Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 2010 schedule

Default Re: 2010 schedule

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ This is the most recent 2010 schedule I have.

9/4: @Georgia
    9/11: @Ohio
    9/18: Open
    9/25: Oklahoma State
    10/2: Western Kentucky
    10/9: @North Texas
    10/16: Arkansas State
    10/23: @Florida Atlantic
    10/30: Florida International
    11/6: @Ole Miss
    11/13: Middle Tennessee
    11/20: @ULM
    11/27: @Troy

We need to be 1-1 with an open date to start the season. A loss to Ok State at home followed by 5 wins going into the Ole Miss game. A loss to Ole Miss and we are 6-3 with 3 games left for that illusive 7th game. Win one of three minimally and we are 7-5 and bowl bound, maybe 8-4 with MT at home. THAT should be the minimum expectation for next year for Bustle and staff. _
    Complete horse hockey.

We HAVE to start the season at home with a winnable opponent. Period. End of story.

Win, first. Then get paid.

To do otherwise is insanity. We should not be looking for win No. 1 in weeks 3-5. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    With the schedule we have, going 6 and 6 will be pretty good. AD and Asst AD cannot continue to put the team in such a hole. 3 money games against strong BCS programs. _
    That is why fans like us need to get heavily involved with contributing to the RCAF. Once we start getting serious money coming into the RCAF to help support the entire athletic program, the A.D. will be able to start relying less and less on guarantee money from football.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    _ Complete horse hockey.

We HAVE to start the season at home with a winnable opponent. Period. End of story.

Win, first. Then get paid.

To do otherwise is insanity. We should not be looking for win No. 1 in weeks 3-5. Ever. _

It would certainly help to play a winnable first game like we did this year, and we can blame our AD for that, but the schedule is what it is. Most people here say the SBC is now on a par with at least the MAC, WAC (except for Boise State) and C-USA. Well, here is Ohio on our schedule who is heavy with seniors this year. It should be a winnable, albeit a toss-up, game. We need to win at least 6, if not 7, SBC games and we are in a bowl. Why is that impossible this year?

Troy lost to Bowling Green, Florida and Arkansas, yet beat UAB and went undefeated in conference for a 9 win season. MT beat Memphis and Maryland plus 7 conference wins for a 9 win season.

Quit complaining about scheduling. It is time for this program to move up after 8 years of rebuilding. We beat K State last year. Let's build on that. We can win 7 games on this schedule and go to a bowl game. After 8 years of rebuilding and several 6-6 seasons, this should minimally be doable. Why do we play 1A football? How do you ever improve the worse conference in the country if you don't play better competition? How do you think S. Miss or E. Carolina or Boise State or TCU got to where they are? Either we are 1A or not. It is time to quit pretending and prove it on the field.

This year 1A OOC schedule:

Troy - Bowling Green, Florida, UAB, Arkansas
    MT - Clemson, Memphis, Maryland, Miss State
    N Texas - Ball State, Ohio, Alabama, Army
    Ark. State - Nebraska, Iowa, Louisville
    FAI - Nebraska, S. Carolina, Wyoming, UAB
    FIU - Alabama, Rutgers, Toledo, Florida
    ULM- Texas, Arizona State, Kentucky
    WKU - Tennessee, S. Florida, Navy
    UL - LSU, Nebraska, K State

_ It would certainly help to play a winnable first game like we did this year, and we can blame our AD for that, but the schedule is what it is. Most people here say the SBC is now on a par with at least the MAC, WAC (except for Boise State) and C-USA. Well, here is Ohio on our schedule who is heavy with seniors this year. It should be a winnable, albeit a toss-up, game. We need to win at least 6, if not 7, SBC games and we are in a bowl. Why is that impossible this year?

Troy lost to Bowling Green, Florida and Arkansas, yet beat UAB and went undefeated in conference for a 9 win season. MT beat Memphis and Maryland plus 7 conference wins for a 9 win season.

Quit complaining about scheduling. It is time for this program to move up after 8 years of rebuilding. We beat K State last year. Let's build on that. We can win 7 games on this schedule and go to a bowl game. After 8 years of rebuilding and several 6-6 seasons, this should minimally be doable. Why do we play 1A football? How do you ever improve the worse conference in the country if you don't play better competition? How do you think S. Miss or E. Carolina or Boise State or TCU got to where they are? Either we are 1A or not. It is time to quit pretending and prove it on the field.

