Thread: Steve Shields Fired at UALR

Default Steve Shields Fired at UALR

HoopDirt.com has learned that Steve Shields has been relieved of his duties this afternoon at Arkansas Little Rock. Shields has spent the past 12 seasons at the school. His squad finished 13-18 this past season. We expect the official announcement from UALR shortly.

http://www.hoopdirt.com/blog/b8fa93a.s-little-rock/

2. Default Re: Steve Shields Fired at UALR

This is one of Marlins good friends and a pretty good coach. I wonder where he ends up

Default Re: Steve Shields Fired at UALR

Coach Shields is probably Coach Marlin's best friend in the coaching ranks. I would not be surprised if he ends up as a top assistant on the staff of a respected program.

Shields worked under Marlin during the 1993-94 season at Pensacola Junior College (the team went 21-9 that year after winning the 1993 NJCAA national title). He did more with less at UALR than the majority of mid-major coaches in the country. While Shields was fiery on the court, he always treated me well & respected those of us in the media. He's a quality coach who knows the game and should coach again in college. The Sun Belt lost a class act person and coach. He is a Baylor grad (was an all-conference golfer there for his dad) and previously coached at several junior colleges in Texas. I agree with Mike, that Shields will be an assistant coach somewhere if he's not hired to be a head coach first.

5. Default Re: Steve Shields Fired at UALR

That was not the Arkansas-based Sunbelt MBB coach I expected to get axed

6. Default Re: Steve Shields Fired at UALR

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    ---Funny and true!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    He did more with less at UALR than the majority of mid-major coaches in the country.
    I was thinking the same thing. Can't imagine UALR getting more out of someone else without more resources to back him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    They can't afford to eat the contract of the other one, per their fans.

Thread Information