Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL budget slashed $4.6 Million

1. Support UL budget slashed $4.6 Million

Louisiana's college and universities on Friday released a slew of budget cutting measures — from shuttering programs to layoffs — to absorb almost $84 million in mid-year reductions mandated by sagging state revenues.

At UL, those cuts will hit economic and business development centers and research initiatives the hardest, while also cutting into athletics and maintenance. For the most part, instruction has been saved and there are no widespread layoffs or furloughs for university faculty or staff.

The rest of the story

Tina Marie Macias
    tmacias@theadvertiser.com

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: UL budget slashed $4.6 Million

If things keep getting squeezed from the budget, we will have to volunteer to paint the academic buildings soon, just like we did for the athletic facilities a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ If things keep getting squeezed from the budget, we will have to volunteer to paint the academic buildings soon, just like we did for the athletic facilities a few years ago. _

It sure is hard to progress our athletic programs with better paid coaches and resources when we already operate within such a thin budget to only have that thin budget cut further.

4. Default Re: UL budget slashed $4.6 Million

Anybody got the break down on the amount from each school????---Wonder how they derived the amount and from what areas????

Isn't it amazing that the State Reps and Senators run on making higher ed and health care a priority then when money gets short the first thing that gets cuts is higher ed and health care. I don't have any answers and apparently they don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Etowncajun View Post
    _ Isn't it amazing that the State Reps and Senators run on making higher ed and health care a priority then when money gets short the first thing that gets cuts is higher ed and health care. I don't have any answers and apparently they don't either. _

It does seem to come with its own level of irony doesn't it? Arguably, the two most important resources we have are the last to get funding and the first to be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _
    After reading this, I saw where faculty and Staff were not cut. Like Everything else, evaluate the faculty on their ability to teach ( some need to learn to speak the English Language better from what I have heard) and the student's ability to grasp what is being taught. As for Staff, that needs to be evaluated as to where we need the most help, matainenance and grounds or secretarial staff and assistance. Just a point taken .

Why give raises to those faculty members who don't have the ability to reach our students. When I was in School, I was fortunate to have faculty who spoke good English but it seems so many of our Math, Science, and computer professors are of Foreign Decent. Nothing is wrong with that because most are very intelligent but their language skills are hard to understand. I have that problem today working with Foreign engineers and at times I have to have repeat themselves or send me an email of their request.

How times have changed since the 60's and 70's .

8. Default Re: UL budget slashed $4.6 Million

OK guys --I found it ----UL -total 4 mil 600k with ath cut of 625K-----LTU-total 2 mil 500K with ath cut of 250K-----ULM total 2 mil 600K with ath cut of O---yes O---go figure!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ OK guys --I found it ----UL -total 4 mil 600k with ath cut of 625K-----LTU-total 2 mil 500K with ath cut of 250K-----ULM total 2 mil 600K with ath cut of O---yes O---go figure!!!!! _
    One difference between ULM and UL is that UL has a much higher direct institutional support revenue figure (6 mil) to begin w/ than ULM (3.5 mil). But that doesn't explain the difference w/La Tech (5.9 mil)

http://www.lla.state.la.us/about/div.ialaudit/2009/

10. Default Re: UL budget slashed $4.6 Million

The one thing that I do not understand from this terrific state is why cut the 2nd most populated university 4.6 million dollars but only cut LaTech to the sum of 2.5 million dollars. I understand that LaTech is smaller but I be willing to bet that La Tech almost gets as much as UL from the state.

11. Default Re: UL budget slashed $4.6 Million

I heard that the LSUBR cut was about 12 mil---not sure if is just the BR Campus!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ I heard that the LSUBR cut was about 12 mil---not sure if is just the BR Campus!!! _
    I believe the 12.6 was from the BR campus, bringing its total for the 3 runds of cuts to 42 mil

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/810.?showAll=y&c=y

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana's Ragin T View Post
    _ The one thing that I do not understand from this terrific state is why cut the 2nd most populated university 4.6 million dollars but only cut LaTech to the sum of 2.5 million dollars. I understand that LaTech is smaller but I be willing to bet that La Tech almost gets as much as UL from the state. _
    State Appropriations FY0607
    $323,592,119 - Louisiana St.
    $68,654,544 - UL-Lafayette
    $65,669,431 - New Orleans
    $62,586,008 - Southern
    $52,794,476 - Southeastern LA
    $52,774,760 - UL-Monroe
    $48,521,166 - Louisiana Tech
    $35,006,513 - Northwestern St.
    $32,606,269 - McNeese St.
    $30,743,734 - Nicholls St.
    $29,436,963 - Grambling St.
    $15,221,533 - Southern-New Orleans
    $15,078,676 - LSU-Shreveport
    $8,781,684 - LSU-Alexandria

I often wonder how much money this state could save if they combined regional campuses

UL and mcNeese
    La Tech, Northwestern and Monroe
    UNO and Southeastern
    a&m @br and Southern

Every man a king and a chicken in every pot. but maybe its time to change?

Is Jindal going to cut his transportation budget or will he continue flying to other states to make money to get re-elected to this state? What about his helicopter trips to the Northern part of this State to get money from Churches? Will that be cut?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information