had no safety valve.

Makes me feel good knowing HUD has enough confidence in the players he brought in. I mean who need only one qb? I doubt it even affects a players confidence knowing the 1a is right there waiting on you to mess up.
    You kinda contradicting your next post. You want haack to get plenty chances without worrying about 1a but wanted HUD to pull his 3 year starter when he wasn't playing well. And for the record, I thought haack should have been put in at ole miss.

11. Default Re: Haack, Nixon know starter, both will play

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    I'll add one more thing: we keep talking about how "unproven" these guys are.

Both of these guys have moved the football well in actual games.

I'm very confident in our offense with either one.

I'm concerned we'll lose 59-35, but we'll score. LOL
    As an addendum to your post, I might add that their roles in some games were not your mop up types of duty---both played significant roles and in a sense were one of the reasons we won

Nixon at Tulane and Haack against I think T St!!

Blast from the past.October 18th, 2008. Arkansas State. Michael Desormeaux can't play. We are so screwed. Freshman Brad McGuire is gonna start; first start of his career. He has a crappy game. Throws 2 picks. But we keep it close. 23-21 in the 4th. Time winding down. 3rd and 14 on the Ark State 39. We done. Won't be in Edminston's range. Brad snaps the ball and throws a gorgeous pass over the middle that goes for 30 yards. We end up scoring on a Fenroy TD. We win. Brad McGuire looks like the next big thing for us at QB. 2009. The dawn of Chris Masson. Brad McGuire becomes an H-back.or the equivalent of a coach telling you that we have nowhere to put you. What could have been.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    He can't force throws, but we are going to have to take chances. Kentucky is going to zero in on Elijah. Haack has to make use of his other skill people by that measure. I don't want him chunking deep balls just for effect, but as he and the staff get their Saturday football feet under them, he's got to look for the middle to deep man, and send the ball. If he gets picked on a deep ball, so be it. He can't feel second guessed. and it's the only way we'll open things up and complete a series for a score on Kentucky.

I'm not nearly as concerned about INTs as I am overly conservative football that allows Kentucky's defense to start teeing off on everyone on the field. We have to spread this out and keep them back peddling. Eventually, they'll lose McGuire and he'll burn them. But that takes some smart chess plays in the opening couple of series.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    He can't force throws, but we are going to have to take chances. Kentucky is going to zero in on Elijah. Haack has to make use of his other skill people by that measure. I don't want him chunking deep balls just for effect, but as he and the staff get their Saturday football feet under them, he's got to look for the middle to deep man, and send the ball. If he gets picked on a deep ball, so be it. He can't feel second guessed. and it's the only way we'll open things up and complete a series for a score on Kentucky.

I'm not nearly as concerned about INTs as I am overly conservative football that allows Kentucky's defense to start teeing off on everyone on the field. We have to spread this out and keep them back peddling. Eventually, they'll lose McGuire and he'll burn them. But that takes some smart chess plays in the opening couple of series.
    Absolutely, I don't want INT's but I do want to throw downfield. We have to open it up, I totally agree with you, if we have any chance of winning this thing. I just want the QB, whoever it is, I assume it's Haack, to be smart and make good choices on placing the ball. Now, having said that, our Wide outs have to make plays and come up big also. McGuire is the icing on the cake that makes the offense sweet.

Hud named the starter at QB Club today.

But swore us all to secrecy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information