Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: UL uncertain on game one starting pitcher

1. Default Re: UL uncertain on game one starting pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    These guys are throwing soft bullpens right now. They've had adequate rest. All are ready to go except for Gunner on Friday.

Do you risk Milhorn not getting the win Friday and having to rely on the same 3 freshman to stave off elimination? If so, then why not start Marks or Guillory on Friday? If it doesn't work, you still have 2 freshman and Milhorn/Bacon that can work their way through the loser's bracket.
    I trust Robe, whomever he throws, he feels will give us the best chance to win. I just personally think Milhorn might be the best option. If we opt to go Marks or Guillory than so be it.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL uncertain on game one starting pitcher

I'll go with whatever Tony decides. LOL I just had to add one of the most irritating post inclusions in any RP thread. that does not include a description of my thong. LOL

(Not meant to insult RaginDave. he added logic to his post. unlike me LOL)

Milhorn has never pitched in a regional or super regional. Does that change your argument?
    Thanks, I had forgotten that Milhorn was injured for the Regional and Super Ragional. No, because it all comes down to matchups. And if Milhorn is the best matchup against Rice because of what he throws, he will be the guy. And while Milhorn has not pitched in any regionals, he still has wins against LSU, Alabama, Stony Brook and Troy as a starter. Its just a hunch or guess, as is yours.

It seems like Tony likes where Milhorn is in the rotation right now. I wouldn't second guess Tony if he started Milhorn but I would be a litle surprised - some guys are better starting, others are better out of the pen and since his last injury Milhorn has been GREAT out of the pen.why change it now when the stakes are highest?

That said, I think its critical we take an early lead on Rice so of Milhorn is our best bet to get an early lead, then whatever it takes to win. Plus, if Milhorn can get us through the Rice game, our weekend starters would still be intact moving into Saturday. That would be a helluva position to be in.

Will be interesting to see what Robe does

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Thanks, I had forgotten that Milhorn was injured for the Regional and Super Ragional. No, because it all comes down to matchups. And if Milhorn is the best matchup against Rice because of what he throws, he will be the guy. And while Milhorn has not pitched in any regionals, he still has wins against LSU, Alabama, Stony Brook and Troy as a starter. Its just a hunch or guess, as is yours.
    Mine is also a guess, but it is based on prior Tony pitching decisions. Look at last year. He had the chance to sit Austin against Jackson State. He didn't because he didn't want to mess with the rotation. He could have done the same in the 2014 SBC tournament, but again didn't because he didn't want to mess with the rotation.

The LSU win is nice, but that was in 2014. He has not been a winning pitcher against Alabama.

I don't want this to sound like I'm putting down Greg. However, I feel that his role currently fits him nicely (long relief). He's had more success in that role than he did in 2014 and the early part of 2015.

6. Default Re: UL uncertain on game one starting pitcher

Mine is also a guess, but it is based on prior Tony pitching decisions. Look at last year. He had the chance to sit Austin against Jackson State. He didn't because he didn't want to mess with the rotation. He could have done the same in the 2014 SBC tournament, but again didn't because he didn't want to mess with the rotation.

The LSU win is nice, but that was in 2014. He has not been a winning pitcher against Alabama.

I don't want this to sound like I'm putting down Greg. However, I feel that his role currently fits him nicely (long relief). He's had more success in that role than he did in 2014 and the early part of 2015.
    The problem is that you are already messing with the rotation, Leger is out, so you don't have him on Friday. Again Marks might not be fully ready anyway, which leaves Guillory. Nothing against Guillory, but it is like last year, I would not have wanted Boutte on Friday either, I liked him as a Sunday guy, but not against someone else's ace. Regardless win or lose we are set up for another run through the losers bracket if Millhorn pitches, and if he win's, then I really like our chances all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by DocCajun View Post
    It seems like Tony likes where Milhorn is in the rotation right now. I wouldn't second guess Tony if he started Milhorn but I would be a litle surprised - some guys are better starting, others are better out of the pen and since his last injury Milhorn has been GREAT out of the pen.why change it now when the stakes are highest?

