Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13

Thread: 2010 schedule

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: 2010 schedule

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ You say Waters is worthless. then in your next breath say that no one could do better. Which is it?

And on the second point, you imply that all UL has to do is "want" to be in some other conference and it will then happen. If it was only that simple. _
    I said worthless to the SBC. My point was simply that I think the SBC is destined to be exactly what it is today and nothing more. I believe UL has the potential to grow its athletic program but that it will be hard to do as a member of the SBC. I

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    _ You guys crack me up. We suck at everything until spring comes, we get 16k for a big 12 opponent, we hadn't been to a bowl game since the civil war, and you want us to position ourselves for a better conference? Can we go 7-5 in the one we're in first, before we worry about getting our teeth kicked in someplace else?

igeaux.mobi _
    Touche. Maybe I've got the cart in front of the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    Just some things to consider: Non-conference schedules are usually put togethers years in advance. Georgia ($875K) and Ole Miss ($700K) are the money games. Ohio is a return trip from 2007. The Cajuns will return the trip to Oklahoma State in 2011 and receive a $500K payout to play in Stillwater again in 2012.

The Cajuns will definitely be underdogs in those non-conference games, but those are winnable games.

Georgia will have a new QB (the Cajuns will return seven defensive starters from an improved unit in 2009 but must have a better pass rush and allow fewer big plays). Its defenses couldn't stop people all season and will be in transition with a new defensive coordinator. That's a good thing for a Cajun offense that should be much-improved with Masson and most of the top receiving threats back and the addition of RB Robert Walker.

Ole Miss will lose three starters up front, including All-SEC OL John Jerry. WR/RB Dexter McCluster, WR Shay Hodge and TE Gerald Harris are gone. QB Jevan Snead might leave for the NFL, with no returning QB with any college experience. The defense loses six starters, including potential All-America DE Greg Hardy and three of four starters in the secondary.

OSU will lose QB Zac Robinson and WR Dez Bryant as well as projected first-rounder All-America OT Russell Okung and three other starters up front. Plus RB Kendall Hunter might leave early for the NFL, and the defense loses eight senior starters, including All-America CB Perrin Cox.

Ohio overachived with a veteran team in 2009 but will lose QB Theo Scott, RB Chris Garrett, WR Taylor Price and two starters on the DL and its top DB in Steven Jackson.

It's a tough schedule, but these are games against less-than-perfect teams from power conferences. The timing would have been much worse to play them in 2009, not 2010.

igeaux.mobi
    So what your sayin is that we do have a chance at 12-0.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    _ Who in his right mind says that the SBC is on par with the MAC, WAC, and C-USA. Two SBC teams are bowling this year. There are at least four teams from each one of these other conferences that are bowling this year. _
    I don't know that those 3 conferences are "on par" with each other, much less how you compare the SBC to them. Bowl tie-ins are the sole reason for the bowling numbers. How good you do or do not play football takes a back seat to the marketability of the conference, as bowls see it.

Besides Waters not being a very good commissioner, there are other reasons for the lack of bowls for the SBC. One, the conference is a new football conference made up of a bunch of former D1AAs (aside from UL), they reside in the south alongside the biggest football conference in the country, CUSA football membership - largely southern - was established ahead of the SBC, the south is not the largest market, the SBC schools themselves have moderate marketing potential, UL - the best program for leading the SBC football marketing bowl arrangement can't find its way to New Orleans, and Troy - the third to fourth best football program in the state of Alabama - dominates the hell out of the SBC.

UL is UL's problem. not the SBC. When UL does the right things with private funding for football, we can question the rest of the affiliations. And if the AD or president say, "we were disappointed at the intitial membership and funding of RCAF". that is exactly like the chef saying, "I think the food in this place tastes like c r a p".

Ragin' Cajuns Re: 2010 schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ So what your sayin is that we do have a chance at 12-0. _
    you forgot to say "phhhhewwww!!" first.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ I don't know that those 3 conferences are "on par" with each other, much less how you compare the SBC to them. Bowl tie-ins are the sole reason for the bowling numbers. How good you do or do not play football takes a back seat to the marketability of the conference, as bowls see it.

Besides Waters not being a very good commissioner, there are other reasons for the lack of bowls for the SBC. One, the conference is a new football conference made up of a bunch of former D1AAs (aside from UL), they reside in the south alongside the biggest football conference in the country, CUSA football membership - largely southern - was established ahead of the SBC, the south is not the largest market, the SBC schools themselves have moderate marketing potential, UL - the best program for leading the SBC football marketing bowl arrangement can't find its way to New Orleans, and Troy - the third to fourth best football program in the state of Alabama - dominates the hell out of the SBC.

UL is UL's problem. not the SBC. When UL does the right things with private funding for football, we can question the rest of the affiliations. And if the AD or president say, "we were disappointed at the intitial membership and funding of RCAF". that is exactly like the chef saying, "I think the food in this place tastes like c r a p". _
    I believe that UL should not sit idly by while other schools actively pursue new options for conference affiliation. If Troy or MTSU (or both), find their way into a conference other than the SBC, what will we have left to build on? Both Troy and MTSU would bolt in a heart beat. I'm just saying that I'd rather be the first one off of a sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    _ That is why fans like us need to get heavily involved with contributing to the RCAF. Once we start getting serious money coming into the RCAF to help support the entire athletic program, the A.D. will be able to start relying less and less on guarantee money from football. _
    i totally agree!!!!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13

Thread Information