Thread: Thoughts on pitching to Bregman?

Default Thoughts on pitching to Bregman?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Robe's decision to pitch to Bregman with 1st base open. I thought it was the right move considering bregman was one of their coldest hitters and scvicque on deck (who hit a hr earlier).

Maybe Robe leaves gunner leger in one batter too many, but I can't fault the decision to let leger battle it out.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Thoughts on pitching to Bregman?

Thought he would of gone to Demo with bregman up.

The Cajuns lack of getting key hits with runners in scoring position was a bigger factor than pitching to Bregman! Tigers got the key hits, Cajuns didn't. That's baseball.

4. Default Re: Thoughts on pitching to Bregman?

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    The Cajuns lack of getting key hits with runners in scoring position was a bigger factor than pitching to Bregman! Tigers got the key hits, Cajuns didn't. That's baseball.
    This 100000x

We had chances AGAIN all night long. Just didn't get the hits we needed this weekend.

5. Default Re: Thoughts on pitching to Bregman?

-p---Yes and although there are other parts to the chain---"KEY HITS AT CRITICAL TIMES" was the difference---thanks for coming up with something other than timely hitting!!! lol

No doubt. We had our chances last night and tonight. We moved runners up to get them in scoring position and they didn't get driven in. Hard to believe we were even in some games this postseason with the way the top of the line up hit.

yep out hit the tighas by 5 hits this weekend

No doubt we had our opportunities to win, and bregman's base hit was not the sole reason for the outcome of the game.

I just like hearing other people's opinions on strategic decisions made in the game. They call baseball a thinking mans game for situations such as these.

I don't think there was a right or wrong decision in this particular instance. Had bregman been playing in top form, I think a stronger argument could have been made to work around him.

Leger acknowledged he missed on his pitch and made mistake. Those things happen and he paid the price. If he makes his pitch, we might not be having this conversation. As we all know, hind sight is 20/20.

Nothing wrong with keeping Gunner in to pitch to Bregman. The dude hit Gunner's pitch. He didn't hit it hard. It was a chopper that squeezed through the infield. It that ball hits one of our infielders, whole different game.

You have to make your innings relevant on the mound, too.

When you send a dude that's carving people up out in the 5th, 6th, and 7th with zero runs, you're not going to win many of those games.

I know we have lately, but that was just an insane run.

Eventually, you have to support your guy on the mound and take some pressure off.

I said before the 6th and before the 7th: how much more can we possibly ask of Leger?

Eventually, LSU was going to break through.

And yeah. a dude that's 0 for 15 in the NCAA tournament? I'm not pitching around that guy to get to the next one, who hammered me earlier in the game. Even if he's famous.

And we would've brought in D-Mo, who also got hammered. I was fine with Leger pitching to Bregman.

I never second guess a coach after the fact for something I thought was a good idea before the fact.

Ditto

I had no problem pitching to Bregman. I don't think it was even a question.

I think there are two key differences between really good teams and great teams (WCS teams). Key number one is that they have a group of pitchers that have extremely good command and control. They don't make mistakes. Key number two is to have hitters that take advantage of every mistake a great pitcher makes. That is where LSU exceled against us. Anytime we made a mistake with a pitch they made us pay.

Quote Originally Posted by marine dude View Post
    Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Robe's decision to pitch to Bregman with 1st base open. I thought it was the right move considering bregman was one of their coldest hitters and scvicque on deck (who hit a hr earlier).

Maybe Robe leaves gunner leger in one batter too many, but I can't fault the decision to let leger battle it out.

Thoughts?
    I had no problem with it. Also had no problem wih Leger being in. He was inducing infield grounders. They basically opened the game up by chopping a couple of grounders over Leger's head. No much can be done about that. Sivicque's was just a clutch hit at the right time. We needed one in the 8th and didn't get it.

I told my wife before the AB, that Robe needed to go get Leger.

Would D-Mo, done any better? Who knows, maybe the exact same thing would have happened.

Thread Information