Thread: Lady Cajuns Cruise Past Centenary, 77-50

1. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns Cruise Past Centenary, 77-50

Jasmine Barnes was one of four players to reach 11 points in the win over Centenary.

Four Cajuns posted 11 points as Louisiana cruised to a 77-50 win over Centenary on Monday at Earl K. Long Gym.

The balanced scoring attack was also helped by a Cajuns' defense that caused Centenary to commit 31 turnovers and garnered 13 steals. UL took advantage of the Ladies' mistakes, scoring 31 points off the turnovers.

The Cajuns now sit at 4-8 overall on the year. With the win, UL eclipsed their total wins from last season in just 12 games. Centenary falls to 1-11 this season with the loss.

Centenary was able to hang around at the start of the game, tying the score 12-12 with 11:41 remaining. But the Cajuns would go on a 27-7 run to closeout the half, leading 39-19.

During the first half, UL forced the Ladies into 19 turnovers and recorded seven steals. The Cajuns scored 20 of their 39 first-half points off of Centenary's miscues. Nine different Cajuns recorded a basket in the first frame, including a jumper by freshman Brandi Schambough as time expired.

In the second half, Cajuns built their lead to 29 points, 61-32, at the 9:31 mark and Centenary would never threaten the remainder of the half.

Mercedes Johnson, Jasmine Barnes, Josie West and Alexis Green led UL with 11 points each. Of the 15 players that saw time on the court for the Cajuns, 12 recorded at least two points.

Michelle Brunker was the top rebounder with five boards.

The Cajuns will take a break for the holidays before hitting the road for two Sun Belt contests. On Dec. 31 UL will travel to Bowling Green, Ky. to battle Western Kentucky before heading to Murfreesboro, Tenn. to take on Middle Tennessee on Jan. 3.

UL SI

Default Re: Lady Cajuns Cruise Past Centenary, 77-50

Glad to see the girls get another win against a team they should beat. Too bad they let about six others get away so far this season - especially Southern, Southeastern, and FAU at home.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Lady Cajuns Cruise Past Centenary, 77-50

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBaller View Post
    _ Glad to see the girls get another win against a team they should beat. Too bad they let about six others get away so far this season - especially Southern, Southeastern, and FAU at home. _
    As long as Rogers is coaching, they will NEVER beat a team with equal or better talent, and darn few with lesser talent. The guy just flat can't coach.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ As long as Rogers is coaching, they will NEVER beat a team with equal or better talent, and darn few with lesser talent. The guy just flat can't coach. _
    Well said!!!

Haven't they already won more games this year than last? At least commend the improvement. I attended their first practice last year and was so disappointed with the off season conditioning that I never returned. From my viewpoint, they've improved tremendously over the last 12 months.

Louisiana Campus Re: Lady Cajuns Cruise Past Centenary, 77-50

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ Haven't they already won more games this year than last? At least commend the improvement. I attended their first practice last year and was so disappointed with the off season conditioning that I never returned. From my viewpoint, they've improved tremendously over the last 12 months. _

Agreed. Progress has been made. The team plays very hard and wants to win. Play execution has been shaky, though. There is a little too much one-on-one and crisper passing off of picks is needed. While I do agree better coaching could solve a lot of this (there is talent on the team), not having players with the special skills of Petrakova and Blanche among others has to be noted. It helps. Of course, Coach Hall brought out the best in every one he coached.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Lady Cajuns Cruise Past Centenary, 77-50

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ Haven't they already won more games this year than last? At least commend the improvement. I attended their first practice last year and was so disappointed with the off season conditioning that I never returned. From my viewpoint, they've improved tremendously over the last 12 months. _
    Yes, they have won more games than all of last year. The RPI of the BEST team the Cajuns have beat this year [Houston Baptist] is 303 [out of 345]. The other wins were RPI #'s 325, 332 and 345. I don't know that that constitutes improvement. Our RPI is 337

Thread Information