Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    I think most people outside of our state associate Ragin Cajuns with us. They may associate it with UL-Lafayette, buy they know it's us.
    Sure.that's why the Lafayette Leopards logo keeps popping up during our broadcasts

Default Re: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuns4me View Post
    Actually, no they don't. I live in the Houston area and deal with this fairly often. Most people know the Ragin' Cajun moniker but DO NOT know what school it's affiliated with. It's even worse now with how the Cajun notion has grown in popularity (swamp people, etc.). I wear a band on my safety glasses with our Ragin'Cajun branding on it. I get quite a few people asking what the reference is too (heritage, the show, sports, etc.) I'm with CN on this one.not sure this is such a great idea.
    My experience in Houston is people who do NOT follow college sports think my apparel and decals refer to the restaurants or just my heritage. Those folks only know of LSU.

Casual college sports fans know who we are but we get confused with Monroe from time to time.In my opinion this has everything to do with our names and not the conference we are in. Those same folks have no idea if we are in CUSA or Sunbelt.all they know is BIG 12 and SEC.

I'd like to push Ragin' Cajuns. The whole Louisiana thing is trouble most of the time. We always end up being confused with Lafayette University or ULM.

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    I'd like to push Ragin' Cajuns. The whole Louisiana thing is trouble most of the time. We always end up being confused with Lafayette University or ULM.
    We will always be confused with Monroe as long as people know us a UL-Lafayettethis won't stop by pushing ONLY Ragin Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61 View Post
    I was at a company function in Baltimore wearing a shirt with the hot wheels logo. One of my coworkers asked that school is in Monroe right. I think that our brand is not very well known out of the local area I am afraid.
    Even more local than that.
    My family and I did a little road trip to the north part of Georgia earlier this summer. We stopped in Montgomery, Alabama to eat at an Italian pizza place (Tomatinos - I highly recommend!) Anyway, I ran into two different groups that thought the same thingthat school in Monroe.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    "One and Only is brand new but "only" Ragin' Cajuns is not new.

Just last month a non local media outlet referred to a team as the ULM Ragin' Cajuns.

You simply can not get away with a front porch that is detached from the house.
    That's a houseboat that moves around and needs a home. Good luck and wish I had an answer.

7. Default Re: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouRichard View Post
    That's a houseboat that moves around and needs a home. Good luck and wish I had an answer.
    Hah, nice.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    No.

Outside of this state, very little people know who you're talking about. They may have heard the name Ragin Cajuns before or even seen some of our games on TV, but they have no clue for which school the Ragin Cajuns play.

It's wishful thinking to ever think we could develop a brand in the collegiate athletic world by simply pushing Ragin Cajuns.

This move by those in power is simply a surrender. They look on the whole name battle as completely unnecessary, and never had an issue with UL Lafayette to begin with. They are tired of dealing with this, and want it all to just go away.

Or, at least that is what I heard as a completely crazy rumor not grounded in fact.
    I think you are exactly correct. I do not believe going exclusively with "Ragin Cajuns" is a branding push. It is a means to disassociate "Louisiana" long enough to slow play "Louisiana-Lafayette" into use. But.

You can write Ragin Cajuns on everything you want, but you will either be identified with school/location, and it will be a free-for-all with every messed up name we've heard and a few new ones, or you will leave people unaware of who or where we are, clueless to a greater extent than before.

This is a pathetic (and wimpy) path forward. It was either nut up and fight one group for going one direction, or fight another for going the opposite direction. And as usual. our admin chose curtain number 3. to hide behind. Wimpy!

9. Default Re: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    . disassociate "Louisiana" long enough to slow play "Louisiana-Lafayette" into use. But.
    Louisiana marketing hires' baffle me with their lack of knowledge on the subject they are in charge of.

Just like they didn't know that UL-L was totally off limits, how do they not know that Louisiana-Lafayette is illegal?

Personally, unless and until we've made our way to something comparable to the AAC or Mountain West, I don't see conference affiliation doing much of anything for us name recognition-wise. I have always liked the idea of the athletic department branding our team as the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. We are Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. And I sincerely hope we continue with that effort.

But all the arm twisting in the world to call us what we want won't get the brand recognition results of seeing our football squad compete in an Access Bowl, our basketball team make a deep run in the NCAA tournament or our baseball team win the whole enchiladaany of which are attainable.

Another name thread b4 football.season can't get here soon enough.

But I agree with most, this is the wimpy way out for the admin.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNJUDO View Post
    Even more local than that.
    My family and I did a little road trip to the north part of Georgia earlier this summer. We stopped in Montgomery, Alabama to eat at an Italian pizza place (Tomatinos - I highly recommend!) Anyway, I ran into two different groups that thought the same thingthat school in Monroe.
    And do you know why? Is it because Monroe is a destination city, the New Orleans of North Lousiana? No, it's because ULM has knocked off Alabama and a few others and gotten well-deserved national attention for doing so.

13. Default Re: THE ONE AND ONLY RAGIN CAJUNS?

( - )

Way too much negativity going on here.

If you don't see the direction we have been headed and are headed with the name, your blind. I just wish they had the respect of admitting it and stop making azzes out of their fans, players and coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    And do you know why? Is it because Monroe is a destination city, the New Orleans of North Lousiana? No, it's because ULM has knocked off Alabama and a few others and gotten well-deserved national attention for doing so.
    Yep

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information