Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Joe Scott for head Basketball Coach

Default Joe Scott for head Basketball Coach

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Look at Denver with Joe Scott.

Me likey some Joe Scott.

It is an absolute joy to watch his brand of basketball.

2. Default Re: Anybody notice

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ Me likey some Joe Scott.

It is an absolute joy to watch his brand of basketball. _
    Would love to have him in Lafayette.

Default Re: Anybody notice

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    Would love to have him in Lafayette.
    Ditto.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle.elt/denver.htm

<< The Pioneers continue to make strides under third-year coach Joe Scott. The Pete Carill pupil and protege has improved the Poineer win total in each of his first two seasons. Denver even earned and won a Sun Belt Conference tournament home game for the first time.

Denver has never made an NCAA Tournament appearance, but that's clearly the goal in 2009-10 with every starter returning as well as a deep and experienced bench.

Scott has stressed defense throughout his career.

His teams at Air Force were the best in the nation in scoring defense during his four years at Colorado Springs and his 2006-07 Princeton squad also led the nation in the category. Under Scott, the Pioneers have recorded two straight seasons of top 25 finishes in scoring defense.>>

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ Would love to have him in Lafayette. _

I don't know what this team would or could do with a coach who preaches fundamentals and runs offenses and defenses that require discipline. I don't know if there has been a time that I could label a Cajun team as "fundamental" but I'd sure like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ I don't know what this team would or could do with a coach who preaches fundamentals and runs offenses and defenses that require discipline. I don't know if there has been a time that I could label a Cajun team as "fundamental" but I'd sure like to see it. _
    Here, here. I am sick and tired of watching "street ball". From what I have heard, the next coach will be Butch Pierre. I personally don't think this would be a good hire. Nothing personal against Mr. Pierre, as I know he is an excellent recruiter, but you have to ask yourself why hasn't he had a head coaching position yet?

Default Re: Joe Scott for head Basketball Coach

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ Me likey some Joe Scott.

It is an absolute joy to watch his brand of basketball. _
    I like Joe Scott as well. But I also think that it is important to hire guys who fir the attitude of the school.

I always think there are system schools, and schools that can go out and get the best players. The best players like to play in a system that is a little more up and down, but have some structure.

Carolina, Kentucky, Louisville. At our level, even Western Kentucky.

Then at certain places you need to be a system school. Denver obviously has some recruiting disadvantages considering their academic requirements.

Nicholls is a good example of a system school. Air Force, Northwestern (IL), Richmond all have disciplines systesm.

I think UL can be one of the best schools year in and year out. The problem is getting great players does not mean that you don't need to have a system. Villanova is a great example of guys that play up tempo, but still ahve a phenomenal system.

If we have a coach who can recruit the same type of talent and put them in an effective system, things will be fine. We do not need to swing the pendulum from now, to a Princeton system that may actually kill the recruitment of the top athletes we are currently getting.

I'd expect Mr. Scott to stay at Denver until another D1 school in that region in a bigger conference has an opening. Colorado comes to mind.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    I'd expect Mr. Scott to stay at Denver until another D1 school in that region in a bigger conference has an opening. Colorado comes to mind.

igeaux.mobi
    Hey Josh (or anyone else who knows), i know this is a different topic but do you know if Xavier Blackburn is being recruited by anyone?? Its seems that for the past 2 years, every time i check the box scores in the paper he has 20+ points . Just curious, thanks.

I spoke with Xavier and coach Broussard at length about that topic following Tuesday's championship game in the Sunkist Shootout.

According to Xavier and coach Broussard, he holds offers from every in-state school but LSU, UL and McNeese State. ULM and UNO were the first two schools Xavier mentioned. Stephen F. Austin and Murray State have also offered, from what he could remember. He is focusing on his senior season right now and will look at recruiting more in the spring when he gets a chance to visit some of those previously mentioned schools.

In STM's system, Xavier doesn't get much of a chance to shoot from the outside or work on the perimeter. Most of his shots are close to the basket. He will have to adjust to play on the perimeter at the next level at 6-3/6-4, but I believe he has the skills to play for a mid-major. SFA and Murray are among the top teams in the Southland and OVC and will likely advance to the NCAA Tournament this season.

Coach Broussard compared him to former STM star Brandon Mouton as a guy who does everything he is asked without complaint and yet is being under recruited. (He added that Mouton was seriously recruited by only Texas, Purdue and UL before going to have a solid career with the Longhorns.)

Just read your article. Nevermind.

_ I spoke with Xavier and coach Broussard at length about that topic following Tuesday's championship game in the Sunkist Shootout.

According to Xavier and coach Broussard, he holds offers from every in-state school but LSU, UL and McNeese State. ULM and UNO were the first two schools Xavier mentioned. Stephen F. Austin and Murray State have also offered, from what he could remember. He is focusing on his senior season right now and will look at recruiting more in the spring when he gets a chance to visit some of those previously mentioned schools.

In STM's system, Xavier doesn't get much of a chance to shoot from the outside or work on the perimeter. Most of his shots are close to the basket. He will have to adjust to play on the perimeter at the next level at 6-3/6-4, but I believe he has the skills to play for a mid-major. SFA and Murray are among the top teams in the Southland and OVC and will likely advance to the NCAA Tournament this season.

Coach Broussard compared him to former STM star Brandon Mouton as a guy who does everything he is asked without complaint and yet is being under recruited. (He added that Mouton was seriously recruited by only Texas, Purdue and UL before going to have a solid career with the Longhorns.) _
    Josh -

I think Xavier is a really good player. He is nowhere near Brandon Mouton. But you are right I think in the right system he could be a very good player. He is not incredibly athletic nor do I think he shoots it very well. However, he has a great feel for the game, and obviously he is coming from a well coached program.

He is actually almost opposite of Ross Mouton. I think Ross had a really high ceiling coming out of high school, where Xavier is a little more ready out of the gates if that makes sense.

Also, how the hell is UNO still recruiting kids.?

_ Also, how the hell is UNO still recruiting kids.? _
    Offers from UNO were likely made before the recent decision.

Josh -

I think Xavier is a really good player. He is nowhere near Brandon Mouton. But you are right I think in the right system he could be a very good player. He is not incredibly athletic nor do I think he shoots it very well. However, he has a great feel for the game, and obviously he is coming from a well coached program.

He is actually almost opposite of Ross Mouton. I think Ross had a really high ceiling coming out of high school, where Xavier is a little more ready out of the gates if that makes sense.
    My apologies for the confusion. I don't believe that coach Broussard was saying that Xavier and Brandon were the same player or that Xavier was better. I believe the point he was trying to make was that both do a lot of things without complaining about it and were under-recruited.

Despite dropping down to D3, UNO will still play men's basketball.

_ My apologies for the confusion. I don't believe that coach Broussard was saying that Xavier and Brandon were the same player or that Xavier was better. I believe the point he was trying to make was that both do a lot of things without complaining about it and were under-recruited.

Despite dropping down to D3, UNO will still play men's basketball. _
    No, I knew what you were saying, I was just trying to clarify to the board, so they didn't think that UL was not recruiting the next Brandon Mouton

OK, so I guess they are recruiting him as a D3 player, and he would pay his own way???

I haven't been out to watch high school basketball in awhile. Is the jr. point guard from Northside the best area prospect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information