Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Back In Blackham: Cajuns To Host CIT Quarterfinals

1. Default Back In Blackham: Cajuns To Host CIT Quarterfinals

After road wins in the first two rounds of the CIT, the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns will play host to the tournament quarterfinals when it opens the doors to Blackham Coliseum for the first time since 2006 on Thursday, March 26.

Game time is set for 7:00 p.m. against an opponent to be determined following the playing of the remainder of the second-round games on Monday night.

"We are really excited to have the opportunity to play at Blackham Coliseum," Louisiana head coach Bob Marlin said. "It's something we have wanted to do for a long time. We have heard a lot about what the home court advantage can be like there and hopefully we have a great crowd there to cheer on our guys."

Tickets will go on sale on Tuesday and can be purchased online at RaginCajuns.com, at the Cajundome Box Office - which is open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday - or on the phone at (337) 265-2100.

All tickets will be general admission with students at $7 and general public at $15 apiece. A student section will be designated in the coliseum, however all other general admission seating is first come, first served.

Fans who hold courtside seat tickets at the Cajundome will be able to purchase the same location at Blackham Coliseum for $25.

Marlin's team advanced to the CIT quarterfinals with road wins over Incarnate Word and Sam Houston State last week, and will host a CIT game for the second time. UL also hosted Rice in the CIT first round in 2012.

Blackham Coliseum was home to the Ragin' Cajuns men's basketball team from 1950 to 1985 when the team relocated to the Cajundome as its primary residence. The team played four games in Blackham during the 2005-06 season when the Cajundome was being used as an evacuee refuge following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

It would be the first-ever trip to Lafayette for either Eastern Illinois or Evansville. The Cajuns have never faced off against EIU in program history, and are 0-2 against Evansville with the last meeting coming in 1971.

Fans are encouraged to check RaginCajuns.com or @ULRaginCajuns on Twitter for updates regarding the game.

#GeauxCajuns

Default Re: Back In Blackham: Cajuns To Host CIT Quarterfinals

OK, I would say pic is about 1984. I may be off a year or so. Drexal Allen in the background. Is that Donald Jacobs on the dunk?

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    OK, I would say pic is about 1984. I may be off a year or so. Drexal Allen in the background. Is that Donald Jacobs on the dunk?

Jan 1985. Donald Jacobs on the dunk. Allen in the background. Raphael Phillip and Randal Smith in the paint.

They played Fresno in 81 and 84 in Blackham so it was one of those year. I copied the following from the RCAN website.

Abram, Demetrius
    Allen, Drexal
    Allen, Alonza
    Almones, George
    Banks, Warren
    Blue, Marcell
    Broussard, Cory
    Brown, Dion
    Coffell, William
    Collins, Johnny
    Gray, Dan
    Higgins, Brendan
    Hill, Cedric
    Hodge, Michael
    Jacobs, Donald
    Jolivette, Brian
    McNeil, Rodney
    Nix, Bruce
    Peoples, Calvin
    Phillip, Raphael
    Smith, Randal
    Turner, Dale
    Warner, Graylin

Allen, Alonza
    Bland, Willie
    Brown, Dion
    Collins, Johnny
    Collins, Johnny
    Conner, Alvin
    Crooks, Richard
    Dorsey, Andrew
    Figaro, Kevin
    Gay, Dan
    Gray, Dan
    Hodge, Michael
    Jones, Steve
    Jordan, Carl
    Julien, Wayne
    McGrew, Roy
    Monroe, Craig
    Peoples, Calvin
    Perret, John
    Rainey, Dion
    Robinson, Tommy
    Thomas, Robert
    Turner, Alford
    Warner, Graylin

So I was looking up old games in Blackham to get in the mood and found this gem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wFxgxpZgiU

Donald Jacobs could jump!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuneer View Post
    So I was looking up old games in Blackham to get in the mood and found this gem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wFxgxpZgiU
    That was a great game. I remember it well.

BTW, Louie Cook & Tom Brown.
    Last edited by BeauCajun; March 23rd, 2015 at 08:04 pm. Reason: Cook

8. Default Re: Back In Blackham: Cajuns To Host CIT Quarterfinals

That was a great game. I remember it well.

BTW, Louie Cook & Tom Brown.
    ---------Former Cajun LB Jimmy Edney is responsible for a pretty long 3 seconds----We teased him a bit about the time lapse as he was the clock operator!!!

The place was packed!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---------Former Cajun LB Jimmy Edney is responsible for a pretty long 3 seconds----We teased him a bit about the time lapse as he was the clock operator!!!
    I could be mistaken but even with the long 3 seconds it looks as if he still didn't get the shot off in time

I think the clock started on time. Hard to tell on the shot because the video is so bad. Hard to tell if the ball is gone or if that is someone's head in the background.

That was the slowest 3 seconds of my life. But I'll take it.

I tend to forget how much the game has changed in those 30 years. No shot clock. No 3 point line. Makes more of an impact late in close games.

I tend to forget how much the game has changed in those 30 years. No shot clock. No 3 point line. Makes more of an impact late in close games.
    I know this would never happen, but I think it would be a very interesting experiment to have a "throw back" game played between two current day teams. No shot clock, no three point shot, no dunking, no media timeouts, etc. I bet many of today's players would play like a fish out of water. Kids today only practice dunks and three point shots. The intermediate jumper is virtually a thing of the past. I think I would pay to see a real game played under yesterdays rules.

No dunking was only from 1967-1976, it is not the norm of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    No dunking was only from 1967-1976, it is not the norm of the past.
    I was referring to the time period of USL's Glory Years of the late 60's and early 70's. But your comments are well noted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information