Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

Default Re: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

see, i side with the bad guys on this one. I will be pist if they shy away from Louisiana. I would completely disagree with going all in with Ragin Cajuns alone. Say Louisiana, and say F 'em.

but alas, i won't hold my breath on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    You are correct. Branding ourselves as Ragin Cajuns does nothing for our true identity. Outside of Louisiana, most people don't know if Ragin Cajuns goes with ULM, UL L, or LA Tech. Use of Ragin Cajuns will let every media in the country pick and choose what they want to call us, i.e. Louisiana Lafayette, UL Lafayette, U LA LA, UL L, and every other variation that is out there and it won't be LOUISIANA and UL.

No other school goes by their moniker as their primary branding. Whoever came up with this idea should be fired. Probably the same person who told the SBC to refer to us as UL-L. I am really disappointed in Dr. S if he is approving this.

Here is an idea, why not follow with Wisconsin does. Their official name is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. That's right, it is hyphenated. See their official university logo below. On their academic website, it has the W logo on the left and to the right of it the Wisconsin above University of Wisconsin-Madison. Academically, it refers to itself on its website as UW-Madison.

Athletics is simply Wisconsin. Not Badgers.

Why can't we do something similar academically like Wisconsin does? We are still using our official name but connecting it to LOUISIANA.

LOUISIANA
    University of Louisiana Lafayette
    As a follow-up to this, I recommended to Dr. Blohm that we do away with the multi-colored logo and keep it simple with red and white and possibly a black trim. I sent him the logo I use for my avatar and also showed him what Alabama's logo looks like which is similar. Next thing is the university comes out with the right colors and style, but without Louisiana. A big mistake!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    No.

Outside of this state, very little people know who you're talking about. They may have heard the name Ragin Cajuns before or even seen some of our games on TV, but they have no clue for which school the Ragin Cajuns play.

It's wishful thinking to ever think we could develop a brand in the collegiate athletic world by simply pushing Ragin Cajuns.

This move by those in power is simply a surrender. They look on the whole name battle as completely unnecessary, and never had an issue with UL Lafayette to begin with. They are tired of dealing with this, and want it all to just go away.

Or, at least that is what I heard as a completely crazy rumor not grounded in fact.
    I think most people outside of our state associate Ragin Cajuns with us. They may associate it with UL-Lafayette, buy they know it's us.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    I think most people outside of our state associate Ragin Cajuns with us. They may associate it with UL-Lafayette, buy they know it's us.
    Yup, and when I say most people know who we are when I say Ragin Cajuns, I'm talking about our peer sports fans. Outside of our tiny group, no one knows anything about our schools, conferences, etc. but I bet when they hear Ragin Cajuns they say, "oh, that team from Louisiana".

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    It's always been Ragin' Cajuns or just Cajuns for me. Everyone knows who you're talking about and no name drama to follow.
    "One and Only is brand new but "only" Ragin' Cajuns is not new.

Just last month a non local media outlet referred to a team as the ULM Ragin' Cajuns.

You simply can not get away with a front porch that is detached from the house.

I was at a company function in Baltimore wearing a shirt with the hot wheels logo. One of my coworkers asked that school is in Monroe right. I think that our brand is not very well known out of the local area I am afraid.

7. Default

You are correct. Branding ourselves as Ragin Cajuns does nothing for our true identity. Outside of Louisiana, most people don't know if Ragin Cajuns goes with ULM, UL L, or LA Tech. Use of Ragin Cajuns will let every media in the country pick and choose what they want to call us, i.e. Louisiana Lafayette, UL Lafayette, U LA LA, UL L, and every other variation that is out there and it won't be LOUISIANA and UL.

No other school goes by their moniker as their primary branding. Whoever came up with this idea should be fired. Probably the same person who told the SBC to refer to us as UL-L. I am really disappointed in Dr. S if he is approving this.

Here is an idea, why not follow with Wisconsin does. Their official name is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. That's right, it is hyphenated. See their official university logo below. On their academic website, it has the W logo on the left and to the right of it the Wisconsin above University of Wisconsin-Madison. Academically, it refers to itself on its website as UW-Madison.

Athletics is simply Wisconsin. Not Badgers.