That said, I think its critical we take an early lead on Rice so of Milhorn is our best bet to get an early lead, then whatever it takes to win. Plus, if Milhorn can get us through the Rice game, our weekend starters would still be intact moving into Saturday. That would be a helluva position to be in.

Will be interesting to see what Robe does
    Robe really believes in Milhorn. He believes he has destiny on his side and he's going to do something special.

What you said here makes a lot of sense, though. If anyone gets in a bind early in a game, it's nice to have an "almost-starter' than can come into the 2nd inning and get us deep into the game. That's how we beat Troy.

Middle relief sucks across the NCAA. If you can hang around in games your starter doesn't have it, that's huge. I think we have a few guys that could get us the middle relief we need to hang around, if we need it.

But I have a feeling Milhorn's going to start Friday.

I'm good with whatever Robe decides. All of these dudes can pitch. Robe's right: you HIT your way THROUGH a regional. We pitched to get here, but we'll need to hit our way through the weekend. I like any of our pitchers to give us a chance. The bats have to take advantage.

I understand going with what he has done in the past. I'm going on what he told me Monday at the selection show about Milhorn. Again its a hunch, but he did say some things about Milhorn that make sense. In either case, whatever decision he makes I'm confident he has considered everything and will go with the best matchup available Friday.

Do we know who Rice will be throwing?
    Also, if we play against Houston in game 2, I'm sure we can expect to see their ace. I don't think they'll throw their 1 or even 2 guy against HBU.

10. Default Re: UL uncertain on game one starting pitcher

I would assume Houston will throw there Saturday or Sunday guy, vs. HBU. If so they have options. They lost there best starter early in the season, but were able to put together a Fri/Sat/Sun group that on paper looks pretty tough. There options are:

Romero 2.15 ERA 7-4 record 7 starts Sunday Starter
    Lantrip 2.50 ERA 8-3 record 15 starts Friday Starter
    Dowdy 2.62 ERA 9-2 record 11 starts Saturday Starter
    Longville 2.95 ERA 5-2 record 10 starts Weekday Starter

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I would assume Houston will throw there Saturday or Sunday guy, vs. HBU. If so they have options. They lost there best starter early in the season, but were able to put together a Fri/Sat/Sun group that on paper looks pretty tough. There options are:

Romero 2.15 ERA 7-4 record 7 starts Sunday Starter
    Lantrip 2.50 ERA 8-3 record 15 starts Friday Starter
    Dowdy 2.62 ERA 9-2 record 11 starts Saturday Starter
    Longville 2.95 ERA 5-2 record 10 starts Weekday Starter
    Their depth is probably why they were an early season top 5 team.

12. Default Re: UL uncertain on game one starting pitcher

Rice starters stack up like this, FWIW:

McCanna 3.05 ERA 7-3 record in 14 starts Saturday Starter
    Stephens 3.12 ERA 6-4 record in 9 starts Friday Starter
    Fox 3.34 ERA 8-2 record in 14 starts Sunday Starter

other option:
    Orewiler 2.63 ERA 5-1 record in 7 starts Weekday Starter/relief guy
    Otto 1.56 ERA 2-0 record in 2 starts Weekday starter/relief guy

It's either Evan or Wyatt per Jay (per Tony).

And it's Evan or Wyatt on Saturday also.

Which then leads to Gunner to pitch Sunday.

It's either Evan or Wyatt per Jay (per Tony).

And it's Evan or Wyatt on Saturday also.

Which then leads to Gunner to pitch Sunday.
    I really love this. Reminds me of 2000 at South Carolina in the Super.

How many 3 seeds in America are holding their ace until Sunday? How many 3 seeds truly believe they can win the thing?

I promise you this: the Ragin' Cajuns do.

This thing is very wide open.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information