Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A Simple Q for Robert Lee

Default Re: A Simple Q for Robert Lee

Quote Originally Posted by playincajun View Post
    _ I think you were mistaken by my comment on Tyren and the MTSU game. I by no means said to bench him. Tyren right now is the best player on the team night in and out. I watched the game on line and he was trying to hard. He was 1-5 from the free throw line at the time I thought Lee should take him out and let him refocus. He has the ablilty to sit down and watch what is going on during the game and then go back in and help himself. Free throws are mental when someone is struggling like he was he need a little breather. I am talking 2-3 minutes not bench him. And while he was on the bench one of the 4 coaches on the bench could of talked to him about what they saw going on. Hopefully they could actually coach. I think the reason Grandigo played so well is that he got the fouls he did and had to sit back and watch for a few to see what was going on. He would be a much better player if he did not have to try to create shots. He is not good off the dribble as noted by his at least one offensive fould or more a game. There should be set plays to get him off screeens and open. Again if there are plays and they run the plays. I do feel the freshmen that they have Mitchell and Andrews will be great players for UL if they are coached. They along with the rest of the team are frustrated. You want to talk about heart. It is difficult for players to know what is expected from them from game to game when they do not even know thier role on the team. There is no consistant starters and role players. Every team has 2-3 stars and then role players who do the dirtywork. Depending on what day of the week it is any player could be a starter, play 30 minutes, play 10 minutes or not play at all. None of them can tell you why they start or why they dont play at all. I agree that there is a need for structure on the team. Kids need to know their place is on the team. It amazes me that they get along as well as they do the way they are shuffled around.

The comment about them not be committed is also off. These players have not had two consecutive days of rest since October. That includes the holidays. They spent Christmas day on a bus from Dallas and were expeceted back in Lafayette for a Saturday evening practice. After the Cetenary loss they were at practice for Midnight until 2 am. Are some of them not living up to the expectations of them. Yes. Do they know it. Yes. Maybe some of the people on this board should venture to practice because something is not working and that is where it needs to be fixed. It might lead us to some insight. I remember in high school playing ball when my coach told us practice does not make perfect. PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. _

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you but rather, just trying to offer another perspective. Tyren was struggling for whatever reasons against MTSU. There's no doubt about it. However many coaches prefer to allow their players to get into a rhythm on the court and work out their issues in the game versus taking them out. For example, Roy Williams rarely calls a timeout in the middle of a long run against his team and he tends to allow his players to work through their struggles on the court. If you are missing foul shots and rushing your jumper, there is often little that you can say that will change what the player is doing wrong and let them settle down during the game. As a good coach, you have to be able to identify when to let them stay in and when to remove them, especially if their emotions are taking over and they are not relaxing.

You can talk about practice all you want but the bottom line is that Bureau and Gradnigo or arguably our two most talented players but they are also our laziest. If things are not going well on the offensive end, they are a liability on the defensive end as well. We don't carry the tough rebounders mentality that "every ball is mine" and we don't have defensive toughness or discipline which is to be blamed on the player and coach.

In regards to practice, you are exactly right. However, the players are the one's who practice. If there is no effort and focus in practice, how can they do it perfectly. When I played, there were just days where we were unfocused and our energy was zapped, there was nothing our coach could do about it so we had to know when to restructure. I sometimes think that people put too much blame and too much praise on the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ Perhaps some of those issues were why Robert Lee closed practice at the end of the spring and again this season. But hey, some people in the media just blew that out of proportion, right? _

And how would those issues have been resolved by allowing the media in?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ Regarding the West title from 2 years ago. That team had Elijah Milsap and David Dees on it. Although they did not play together well, they were two guys who could get to the basket and finish plays. No one on the team now can do that. Milsap had 22 points the other night when UAB won at Arkansas. Although the kid had problems fitting the system here, he is now the leading scorer for the Blazers in almost every game. When he left, I thought it was for the best but looking back perhaps he would have matured had he stayed. It appears he has done so in Birmingham. _

