Thread: 'Consistency' the Missing Link for UL Football in 2009

1. UL Football 'Consistency' the Missing Link for UL Football in 2009

As coach Rickey Bustle looked back on UL's football season, one thing stood out more than any other.

A lack of consistency. From play to play, quarter to quarter, half to half.

The final result was the program's fourth six-win season in five years, yet no postseason after the Ragin' Cajuns were unable to win that elusive seventh game.

"That was the biggest thing of the season, our consistency," said Bustle, who recently agreed to a one-year extension through the 2011 season. "You've got to be able to win the games you're supposed to win because in this conference you only have one (guaranteed) bowl bid. There are no other (bowl) guarantees.

"We've just got to keep striving to do better."

With that said, let's take a look back at some of the highlights from the 2009 season:

MVP Offense

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott
    jparrott@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: The Missing Link for UL Football 2009 'Consistency'

That would be coaching consistency

This is so COOL Re: The Missing Link for UL Football 2009 'Consistency'

Kansas State should have been the "Biggest Non-Conference Blow out"

Not real sure on the Ladarius Green pick for offensive MVP as I would probably put that on Masson or even Marlin Miller. Green missed 3 games and was unused in several others at the beginning of the season and he struggled with drops although I do agree with his big play ability and match up benefits.

I can't believe they're going to move a talented back like Yobes to FB. In our offense, we rarely use the FB and that is a disservice to a guy that can certainly help add depth and should have been used in other ways rather than just that stupid dive option. What a waste and IMO, a bad decision.

I looked at it this way: Consider how good the Cajun offense was with and without Green. Quite a difference.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ I looked at it this way: Consider how good the Cajun offense was with and without Green. Quite a difference.

igeaux.mobi _

There's no debating that this is a better offense but there were several games, even when he was healthy, that we didn't even look his way as he gave way to Aubrey. If they continue to use him, he could be a conference MVP but he was at times lost in the shuffle of our balanced attack which is why I mentioned that I thought Masson would likely get my vote.

BTW, any word on why they are moving Yobes to FB? I know they like Rob Walker and Streeter a lot but it seems to me that he has too much talent and upside to just move to FB where we rarely utilize this position. Are they talking about using the triple option again?

Default Re: 'Consistency' the Missing Link for UL Football in 2009

The word I got on Yobes was straight from Bustle. With McCullough gone, he would fight for time with Desormeaux. I think Yobes is more solid as a change-of-pace guy as a mix with a speed threat. He was strong against WKU and FAU but was not near as productive as the season concluded. I'm interested to see his development in the spring.

Robert Walker and Kevis Streeter will need to carry the load at RB, unless Booker and Shankle surprise the coaches in spring drills. If you remember, Dupre took their reps in the final four or so games.

igeaux.mobi

_ The word I got on Yobes was straight from Bustle. With McCullough gone, he would fight for time with Desormeaux. I think Yobes is more solid as a change-of-pace guy as a mix with a speed threat. He was strong against WKU and FAU but was not near as productive as the season concluded. I'm interested to see his development in the spring.

Robert Walker and Kevis Streeter will need to carry the load at RB, unless Booker and Shankle surprise the coaches in spring drills. If you remember, Dupre took their reps in the final four or so games.

igeaux.mobi _

Yeah, Booker and Shankle both have not impressed. I just remember watching Yobes' highlights and seeing him run for all those yards and records and he didn't run through one gap like he does here. He hit it outside, through various formations and they allowed him to use his talents to make plays. Here, he has run through the A or B gap the entire time while running that dumb zone read. To me, they haven't really given him a chance to succeed. I just think that he's more versatile than we've seen and he's certainly better than Booker, Shankle and all others at the position. Also, we haven't seen Robert Walker or Streeter play a game in D-1 yet and we don't know how they will adapt and receive the offense. It just seems premature to move him at FB where he will have to , at best, split time with Desormeaux.

The good news is that Robert Walker and Kevis Streeter will be on campus in a few weeks and will participate in spring drills.

igeaux.mobi

_ The good news is that Robert Walker and Kevis Streeter will be on campus in a few weeks and will participate in spring drills.

igeaux.mobi _

Yeah, we should certainly get a good feel for whether they are ready to go. This gives them a lot of time to learn the offense and get acclimated.

Thread Information