Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the future

UL Football the future

I'm starting to feel good about the job Bustle is doing this offseason. The confidence he has shown in taking Smith for 2011 has me finding confidence in his ability to turn things around.

Default Re: the future

Sun Belt championship or dismissal

Quote Originally Posted by KACajun View Post
    _ Sun Belt championship or dismissal _
    We all know that we have a very tough schedule this year. Given that we go 5-7 or 6-6, how would that image be in regards to Bustle's success as a head coach and were the program is going?

4. UL Football Re: the future

Prediction: Next year will be Bustle's break out year. 7-8 wins.

The extension was still a mistake though.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The extension was still a mistake though. _
    So in your opinion, Bustle should have been fired this year?

6. UL Football Re: the future

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    _ So in your opinion, Bustle should have been fired this year? _
    No, he had a year left on his contract.

_ Prediction: Next year will be Bustle's break out year. 7-8 wins.

The extension was still a mistake though. _
    Turb, given the fact that they didn't want to buy him out this season, the extension was a decent idea. His buy out now is under 6 digits. That is a major bargain for the university considering the cuts coming down from the state. Of the $4.6 Mil mid-year cuts, $600,000 was a hit on athletics. There will be more to come next year, but its on Admin. now.

_ No, he had a year left on his contract. _
    A university should almost never let a coach go into his last year of a contract. We would not have half of the recruiting class we have now if Bustle's contract was not extended.

9. Support Re: the future

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ Turb, given the fact that they didn't want to buy him out this season, the extension was a decent idea. His buy out now is under 6 digits. That is a major bargain for the university considering the cuts coming down from the state. Of the $4.6 Mil mid-year cuts, $600,000 was a hit on athletics. There will be more to come next year, but its on Admin. now. _
    I wasn’t for buying him out so the availability of State funds issue didn’t come into play from my perspective.

I didn't understand the renegotiation from either side, the concession from Bustle showed a lack of self-confidence. It was unnecessary since I think he was going to earn an extension anyway.

10. Support Re: the future

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    _ A university should almost never let a coach go into his last year of a contract. We would not have half of the recruiting class we have now if Bustle's contract was not extended. _
    I have heard that coach speak before and don't think it's worth the wind it is spit into. It is what it is, “coach speak” and it serves the will of the coaches and I don’t blame them for pushing the angle. But in my view it doesn’t hurt recruiting one bit if you have the ear of the recruit.

Robert Lee was able to get Ryan McCoy to sign with him when he had only “2 months” left on his contract and that is in basketball. The argument holds even less water with football.

Before this extension Bustles contract went through June of 2011. No recruit will be afraid of a coach with 18 months left on his contract or 15 months at signing day. I understand a coach using the argument but if you buy it he has successfully recruited you with coach speak.

Let’s say no extension was made and fast forward to a year from now.... EVEN THEN Bustle would have no trouble recruiting with only 6 months or 3 months left on his contract by letting the recruit know he was about to sign a fat new contract. The proof being he wouldn't be there to recruit for some other coach the next season and if there was going to be a change it would have been made at the end of the season.

ps What's done is done and Bustle will win an extension next year which he would have done anyway.

FWIW: McCoy came to UL largely because Steadman recruited him previously to North Texas.

igeaux.mobi

12. Default Re: the future

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ FWIW: McCoy came to UL largely because Steadman recruited him previously to North Texas.

igeaux.mobi _
    I wasn't sure which coach recruited him but they signed him at a time when they themselves had no contract beyond a few months. It simply isn't a deterrent if the coach recruits with confidence.

_ I have heard that coach speak before and don't think it's worth the wind it is spit into. It is what it is, “coach speak” and it serves the will of the coaches and I don’t blame them for pushing the angle. But in my view it doesn’t hurt recruiting one bit if you have the ear of the recruit.

Robert Lee was able to get Ryan McCoy to sign with him when he had only “2 months” left on his contract and that is in basketball. The argument holds even less water with football.

Before this extension Bustles contract went through June of 2011. No recruit will be afraid of a coach with 18 months left on his contract or 15 months at signing day. I understand a coach using the argument but if you buy it he has successfully recruited you with coach speak.

Let’s say no extension was made and fast forward to a year from now.... EVEN THEN Bustle would have no trouble recruiting with only 6 months or 3 months left on his contract by letting the recruit know he was about to sign a fat new contract. The proof being he wouldn't be there to recruit for some other coach the next season and if there was going to be a change it would have been made at the end of the season.

ps What's done is done and Bustle will win an extension next year which he would have done anyway. _
    To say he would have no trouble recruiting a year from now with no contract extension is false. First, if he was to go 5-7 this year, he wouldn't be around this time next year so It's unlikely he'd be in someone's house claiming to be getting a "fat" contract. The extension and buyout are designed to build confidence in recruits that we are recruiting not only this year but next year. Regardless of what some think, recruits don't want to commit to an unstable situation. Are you watching the Tennessee drama unfold with all of their high commits retracting and looking for somewhere else to go? Recruits don't want to go somewhere where they are bound by their scholarship and don't know who their coach will be, what system they will be in and how the new coach views them as a player and how he will use him.

With no extension, Bustle's contract was up at the end of 2011. If he is fired, he'd be fired during the next recruiting period where kids have not signed and are likely to rethink a verbal if they know there is uncertainty in the coach's future. The extension was a good move and the buyout was an even better move to lessen the blow of the buyout which will come from private funds. I say the extension was a good move, I would have rathered gone a different direction this year all together, but if we were going to keep him another year, the extension and buyout were proper.

14. Default Re: the future

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ To say he would have no trouble recruiting a year from now with no contract extension is false. First, if he was to go 5-7 this year, he wouldn't be around this time next year so It's unlikely he'd be in someone's house claiming to be getting a "fat" contract.
    I totally agree but even "with no extension" if he were to be around at this time next year he would be in line for and could confidently expect a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr
    The extension and buyout are designed to build confidence in recruits that we are recruiting not only this year but next year. Regardless of what some think, recruits don't want to commit to an unstable situation. Are you watching the Tennessee drama unfold with all of their high commits retracting and looking for somewhere else to go? Recruits don't want to go somewhere where they are bound by their scholarship and don't know who their coach will be, what system they will be in and how the new coach views them as a player and how he will use him.
    A coaching change 4 months before signing day and another 4 weeks prior are not comparable. I cannot fathom a recruit paying attention to Bustle's contract expiring in 19 months. That was 19 months PRIOR to him getting an extension.

Right now Bustle's contract expires in 29 months June of 2012

_ I wasn’t for buying him out so the availability of State funds issue didn’t come into play from my perspective.

I didn't understand the renegotiation from either side, the concession from Bustle showed a lack of self-confidence. It was unnecessary since I think he was going to earn an extension anyway. _
    There is a little more to the story then that Turb. First, extending Bustle's contract allowed UL to accomplish two things. The UL-System has a cap on how much state money can be used for head football coaches salaries in the system. The head coaches salary is now set at that number, and UL will not have to go back to the board to get an increase for the next head coach, just the contract approval.

Second, the buy out negotiated is much lower then the previous number. Considering the state of economics in Louisiana, this is very important. You can expect more cuts down the road for academics and athletics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information