Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Houston Regional Game 5 - Rice vs. Houston

Default Re: Houston Regional Game 6 - Rice vs. Houston (coin flip to determine home team)

Let's not forget the 07 regional. If we somehow lose the. 1st game I think the odds shift in rice's favor. Gotta win tonight !

Default Re: Houston Regional Game 6 - Rice vs. Houston (coin flip to determine home team)

I'll bet more than one Rice player didn't sleep at all.

Let's not forget what we did the Mississippi State last year. Gotta take care of business. I do expect more runs to be scored by the Cajuns today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    I'll bet more than one Rice player didn't sleep at all.
    Yup, it's hard to come down from the high I'm sure they had after that game. No doubt they are gonna be a very tired group of guys.

Game started in May and ended in June. Those guys have to be tired.

6. Default Re: Houston Regional Game 6 - Rice vs. Houston (coin flip to determine home team)

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGuy84 View Post
    By my math, according to their roster/statistics, I see 6 pitchers available based on whos pitched significant innings this regional. The for sure 6 I see available are

Solecitto (2.87 ERA, 15 app, 1 start, 0-1 record)
    Williamson(4.50 ERA, 14 app, 0 starts, 1-2 record)
    Pettite(6.16 ERA, 14 app, 0 starts, 1-1 record)
    McCarthy(0.00 ERA, 5 app, 0 starts, mysteriously 0-1 record)
    Myers (2.61 ERA, 7 Appearances, 1 start, 0-0 record)
    Amador (9.0 ERA, 6 appearances, 2 starts, 0-0 record)

The last 3 guys (McCarthy, Myers, Amador) combine for 24.2 IP, so the other 3 are much more likely to get called on.

Stephens (2.65 ERA, 16 appearances, 10 starts, 6-4 record) is a Likely candidate to get a second start in the regional I'd guess, as he went 3.1 innings before the rain delay Saturday. Judging by the stats of the guys, It seems that Rice is big on not worrying about making a pitcher pitch deep and turning it over early. The key will be getting to the starter early, they have good pitchers left, but not enough to guys to fill out 2 games worth, but our bats have to come to life, particularly at the top of the order.
    Rice is throwing Stephens today. He is their ace, and very good. Saturday basically would function as a bullpen day. So the Cajuns will have to earn the win the hard wayagain.

7. Default Re: Houston Regional Game 6 - Rice vs. Houston (coin flip to determine home team)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad View Post
    Game started in May and ended in June. Those guys have to be tired.
    ---Yea but remember that baseball when compared to other sports is the least taxing---Remember that they are 18-23 year olds---and all athletes have gone with the late night out to the early morning practices----Maybe FUN can give us a medical on how the body reacts to the sleep and physical makeup for RICE!!!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Rice will play very wellfor about 4 inninngs. Adrenaline does crazy things but eventually the heat, humidity and lack of sleep take over. Shame on us if we don't win this thing.

Geaux Cajuns!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Man, I miss MissionOmaha! I saw his Mom lurking last night.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Rice will play very wellfor about 4 inninngs. Adrenaline does crazy things but eventually the heat, humidity and lack of sleep take over. Shame on us if we don't win this thing.

Geaux Cajuns!
    Their heads will be writing checks their legs can't cash.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGuy84 View Post
    By my math, according to their roster/statistics, I see 6 pitchers available based on whos pitched significant innings this regional. The for sure 6 I see available are

Solecitto (2.87 ERA, 15 app, 1 start, 0-1 record)
    Williamson(4.50 ERA, 14 app, 0 starts, 1-2 record)
    Pettite(6.16 ERA, 14 app, 0 starts, 1-1 record)
    McCarthy(0.00 ERA, 5 app, 0 starts, mysteriously 0-1 record)
    Myers (2.61 ERA, 7 Appearances, 1 start, 0-0 record)
    Amador (9.0 ERA, 6 appearances, 2 starts, 0-0 record)

The last 3 guys (McCarthy, Myers, Amador) combine for 24.2 IP, so the other 3 are much more likely to get called on.

Stephens (2.65 ERA, 16 appearances, 10 starts, 6-4 record) is a Likely candidate to get a second start in the regional I'd guess, as he went 3.1 innings before the rain delay Saturday. Judging by the stats of the guys, It seems that Rice is big on not worrying about making a pitcher pitch deep and turning it over early. The key will be getting to the starter early, they have good pitchers left, but not enough to guys to fill out 2 games worth, but our bats have to come to life, particularly at the top of the order.
    The problem with Stephens as I noted . He is coming off of TJ surgery. Not saying Graham will not do it.

Brian

I don't think they will be physically unable to perform. This is baseball, not football or basketball. They only advantage we have is the amount of pitching they have had to use up already.

Quote Originally Posted by Textitan View Post
    Rice is throwing Stephens today. He is their ace, and very good. Saturday basically would function as a bullpen day. So the Cajuns will have to earn the win the hard wayagain.
    According to their site, he has 55 innings pitched over 16 appearances and 10 starts, if only his starts were considered he's only averaging going between 5-6 innings per game. He's 4th in ERA, 4th in IP, but tied for 3rd in Strike outs and lowest batting average against of the "starters". Stephens will get the start but my guess is he's got 4-5 innings in him and they'll have to piece together the rest of the game. We can NOT let this guy go 6+ innings.

14. Default Re: Houston Regional Game 6 - Rice vs. Houston (coin flip to determine home team)

The biggest advantage we have is the mental edge. That's as big as any.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    The problem with Stephens as I noted . He is coming off of TJ surgery. Not saying Graham will not do it.

Brian
    That's why my original thought is that I thought he would be the "If Necessary" starter, but I could be wrong.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information