UL - LSU, Nebraska, K State _
    HoustonCajun, you and I are in alignment with the view of the 2010 season. Although the schedule is difficult, I am by no means seeing it as impossible to navigate a winning season out of it.

_ It would certainly help to play a winnable first game like we did this year, and we can blame our AD for that, but the schedule is what it is. Most people here say the SBC is now on a par with at least the MAC, WAC (except for Boise State) and C-USA. Well, here is Ohio on our schedule who is heavy with seniors this year. It should be a winnable, albeit a toss-up, game. We need to win at least 6, if not 7, SBC games and we are in a bowl. Why is that impossible this year?

UL - LSU, Nebraska, K State _

It's not impossible. It's far from it. Some people just choose to stay PO'd longer than others and assume the same mediocrity will creep in next year. It may do that but I'm hopeful that we can get there. The SBC loses a lot of premier players this year and many of the teams at the top lost a lot of lettermen. We will bring back perhaps the most experienced team in the SBC next year and for that I think we can win 6-7 games.

I agree with Cajunsmike & HoustonCajun. Yes, the schedule is not the best but we will have a lot of experience returning and should be one of the favorites to win conference in 10'.

For those of you who wish to keep griping about the schedule, I challenge you and 998 others to put up $1,000 and I will do the same. With $1,000,000 we can afford to give up one of these $ games and get us a winable home game. Until such time, IT IS WHAT IT IS!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    _ I agree with Cajunsmike & HoustonCajun. Yes, the schedule is not the best but we will have a lot of experience returning and should be one of the favorites to win conference in 10'.

For those of you who wish to keep griping about the schedule, I challenge you and 998 others to put up $1,000 and I will do the same. With $1,000,000 we can afford to give up one of these $ games and get us a winable home game. Until such time, IT IS WHAT IT IS! _
    My only gripes about the schedule are this:

1. Don't start the season on the road
    2. Don't start the season with a loss

And if you really want to get techincal,

3. I think we take too long to get into conference play.

THAT'S my gripe with our historic scheduling.

Last year's schedule only violated my rule #3 and it set us up well.

Now, that said. I think we can eek out another 6 win season in 2010, but will that be good enough for some people around here?

And having said that, it's going to be real tough to do it if we start out 0-3. I'm banking on a win against a much weaker Ohio.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

No bowl game for UL next year. Not with this schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ HoustonCajun, you and I are in alignment with the view of the 2010 season. Although the schedule is difficult, I am by no means seeing it as impossible to navigate a winning season out of it. _
    But it will be challenging. Any game against a worthy opponent is tough on the road (Ohio). We can win but losing is also likely. 0-3 against three BCS teams is realistic. Would love to roll in the clover and wish but 0-3 is likely. Then there's Troy. On the road. 7 wins means being 7-0 in rest of Belt. Not too sure we can do that. I think 6-6 would be pretty solid next year. 7-5 would mean we either upset Ohio or, dare I say, Troy away. 8-4 means we beat somebody big. It's tough scheduling money games when we want them. And opening at home with wins.

Glad I'm not a coach. Neat that Southern paid their head coach more than we pay ours. But then, our coach makes less than our president. What kind of football program can you have doing that!!

I would love to see 7 wins and I'll pay my $$ for the parking; and I'll be there. But, I figure I'll suffer again.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun67 View Post
    _ But it will be challenging. Any game against a worthy opponent is tough on the road (Ohio). We can win but losing is also likely. 0-3 against three BCS teams is realistic. Would love to roll in the clover and wish but 0-3 is likely. Then there's Troy. On the road. 7 wins means being 7-0 in rest of Belt. Not too sure we can do that. I think 6-6 would be pretty solid next year. 7-5 would mean we either upset Ohio or, dare I say, Troy away. 8-4 means we beat somebody big. It's tough scheduling money games when we want them. And opening at home with wins.

Glad I'm not a coach. Neat that Southern paid their head coach more than we pay ours. But then, our coach makes less than our president. What kind of football program can you have doing that!!

I would love to see 7 wins and I'll pay my $$ for the parking; and I'll be there. But, I figure I'll suffer again. _
    I think it's the job of the athletics department to present our football coaches with a CHANCE (not a lock, but a chance) to go 2-2 non conference.

This past year, we had that type of schedule. But we failed to have a winning record in conference and that doomed us.

Next year we will play six teams that went to bowls this year. We will be significant underdogs in three of our four OOC games. We will be underdogs in all four games.

