Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

1. Default Re: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    If you don't see the direction we have been headed and are headed with the name, your blind. I just wish they had the respect of admitting it and stop making azzes out of their fans, players and coaches.
    ---Check this out---How many students and recent alumni call us ULL? How many men on the street in the Lafayette area??? How many advertisers (excluding the Baton Rouge paper that wants to be in Lafayette)?? It is not cool to give the Echo L or the Lafayette after Louisiana---Keep it going and demand it from those who would get our money!!!

2. Default Re: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    No.

Outside of this state, very little people know who you're talking about. They may have heard the name Ragin Cajuns before or even seen some of our games on TV, but they have no clue for which school the Ragin Cajuns play.

It's wishful thinking to ever think we could develop a brand in the collegiate athletic world by simply pushing Ragin Cajuns.

This move by those in power is simply a surrender. They look on the whole name battle as completely unnecessary, and never had an issue with UL Lafayette to begin with. They are tired of dealing with this, and want it all to just go away.

Or, at least that is what I heard as a completely crazy rumor not grounded in fact.
    I have lived outside Louisiana most of my life. Most folks I talk to who follow college sports know the Ragin Cajuns are from a university in southern Louisiana. They all really like the name and when mentioning it remember some cajuns games on TV in basketball, baseball or football over the years. Louisiana, Louisiana-Lafayette, UL, whatever. those names don't mean much to the folks I talk to. They seem to love the Ragin Cajuns name and usually smile when saying it. Great name. That's the reality of things the way I see it.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I think you are exactly correct. I do not believe going exclusively with "Ragin Cajuns" is a branding push. It is a means to disassociate "Louisiana" long enough to slow play "Louisiana-Lafayette" into use. But.

You can write Ragin Cajuns on everything you want, but you will either be identified with school/location, and it will be a free-for-all with every messed up name we've heard and a few new ones, or you will leave people unaware of who or where we are, clueless to a greater extent than before.

This is a pathetic (and wimpy) path forward. It was either nut up and fight one group for going one direction, or fight another for going the opposite direction. And as usual. our admin chose curtain number 3. to hide behind. Wimpy!
    My second reply on your post .

With TV, Restaurants and H Schools using the term, I think UL is in danger of losing control of Ragin' Cajuns.

I see this as a doubling down. "One and Only"

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    And do you know why? Is it because Monroe is a destination city, the New Orleans of North Lousiana? No, it's because ULM has knocked off Alabama and a few others and gotten well-deserved national attention for doing so.
    Not enough recognition for Warhawks to be recognized

Default Re: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

And do you know why? Is it because Monroe is a destination city, the New Orleans of North Lousiana? No, it's because ULM has knocked off Alabama and a few others and gotten well-deserved national attention for doing so.
    Its worked so well for them that people don't know their actual brand is Warhawks and not Ragin' Cajuns? I have no doubt that the wins over Alabama and Arkansas helped their program in the short term. But winning is only part of developing a brand. UL Football has won four straight bowl games, baseball and softball have hosted and won regionals and super regionals, and Basketball as played in two tournaments with back to back 20-plus win seasons. Branding is as much about the company you keep, as it is winning and other factors.

Just before going to sleep after reading some of the "One & Only." Stuff I had this idea. Why not add "Louisiana" in the tag. First thought was to buy a "One & Only" flag, sew "Louisiana" on it, and fly it high tailgating. A "One & Only Louisiana Ragin Cajuns" flag. Now that covers it all. Presents who we are and finger to those who wish to crawfish. Hope I can get it done

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    It is a means to disassociate "Louisiana" long enough to slow play "Louisiana-Lafayette" into use. But.

. Wimpy!
    Agreed. Bad idea. I'm not sure how anyone slow plays a hand that everyone knows is already the case. It's just stupid. Who is going to by a shirt with the new logo One and Only? Not me. Too wordy.

IT's LOUSIANA Ragin' Cajuns. We need some cajones in administration. Enough of this pandering!

FIGHT THE BATTLE!

Quote Originally Posted by TravlnCajun View Post
    Just before going to sleep after reading some of the "One & Only." Stuff I had this idea. Why not add "Louisiana" in the tag. First thought was to buy a "One & Only" flag, sew "Louisiana" on it, and fly it high tailgating. A "One & Only Louisiana Ragin Cajuns" flag. Now that covers it all. Presents who we are and finger to those who wish to crawfish. Hope I can get it done
    Great idea for a flag!

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Agreed. Bad idea. I'm not sure how anyone slow plays a hand that everyone knows is already the case. It's just stupid. Who is going to by a shirt with the new logo One and Only? Not me. Too wordy.

IT's LOUSIANA Ragin' Cajuns. We need some cajones in administration. Enough of this pandering!

FIGHT THE BATTLE!
    That "battle" has been being fought for many years now. The people that will refer to us as UL or Louisiana are doing so. Those that don't, never will. Once I accepted that fact, it doesn't bother me anymore when I hear or read UL-Lafayette or UL-L. It matters not what they call us, it matters only that they keep talking about us.

10. Default Re: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    That "battle" has been being fought for many years now. The people that will refer to us as UL or Louisiana are doing so. Those that don't, never will. Once I accepted that fact, it doesn't bother me anymore when I hear or read UL-Lafayette or UL-L. It matters not what they call us, it matters only that they keep talking about us.
    #GrabTheNugget

You are right, there is extreme value in the keep-em-talking mindset.

The problem is, that value is divided by however many wrong name options are out there.

Also the keep-em-talking value in Lafayette creates a cubby hole identity that drains potential research dollars and future grad income.

Spot on.

ULM 's victories over SEC schools(same for LT) did more to push their school's name into the minds of the average sports fan than anything we have done in marketing since the founding of the school.

This is why it kills me when we are on national TV and we have no Louisiana to be seen on a baseball or softball uni. Should be a general rule. If we are on TV, we are wearing the Louisiana unis.

For instance, if we beat Kentucky, with our Louisiana football unis, that will do more to brand ourselves as Louisiana than we have ever done before. Hopefully, the coaches are rockin' some Louisiana gear as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TravlnCajun View Post
    When we changed the name, as soon as I could, I bought some decals at the bookstore. They all had the city tag on them. Easily fixed. Just cut off the tag and put it on our car.

I will buy some T-shirts for our tailgate crew this year. It will have "We are Louisiana" on the front.

This is what we have to do. I encourage all of you to do the same. If the school refuses to market Louisiana, then we will.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    This is why it kills me when we are on national TV and we have no Louisiana to be seen on a baseball or softball uni. Should be a general rule. If we are on TV, we are wearing the Louisiana unis.

I agree. Especially for the big away games on National TV. We cannot control what others call us and this is the only time we can 100% control the LOUISIANA message. It is a shame they don't get it.

can people purchase media guides? I see you can download it, but I was wondering about a hard copy. I seem to recall doing so in the past but don't see it now

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information