Louisiana IceGators owner, Danny Smith announced today that Dave MacIsaac will be hired to be Head Coach and Director of Hockey.

MacIsaac spent the majority of his playing career in the American Hockey League, where he quickly became known for his steady defensive play and toughness when the time called. He spent last year coaching in Danbury of the Eastern Professional League, sporting a 62% winning percentage.

“The best way to describe Dave is as a stickler for discipline and accountability, “ says IceGators owner, Danny Smith. “As a player, he was a smart stay at home defenseman, but was always willing and successful when it came time to make a physical statement. I think his influence on this group of young players will pay immediate dividends. Our team has lacked discipline at times. Dave commands respect both because of his career and his imposing figure. I think old IceGators fans will compare him to Doug Shedden. In my opinion, that’s not a bad thing,” says Smith. Smith cited philosophical differences with regards to player personnel as to why IceGators and John Gibson have parted ways.

MacIsaac will step behind the bench beginning tomorrow as the Louisiana IceGators take on the Pensacola Ice Flyers. Tomorrow, everyone is asked to bring a stuffed animal to toss on the ice after the IceGators make their first goal. The stuffed animals will be donated to children in need this holiday season. The game starts at 7:05 in Blackham Coliseum.

IceGator Press