Why can't we do something similar academically like Wisconsin does? We are still using our official name but connecting it to LOUISIANA.

LOUISIANA
    University of Louisiana Lafayette
    This is, or was the way to go.

8. Default Re: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    "One and Only is brand new but "only" Ragin' Cajuns is not new.

Just last month a non local media outlet referred to a team as the ULM Ragin' Cajuns.

You simply can not get away with a front porch that is detached from the house.
    ---I thought that the football guide had the desired names of what to call and not call us athletically!!! If I am correct it called for Louisiana and asked never to be referred to as UL Laf etc!!! I think we are trying to keep Louisiana but stay away from law suites and other situations

-being careful to use only Louisiana and not University

this also would include going to the legislature for a bill finally ending our hopes

Remember --all the state schools are against us from the top to the vary lowly ---in my opinion it has some jealousy in it

Can anybody name a school that would support us using just Louisiana??

No.

Outside of this state, very little people know who you're talking about. They may have heard the name Ragin Cajuns before or even seen some of our games on TV, but they have no clue for which school the Ragin Cajuns play.

It's wishful thinking to ever think we could develop a brand in the collegiate athletic world by simply pushing Ragin Cajuns.

This move by those in power is simply a surrender. They look on the whole name battle as completely unnecessary, and never had an issue with UL Lafayette to begin with. They are tired of dealing with this, and want it all to just go away.

Or, at least that is what I heard as a completely crazy rumor not grounded in fact.

We still don't have much national name recognition. I was talking with a sales guy from out of state (Illinois) who seemed to be up on college football. When I told him I went to UL he said, "Ragin Cajuns?" I thought that was good until he said, "you guys beat Alabama a few years back, right?"

We need out of the this conference, yesterday. As long as we associate with ulm and the sunbelt, we are just an above average team with an identity crises in what is perceived as the worst league in D1 football.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStros View Post
    We still don't have much national name recognition. I was talking with a sales guy from out of state (Illinois) who seemed to be up on college football. When I told him I went to UL he said, "Ragin Cajuns?" I thought that was good until he said, "you guys beat Alabama a few years back, right?"

We need out of the this conference, yesterday. As long as we associate with ulm and the sunbelt, we are just an above average team with an identity crises in what is perceived as the worst league in D1 football.
    We continue to be our own worse enemy. Amazing leadership.

We continue to be our own worse enemy. Amazing leadership.

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Actually, no they don't. I live in the Houston area and deal with this fairly often. Most people know the Ragin' Cajun moniker but DO NOT know what school it's affiliated with. It's even worse now with how the Cajun notion has grown in popularity (swamp people, etc.). I wear a band on my safety glasses with our Ragin'Cajun branding on it. I get quite a few people asking what the reference is too (heritage, the show, sports, etc.) I'm with CN on this one.not sure this is such a great idea.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---I thought that the football guide had the desired names of what to call and not call us athletically!!! If I am correct it called for Louisiana and asked never to be referred to as UL Laf etc!!! I think we are trying to keep Louisiana but stay away from law suites and other situations

-being careful to use only Louisiana and not University

this also would include going to the legislature for a bill finally ending our hopes

Remember --all the state schools are against us from the top to the vary lowly ---in my opinion it has some jealousy in it

Can anybody name a school that would support us using just Louisiana??

Louisiana.edu has the right guidelines, but aside from SI no one practices what they preach.

As far as what other schools think you will never beat a 17-1 vote of support, but that won't stop them from wishing they were LSU or Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Let's just hope it's one season, I personally don't like it, wouldn't surprise me if it became the official logo. We really need to cowarding on the Louisiana issue.

Can we please stick with one logo, and be done and please don't make it the Ragin Cajuns logo, what is wrong with Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. Having just Ragin Cajuns doesn't change that we will be UL-Laffy to death when it comes to the media
    I don't care if we were the Purple People Eaters, the media will call us UL-Lafayette just for spite.This has been proven time and again. Nothing we can do about it unless the University take this to court with the right lawyer's I think this case can be won because of the fact that the UL system granted the change and a year or so later the LSU alumni in the legislation and judgers change the law to suit LSUThat's my take on this.

No.

Thisperiod

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information