Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread: Cajuns hoops crowds top SBC

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    The primary component of building up our attendance is when we establish a perception that our program is exciting again. To get back the people that used to go on a regular basis, we need to bust a year with 25 plus wins and be a threat in the NCAA or NIT. I do believe better opponents yield more attendance, at certain times. I don't think it's much of a cure to focus on right now. It would be "nice" to play better competition. but I think having an across the area feeling that Cajun's MBB is exciting at the dome and a great way to spend your evening. is with an overpowering program. It may be a little of the chicken and the egg. but we're actually past that analogy. MBB has to blow it out to get the interest re-established. And of course. as I mentioned. the Fabulous Cajun Chicken must also return.
    Getting exciting again means getting better players, better players want to know they are playing tennessee, umass, miss state, even latech, soutgern miss, tulane, houston etc are more attractive to fans and players than exhibitions and teams nobody has heard of.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Cajuns hoops crowds top SBC

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Getting exciting again means getting better players, better players want to know they are playing tennessee, umass, miss state, even latech, soutgern miss, tulane, houston etc are more attractive to fans and players than exhibitions and teams nobody has heard of.
    That's why I used the chicken or the egg reference. But it works both ways. You can't just schedule better programs and beat them with lesser talent. If we want to get the party started, it has to be with dominating the schedule we have. That's my opinion. I do like the idea of challenging the AD to find ways to get more exciting OOC opponents on the schedule. that's just plain smart. But I think athletes think of way more than who we play. Fans are way more interested in who we play OOC than our basketball recruits.

3. Sunbelt Re: Cajuns hoops crowds top SBC

IMO the recruits do want to play the most competitive teams they can gather. The more attractive the prospect the more he wants to compete against stronger opponents.

We are poised to have a break out year. IMO it will be UL, Ga State, and even ULM at the top of the conference. We will be better than the sum our parts if Coach Marlin can get them all together early. No doubt there will be challenges. All the SBC teams have an opportunity to be very good this year and all will suffer for having two non division one teams on their schedule. Next year they will be allowed only one if my memory serves me correct.

If they didn't care who they played, conference affiliation wouldnt matter

If Tulane can do it, no reason we can't. They host an ACC school every year.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf._hoops_ag.html

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

If they didn't care who they played, conference affiliation wouldnt matter
    I didn't say it didn't matter to them. But I think playing minutes and how soon, TV time, post season opps, coaching styles, team chemistry, reputation of the school, the campus lifestyle, proximity to their family/friends, dorm conditions, knowing other people at the school, etc play a bigger role. I do think opponents and such matter. but they matter more to fans than the players IMO.

I didn't say it didn't matter to them. But I think playing minutes and how soon, TV time, post season opps, coaching styles, team chemistry, reputation of the school, the campus lifestyle, proximity to their family/friends, dorm conditions, knowing other people at the school, etc play a bigger role. I do think opponents and such matter. but they matter more to fans than the players IMO.
    That's all a part of recruiting, Im not even talking about P5's. Some home and homes with g5's would be nice.

That's all a part of recruiting, Im not even talking about P5's. Some home and homes with g5's would be nice.
    I agree with that. It seems like the thread went the way of paying top dollar for better programs in order to increase attendance not being the real solution. I think we'd all like some better home games. How much is a reasonable amount, or what other compromise would be required, is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    IMO the recruits do want to play the most competitive teams they can gather. The more attractive the prospect the more he wants to compete against stronger opponents.

We are poised to have a break out year. IMO it will be UL, Ga State, and even ULM at the top of the conference. We will be better than the sum our parts if Coach Marlin can get them all together early. No doubt there will be challenges. All the SBC teams have an opportunity to be very good this year and all will suffer for having two non division one teams on their schedule. Next year they will be allowed only one if my memory serves me correct.
    I am not sure what the limits for non D1 games will be next year. However, I do know there is a 50000 dollar fine if you play more than 2 this coming year. As far as I know, the rule that you can only play one more road game than the sum of your home games plus neutral court games is still in play. Note, results of non D1 games count on your record but does not factor in your RPI. A loss of course is embarrassing. That happened against Texas College early in Coach Marlin's first year due to him not play Raymone Andrews for disciplinary reasons. We have blown out every other non D1 opponent other than that game and of course that is what should happen. These type games do allow some of the non regulars to play more which can help down the road if you need to play them at a more critical juncture of a conference game due to fouls, injuries, or matchups. That being said, I am in now way advocating we do this more frequently. I believe one of those games is enough in a season.

To get back the people that used to go on a regular basis, we need to bust a year with 25 plus wins and be a threat in the NCAA or NIT. I do believe better opponents yield more attendance, at certain times.
    We won 23 games and made it to the NCAA and gave Creighton all they wanted in the NCAA tournament.

And 25 wins has only been accomplished twice. Ever.

Players do want to play good teams. This year we are playing Miami, Alabama and UCLA. And, we are playing Tech as well.

Houston? Seriously?

That's why I used the chicken or the egg reference. But it works both ways. You can't just schedule better programs and beat them with lesser talent. If we want to get the party started, it has to be with dominating the schedule we have. That's my opinion. I do like the idea of challenging the AD to find ways to get more exciting OOC opponents on the schedule. that's just plain smart. But I think athletes think of way more than who we play. Fans are way more interested in who we play OOC than our basketball recruits.
    Sorry. Can't agree. Fans on this board may be more interested. But look at the numbers.

If you can't crack 4,000 fans unless you're playing a top ten team, you can't tell me fans are more interested in OOC.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    Players do want to play good teams. This year we are playing Miami, Alabama and UCLA. And, we are playing Tech as well.

Houston? Seriously?
    yes they are more attractive to fans than milligan, centenary and Louisiana college

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I am not sure what the limits for non D1 games will be next year. However, I do know there is a 50000 dollar fine if you play more than 2 this coming year. As far as I know, the rule that you can only play one more road game than the sum of your home games plus neutral court games is still in play.
    The rule is two, even next year.

And that home/away thing is no longer a rule. Appalachian State played a total D-1 schedule last year. And, played only 12 home games.

That's part of the problem you guys don't realize (or pay attention to.)

1. We play three guarantee games this year. Those are games with no return visit. Basketball does NOT get that money to buy home games.

2. In order to play home and home, you have to find opponents who are willing, AND their dates have to match up. You'd be amazed at the schools who won't play us home and home because they don't want to play us, period. We had to get politics involved just to get UNO on the schedule this year.

3. Some of you say, fine, play more road games. Totally unfair to student athletes. They're either missing more school (in games before Dec. 10th or so) or simply spending too much time on the road which will wear them down more easily. Those of you who don't believe that haven't traveled near enough, especially with the exertion required PLUS studies. You HAVE to put your student-athletes in a position to have success. Seventeen road games will not do that.

Honestly, I've played devil's advocate on the non-D1's with the coaching staff. And, I got an education in the difficulties involved in scheduling. It's much tougher than I thought.

I am not a fan of the non-D1's. But I don't have a better solution and I havent heard from anyone who does.

yes they are more attractive to fans than milligan, centenary and Louisiana college
    More attractive than what?

Look at the attendance figures the last couple of times we played them. It's right there on the athletic department website.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread Information