Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: UL uncertain on game one starting pitcher

Default Re: UL uncertain on game one starting pitcher

Man.which of these pitchers that have all been red hot do we throw? This is such a terrible problem!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I would not be surprised if his name is Milhorn
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is Milhorn. He has been lights out over the last few weeks and it allows Coach Rob to push Gunner and Wyatt to Saturday. It depends upon how he matches up with the Rice lineup, my guess is Milhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is Milhorn. He has been lights out over the last few weeks and it allows Coach Rob to push Gunner and Wyatt to Saturday. It depends upon how he matches up with the Rice lineup, my guess is Milhorn.
    But then you are limiting yourself by having Bacon be the only option for long relief. If Milhorn gets off to a rocky start Friday, you've now burned Bacon (no pun intended) and he wouldn't be available Saturday.

I still think its Evan or Wyatt and Tony keeps Milhorn and Bacon in the normal bullpen roles. Don't mess with what got you to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    But then you are limiting yourself by having Bacon be the only option for long relief. If Milhorn gets off to a rocky start Friday, you've now burned Bacon (no pun intended) and he wouldn't be available Saturday.

I still think its Evan or Wyatt and Tony keeps Milhorn and Bacon in the normal bullpen roles. Don't mess with what got you to this point.
    This is playoff baseball though. You can't worry about not burning pitchers. It does you no good to save your best pitchers if you go 0-2. You play to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    This is playoff baseball though. You can't worry about not burning pitchers. It does you no good to save your best pitchers if you go 0-2. You play to win the game.
    But it's about having guys who have been successful coming out of the bullpen. You still gotta win at least 3 games best case scenario. Which will involve the bullpen at some point. If you drop a game you really gonna need the bullpen. Having milhorn and bacon in the bullpen was the reason we are in a regional.

Its about getting to the championship game. It comes down to matchups, but does Coach Robichaux want to go with a freshman against Rice in the opening game if his name is not Gunner Leger? It sounded like he was reluctant to do that, but again it comes down to matchups.

7. Default Re: UL uncertain on game one starting pitcher

I think if he chooses Milly and he gets in trouble, then it would be pitcher by committee if Bacon would struggle.

You are confident that Moore can give you "Moore" than one inning, you also have Charpentier and Carter who have started games that could go long relief, but if that did not work, you might see inning by inning. But I think Bacon, Charp and Carter would be your long relief options and Lee, Cooper, Stoelke, Bazar would be inning by inning guys.

Again, Moore would be the "X" factor, he has gone 2 innings plus in 11 times this season including 3 innings vs App State and 4.1 vs McNeese State. Charp has pitched 3+ innings in 4 games this year and had multiple 2+ inning games and Carter has pitched 7 innings, 3 innings, 5.2 innings and 2 innings in his last 4 outings. You have other options besides Bacon, if Milly pitches is my point.

Hopefully it won't come to that this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    But it's about having guys who have been successful coming out of the bullpen. You still gotta win at least 3 games best case scenario. Which will involve the bullpen at some point. If you drop a game you really gonna need the bullpen. Having milhorn and bacon in the bullpen was the reason we are in a regional.
    I agree that Milhorn and Bacon have been great in long relief. But Milhorn was in the starting rotation before he was injured. Milhorn has already pitched in regionals and a super regional. He was pitched against Alabama twice over the past two seasons. He is the only arm that can start that has pitched in a regional, to me that negates the discussion of his present role. Guillory could come in and pitch long relief in Friday's game as well. Again, we may all be off because it comes down to matchups and I'm not sitting in the room with the coaches.

Its about getting to the championship game. It comes down to matchups, but does Coach Robichaux want to go with a freshman against Rice in the opening game if his name is not Gunner Leger? It sounded like he was reluctant to do that, but again it comes down to matchups.
    Why wouldn't he go with a freshman? He's gone with a freshman on the weekend for the last few months. You don't change that now.

Why wouldn't he go with a freshman? He's gone with a freshman on the weekend for the last few months. You don't change that now.
    Explained my thoughts in my last post.

11. Default Re: UL uncertain on game one starting pitcher

Because of how much they pitched between Wednesday and Sunday. Remember, Leger pitched 13.2 innings and threw 191 pitches including 92 on Sunday. Wyatt pitched 7.1 innings and threw 134 pitches including 109 on Saturday afternoon and Guillory pitched 6.0 innings and threw 110 pitches on Saturday night. Guillory would be the most ready on the longest rest, but Guillory has been your least consistant pitcher and he is a freshman going up against Rice's ACE starter, for those reasons you might go with Milly to get you a chance to get an extra days rest for Leger, Marks and Guillory, if that happens you might be able to get through the winners bracket and still have Guillory, Leger and/or Marks available for the elimination games against someone who has to beat you twice.

I agree that Milhorn and Bacon have been great in long relief. But Milhorn was in the starting rotation before he was injured. Milhorn has already pitched in regionals and a super regional. He was pitched against Alabama twice over the past two seasons. He is the only arm that can start that has pitched in a regional, to me that negates the discussion of his present role. Guillory could come in and pitch long relief in Friday's game as well. Again, we may all be off because it comes down to matchups and I'm not sitting in the room with the coaches.
    He is also coming off an injury and 1 extended outing and another decent bullpen outing not long ago. I trust whoever they run out there will get the job done.

On the subject of match ups, I'm glad Gunner can't go in game 1. Rice is 10-2 when facing a starting LHP. They are 25-18 when facing a starting RHP.

Milhorn has never pitched in a regional or super regional. Does that change your argument?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Because of how much they pitched between Wednesday and Sunday. Remember, Leger pitched 13.2 innings and threw 191 pitches including 92 on Sunday. Wyatt pitched 7.1 innings and threw 134 pitches including 109 on Saturday afternoon and Guillory pitched 6.0 innings and threw 110 pitches on Saturday night. Guillory would be the most ready on the longest rest, but Guillory has been your least consistant pitcher and he is a freshman going up against Rice's ACE starter, for those reasons you might go with Milly to get you a chance to get an extra days rest for Leger, Marks and Guillory, if that happens you might be able to get through the winners bracket and still have Guillory, Leger and/or Marks available for the elimination games against someone who has to beat you twice.
    These guys are throwing soft bullpens right now. They've had adequate rest. All are ready to go except for Gunner on Friday.

Do you risk Milhorn not getting the win Friday and having to rely on the same 3 freshman to stave off elimination? If so, then why not start Marks or Guillory on Friday? If it doesn't work, you still have 2 freshman and Milhorn/Bacon that can work their way through the loser's bracket.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information