Thread: Rice outlasts Houston in 20 innings, will face Cajuns in regional final

1. UL Baseball Rice outlasts Houston in 20 innings, will face Cajuns in regional final

HOUSTON – It took 20 innings, 573 pitches, 155 plate appearances and more than six hours to decide, but Rice emerged from a marathon battle against Houston as the last team standing with a 3-2 win.

“I’m not sure I’ve had a game that long before,” said Rice’s nearly octogenarian coach Wayne Graham, “but it ended right.”

Leon Byrd, who entered the game as a pinch-hitter in the 12th inning, roped a double down the right field line to score Ryan Chandler as the clock neared 2 a.m. Monday morning, and Austin Orewiler (6-2) recorded his 28th out in relief in the bottom half of the inning to send the Owls (37-21) into Monday’s regional championship against the Ragin’ Cajuns.

The rest of the story
    THE Advocate

Default Re: Rice outlasts Houston in 20 innings, will face Cajuns in regional final

Luke you were probably half asleep when you filed this but you say Byrd pinch hit in the 12th. I think you meant 20th. Houston should have tied it back up in the bottom and gone another 10 innings.

Default Re: Rice outlasts Houston in 20 innings, will face Cajuns in regional final

Maybe he stayed in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Maybe he stayed in the game?
    Oh maybe so. I read that as 12th innings. Yada Yada. 2am. I not good with long sentence or the English language.

He definitely pinch hit around the 12th and had multiple at bats before the 20th's game winner.... Besides the point... How bout them Cajuns!!!

6. Default Re: Rice outlasts Houston in 20 innings, will face Cajuns in regional final

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
    Luke you were probably half asleep when you filed this but you say Byrd pinch hit in the 12th. I think you meant 20th. Houston should have tied it back up in the bottom and gone another 10 innings.
    No, Byrd definitely stayed in the game for three subsequent ABs.

Brian

Yep, he definitely came in the 12th inning. But let's be real, I was also definitely half asleep.

My brother in law and myself both watched the whole thing....and attended the game today. I just finished the 1st of many naps before bedtime sitting in my lounge chair......

9. Default Re: Rice outlasts Houston in 20 innings, will face Cajuns in regional final

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    My brother in law and myself both watched the whole thing....and attended the game today. I just finished the 1st of many naps before bedtime sitting in my lounge chair......
    ---Ah BB--there was an excellent tv shot of you talking to 2 guys and your sombrero looked very cool!!!

Thread Information