Mike, my opinion would differ on Millsap at that time. While he had enormous potential, you stated it yourself that he was immature during his time here. Also, part of that immaturity was his play out of control, especially in the open court when trying to finish. He turned the ball over so much drawing senseless charging fouls, errant passing and bad ball handling to go with poor shot selection that I find that he didn't finish very well at all. At times, he was a major liability. Sure, I look back and would love to see what he could have become here but at the time, I was not sad to see him gone like you. Also, that year that we speak of when this team won the West, that was Millsap's worst year and Dees had actually left the team for a brief moment to come back and accept a much more diminished role. It was this group that brought us to that championship, not those two players.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post

In regards to practice, you are exactly right. However, the players are the one's who practice. If there is no effort and focus in practice, how can they do it perfectly. When I played, there were just days where we were unfocused and our energy was zapped, there was nothing our coach could do about it so we had to know when to restructure. I sometimes think that people put too much blame and too much praise on the coach. _
    I am getting confused by your arguments. You say we have great talent, but then say we have lazy players who do not defend, no rebounders, and no toughness or discipline. You cannot have talent and be deficient in so many areas.

_ Mike, my opinion would differ on Millsap at that time. While he had enormous potential, you stated it yourself that he was immature during his time here. Also, part of that immaturity was his play out of control, especially in the open court when trying to finish. He turned the ball over so much drawing senseless charging fouls, errant passing and bad ball handling to go with poor shot selection that I find that he didn't finish very well at all. At times, he was a major liability. Sure, I look back and would love to see what he could have become here but at the time, I was not sad to see him gone like you. Also, that year that we speak of when this team won the West, that was Millsap's worst year and Dees had actually left the team for a brief moment to come back and accept a much more diminished role. It was this group that brought us to that championship, not those two players. _
    We now know that immaturity was a two way street. "The General" is not much more mature than his players.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ I am getting confused by your arguments. You say we have great talent, but then say we have lazy players who do not defend, no rebounders, and no toughness or discipline. You cannot have talent and be deficient in so many areas. _

There really should be no confusion. Talent has NOTHING to do with how hard a player plays or with how much discipline and toughness they exude. How many players can you point to in the NBA or NFL where they are labeled as tremendously talented players only to be busts? Cedric Benson, Ricky Williams, Reggie Bush come to mind but there are hundeds of others. These people are looked at as being ultra talented thus containing the physical tools to become great players. However, things that are not always as apparent are character, toughness and work ethic. These are important components to becoming an all around player.

While guys like Bureau and Gradnigo are talented they do not defend or rebound with great effort. What if they committed themselves to becoming better defenders and all around players? Bureau and Gradnigo would be a nightmare as they could guard much smaller players be a matchup nightmare. When you recruit someone, I imagine that you are looking more into the player that you hope that they can become in 3-4 years rather than the player that they are now.To me, that's looking at talent.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ We now know that immaturity was a two way street. "The General" is not much more mature than his players. _

I do not know how immature Lee was during his time with Millsap. I doubt many really do. I only know that Millsap was a problem in the lockerroom and did not react well to a reduced role even though he was playing terrible. I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree with how Lee handled the situation but its easy to say, now, that Lee was more at fault than Millsap because he's now playing at a higher level and Lee has fallen to alltime lows here.

_ Mike, we have great shooters. You mention shooting percentage. There is a big difference between hitting open shots due to good ball rotation or dribble penetration and getting the kickout for a good shot and having to jack up outside shots with a man in your face and the shot clock winding down due to no ball movement and a lack of execution of any type of offense. We've seen this for several years now. It's not new. Also, we know these guys can shoot. Shooting, in itself, is fickle sometimes and there are just stretches that you will go through where you lose confidence and your stroke and it sometimes takes a while to get it back. I think getting a better, more disciplined offense installed and executed would create more open looks with guys more likely to knock them down. Bureau is a streaky, but talented shooter who seems to have lost a lot of confidence.

