Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: UL System board approves tuition and fees

1. Default UL System board approves tuition and fees

Tuition and fees for 2015-16 have been approved for the University of Louisiana System’s nine colleges.

The ULS board approved tuition increases for eight of its universities under the GRAD Act of 2010. The act allows schools to raise tuition based on performance goals. A 10 percent increase was approved for UL.

In addition, seven universities were approved for fee increases under Act 377 that was signed July 1. A new general and auxiliary fee of $28.58 per credit hour was approved for UL.

The new tuition and fee rate will begin for the fall 2015 semester. An undergraduate resident who is enrolled for 12 credit hours during the fall, for example, will pay $4,128 instead of $3,436.

The changes bring UL closer to the Southern Regional Education Board average for tuition and fees.

The increase moves UL in line with Louisiana Tech University and the University of New Orleans, its peer institutions in the state.

Dr. Joseph Savoie, UL president, said the University will remain affordable, while growing its reputation as a top research institution.

The university will allocate 10 percent of the new fees toward financial assistance for need-based students, and also will increase merit-based scholarships.

“The University ranks as one of best in the nation at helping lower-income students earn degrees,” Savoie said. “We will continue to support all of our students.”

Some of the additional revenue will be allocated for academic resources and to grow auxiliary support, according to Dr. James Henderson, provost and vice president of academic affairs.

“These funds will help make the University’s academic core even stronger and improve the overall student experience,” Henderson said.

Louisiana.edu

Default Re: UL System board approves tuition and fees

That's nice. About time we make an effort to catch up.

wow.. that's a 17% increase. at least TOPS is going to absorb some of that.

4. Default Re: UL System board approves tuition and fees

We need to be in line with UNEAUX & LTUR instead of Grambling. Long overdue.

About damn time. Education ain't free folks. There is a cost involved, and while the State should absorb some of that, the principal cost should be borne by those who will profit from it in the long run, and that is students.

6. Default Re: UL System board approves tuition and fees

Not a good year to try passing a student athletic fee.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Hilarious seeing the meltdown on Facebook. Parents you should be proud of yourselves, raising such fine, whiny, entitlement babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Not a good year to try passing a student athletic fee.
    but technically since we are allowed a % of the total budget this is like getting a small student fee passed?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    but technically since we are allowed a % of the total budget this is like getting a small student fee passed?
    Interesting observation.

Equally interesting to see if this is used to restore the cuts.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL System board approves tuition and fees

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    It COULD be.. but with Savoie in charge, it probably won't be. I actually don't have a problem with that, as long as it staves off further cuts in the % that the school actually gives athletics..

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Hilarious seeing the meltdown on Facebook. Parents you should be proud of yourselves, raising such fine, whiny, entitlement babies.
    Yeah, isn't it amazing that your kids and mine managed to get through by working? Imagine that? Such a novel concept that they are investing in their own future, and that it is their responsibility to actually fund the investment.

12. Default Re: UL System board approves tuition and fees

The only thing bad about it will be the quick change people have to make. Would have been better had it been instituted a few years ago and phased in.

13. Default Re: UL System board approves tuition and fees

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    The only thing bad about it will be the quick change people have to make. Would have been better had it been instituted a few years ago and phased in.
    ---Am I close on this? Increase per semester $692---2 semesters $1384

close to 18K students gets you close to an extra $25 mill---I know it can't be that much but some serious bucks added so the take away from athletics could be less or even the giving could be more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Yeah, isn't it amazing that your kids and mine managed to get through by working? Imagine that? Such a novel concept that they are investing in their own future, and that it is their responsibility to actually fund the investment.
    I am very proud to say that all four of my children have degrees from UL (Industrial Technology, Finance, Business Management and Education) and only one of them qualified for TOPS. The other three could have done a little better in high school and obtained TOPS, but they took after their dad (me) and played a little too much in high school rather than put a little more time in the books.

But what I am most proud of is the fact that all four graduated with no debt related to their college education. Other than paying for their first semester of college, they paid for the remaining tuition with no assistance from me. They all got part-time jobs and worked while going to UL. This allowed them to graduate without having the need to pay off student loans after graduation.

Even with the new fee structure, UL is a great deal. My four kids are living proof that it is possible to work, go to school and graduate with no long term student load debt.

I am one proud Daddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Even with the new fee structure, UL is a great deal. My four kids are living proof that it is possible to work, go to school and graduate with no long term student load debt.

I am one proud Daddy!
    Did they have to pay rent too or did they live at home? I worked my tail off in college and still was barely able to make ends meet while having to get loans in school and I had 3 roomates. I guess it's possible but it is very very hard to come out of college with no debt. Kudos to your kids.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information