Do you really think that the players we have are not quick enough to defend the perimeter or they just haven't sold out enough on defense? I tend to think the latter is more true. I believe these guys have more than adequate quickness and I also think that we don't play the passing lanes as hard as we should. When we do play the passing lanes, we get way too many backdoors and the rotating defense is often late or not even in the area which creates all of the easy baskets you spoke of. I think that lack of defensive discipline and effort are to blame, not necessarily a lack of athleticism or talent.

I wouldn't believe that a team like Duke is necessarily quicker than the Cajuns. However, they play much better defense and that is an attitude that is installed from their coach to the players. If they are beat by their man, they know they have help defense rotating to stop the penetration. Sometimes it only takes fundamental basketball to succeed.

There are lots of teams that have accomplished their season goals with a lack of inside presence. I don't think that we need to have a big offensive presence, albeit it would be nice, but we just have to have post guys who have a role and understand it. Batiste should not be anywhere near the block trying to receive the ball. He should be setting picks and anticipating rebounds before a shot goes up. Villanova runs a 3 guard offense with little scoring production from their frontcourt but they have a role and they play well with it. Villanova succeeds quite nicely in the Big East, a conference known for its physical inside play. Having it is a luxury, not a necessity.

Again, nobody was stating that we were going to see the next coming of Andrew Toney and Bo Lamar, he simply noted that if they were to get a quality head coach, this team could be picked to win the West next year. We did it 3 years ago with the core of this current team. _
    We have good athletes, but we have bad basketball players!

_ There really should be no confusion. Talent has NOTHING to do with how hard a player plays or with how much discipline and toughness they exude. How many players can you point to in the NBA or NFL where they are labeled as tremendously talented players only to be busts? Cedric Benson, Ricky Williams, Reggie Bush come to mind but there are hundeds of others. These people are looked at as being ultra talented thus containing the physical tools to become great players. However, things that are not always as apparent are character, toughness and work ethic. These are important components to becoming an all around player.

While guys like Bureau and Gradnigo are talented they do not defend or rebound with great effort. What if they committed themselves to becoming better defenders and all around players? Bureau and Gradnigo would be a nightmare as they could guard much smaller players be a matchup nightmare. When you recruit someone, I imagine that you are looking more into the player that you hope that they can become in 3-4 years rather than the player that they are now.To me, that's looking at talent. _
    Are you really going to compare Heisman Trophy winners to our two guys? The three you mentioned may have been over hyped, but they are far from bust. I bet they work harder in one week than our two guys work all year. They are also sucessful at the top of their profession. Even if Bureau and Gradnigo commited themselves to basketball, they would be European players at best. I am not even sure Bureau is a starting caliber guard. Once people realized you have to put a body on him he has been a non-factor. Fact is he is not strong enough to play consistently and is nothing more than a bench player.

I am not saying all are players are garbage, I just think it is one of the weaker talent pools I have seen at UL over the past 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ Perhaps some of those issues were why Robert Lee closed practice at the end of the spring and again this season. But hey, some people in the media just blew that out of proportion, right? _
    Many coaches have closed practices and had fits of temper which lead them to do something they shouldn't. I don't know why Coach Lee doing the same is seen as something special. In fact, kicking over a chair on the way out is fairly tame compared to some of the wild stuff I have seen public figures/coaches do.

Never said it was "special." But it certainly is/was newsworthy, especially when it was a random change to previous policy.

igeaux.mobi

12. Default

And how would those issues have been resolved by allowing the media in?
    You're being watched and someone is taking notes. You are in effect being scouted.

Perform!
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ Talent on the team is overrated in my view. Biggest problem is lack of ability to finish plays inside. _
    I agree. We are not strong inside. Watching our "rebounding", we play volleyball. Tap it around. No one seems able to grab rebounds. Limited ability when driving to basket to finish. Many missed shots. TOs terrible. Weak passes. Kids seem like really great kids. Wish they could play nastier on the court.

Zepher I can agree with some of your post but again this is where coaching and knowing your players come to the for front. In the Tyren Johnson situation he played 39 minutes and struggled for 35 of them. He may or may not be a player who can "play through the bad times" I have watched him play and noticed when he is on you can let him go through a few turnovers or a bad shot but when he is having a bad night he struggles righting himself. He also beats himself up for his bad nights. It was just an opinion.

I will also say that Grandigo could be a good defender but not of a smaller guard. He would have to guard a comperable speed guy or get in foul trouble. Bureau I am still out on. He likes to block shots and can jump. He is not quick enough to guard anything under 6'4. At his height there is no excuse for not having at least 5-8 rebounds a game.

As of yet few have showed me what the term "block out", "find your man" or "crash the boards" mean. Now I will say this also we loose the rebound battle on the offenseive boards in my opinion again because we take too many ill advised shots were we do not even have a person in the area to rebound.

So ideas I have for the players:

1. Anything more than 1 on 1 fastbreak- DO NOT SHOOT THE BALL - Especially not from 18 feet. We tend to think 1 on 3 shooting a "3" is a good odds. Lets try to figure why we dont get many offensive boards. Just bring it out and lets run something

2. From that point - LETS RUN SOMETHING - There really is nothing wrong with passing the ball, cutting and basically moving on offense to get the easy "high percentage shot". T

3. PRESSURE- PRESSURE- and PRESSURE some more. Lets get turnovers and make less.

4. Oh and please let's learn how to make entry passes to the big men when they do work hard to post up.

5. . Regardless what the coaching situation is or will be you all have to be a TEAM. All of you have the ability and knowledge to play this game USE IT!

Just some old ball coach thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by playincajun View Post
    _ Zepher I can agree with some of your post but again this is where coaching and knowing your players come to the for front. In the Tyren Johnson situation he played 39 minutes and struggled for 35 of them. He may or may not be a player who can "play through the bad times" I have watched him play and noticed when he is on you can let him go through a few turnovers or a bad shot but when he is having a bad night he struggles righting himself. He also beats himself up for his bad nights. It was just an opinion.

I will also say that Grandigo could be a good defender but not of a smaller guard. He would have to guard a comperable speed guy or get in foul trouble. Bureau I am still out on. He likes to block shots and can jump. He is not quick enough to guard anything under 6'4. At his height there is no excuse for not having at least 5-8 rebounds a game.

As of yet few have showed me what the term "block out", "find your man" or "crash the boards" mean. Now I will say this also we loose the rebound battle on the offenseive boards in my opinion again because we take too many ill advised shots were we do not even have a person in the area to rebound.

So ideas I have for the players:

1. Anything more than 1 on 1 fastbreak- DO NOT SHOOT THE BALL - Especially not from 18 feet. We tend to think 1 on 3 shooting a "3" is a good odds. Lets try to figure why we dont get many offensive boards. Just bring it out and lets run something

2. From that point - LETS RUN SOMETHING - There really is nothing wrong with passing the ball, cutting and basically moving on offense to get the easy "high percentage shot". T

3. PRESSURE- PRESSURE- and PRESSURE some more. Lets get turnovers and make less.

4. Oh and please let's learn how to make entry passes to the big men when they do work hard to post up.

5. . Regardless what the coaching situation is or will be you all have to be a TEAM. All of you have the ability and knowledge to play this game USE IT!

Just some old ball coach thoughts. _

First, I agree. ButTyren Johnson is your leader, your overall best player who provides the greatest amount of energy for your team and there is currently nobody on the bench that can either match or replace what he gives you. At this point, he needs to be on the court. If I coach this team and we lose because our best player had a bad game, I'll take the heat. I would rather go down with my best players not playing as well as they can rather than them riding the pine and losing with lesser players unless those players are not hustling and showing the right leadership.

Does Bureau not have the quickness to guard a SG or is he too lazy to play hard D and stay in front of his man. I don't think John Scheyer at Duke is very quick also but he guards the PG and SG on every team they play against. You don't have to necessarily be the most physically gifted to play good D, you have to be smart and have the mentality and we don't have that.

Gradnigo plays the SF primarily and I think he can stay with any SF in our conference for sure. If he can't he doesn't deserve to be on the court. Again, defense is a mentality more than it is a skill.

I appreciate your input as its fun to debate with someone with knowledge of the program and the game.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information