I don't believe it's impossible. But there is no question that the task will be considerably tougher next year than it was this year.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    _ I think it's the job of the athletics department to present our football coaches with a CHANCE (not a lock, but a chance) to go 2-2 non conference.

This past year, we had that type of schedule. But we failed to have a winning record in conference and that doomed us.

Next year we will play six teams that went to bowls this year. We will be significant underdogs in three of our four OOC games. We will be underdogs in all four games.

I don't believe it's impossible. But there is no question that the task will be considerably tougher next year than it was this year. _
    I agree. I have agreed with the OOC "2-2" philosophy. balancing the money necessity with providing the coach a chance. Having seen these debates on money games versus a schedule that supposedly "guaranteed" a 7 plus winning season. I have given some thought to a variation on the scheduling arrangement.

First, we have to have the money games (so I don't really want to regress to that argument). It would be great if we scheduled lower tier BCS programs, but I don't think they pay as well. and if it were easy enough and financially rewarding enough to do, we'd be doing it.

One consideration on the OOC scheduling philosophy is the following: Consider scheduling alternating seasons with a 1-3 and 3-1 OOC "winnability factor". You still get the number of money games in, but you have a greater chance of the elusive 7 to 8 win season, every other year. Albeit, you really stick yourself with an every other year rough OOC schedule, but I think materializing a bowl game in there, and the consequential energized fanbase. you might even begin to bend the 3-1 "winnability factor" into a 2-2 in those succeeding years. Just a consideration.

I do agree with you, Jay, that last year we were poised for a 7 plus win season and we simply blew it (FIU being the worst culprit game in the bunch). I was pleasantly surprised that we beat ASU and ULM (by a hair) down the stretch. but the staff blew it at FIU. That had made up my mind regarding this staff. and I believe you have to go with your gut.

I would venture that the OSU game, given decent weather, will be a huge crowd. We are also no worse off facing the conference this year than last. perhaps even better. I don't look at the SBC home and away as much of a factor. UL doesn't add the 12th man in a big way. yet. and I don't think any of our opponents do either.

You are right. tougher than last year in OOC by 1.5 games. definitely not impossible to get 7. but more likely 5. In reality, with the SBC, I think it has less to do with the scheduling than it does whether our balance of player talent materializes at the required positions, our staff uses every second on the clock, and our staff becomes blessed with superior second half coaching abilities.

Just some things to consider: Non-conference schedules are usually put togethers years in advance. Georgia ($875K) and Ole Miss ($700K) are the money games. Ohio is a return trip from 2007. The Cajuns will return the trip to Oklahoma State in 2011 and receive a $500K payout to play in Stillwater again in 2012.

The Cajuns will definitely be underdogs in those non-conference games, but those are winnable games.

Georgia will have a new QB (the Cajuns will return seven defensive starters from an improved unit in 2009 but must have a better pass rush and allow fewer big plays). Its defenses couldn't stop people all season and will be in transition with a new defensive coordinator. That's a good thing for a Cajun offense that should be much-improved with Masson and most of the top receiving threats back and the addition of RB Robert Walker.

Ole Miss will lose three starters up front, including All-SEC OL John Jerry. WR/RB Dexter McCluster, WR Shay Hodge and TE Gerald Harris are gone. QB Jevan Snead might leave for the NFL, with no returning QB with any college experience. The defense loses six starters, including potential All-America DE Greg Hardy and three of four starters in the secondary.

OSU will lose QB Zac Robinson and WR Dez Bryant as well as projected first-rounder All-America OT Russell Okung and three other starters up front. Plus RB Kendall Hunter might leave early for the NFL, and the defense loses eight senior starters, including All-America CB Perrin Cox.

Ohio overachived with a veteran team in 2009 but will lose QB Theo Scott, RB Chris Garrett, WR Taylor Price and two starters on the DL and its top DB in Steven Jackson.

It's a tough schedule, but these are games against less-than-perfect teams from power conferences. The timing would have been much worse to play them in 2009, not 2010.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ Just some things to consider: Non-conference schedules are usually put togethers years in advance. Georgia ($875K) and Ole Miss ($700K) are the money games. Ohio is a return trip from 2007. The Cajuns will return the trip to Oklahoma State in 2011 and receive a $500K payout to play in Stillwater again in 2012.

The Cajuns will definitely be underdogs in those non-conference games, but those are winnable games.

Georgia will have a new QB (the Cajuns will return seven defensive starters from an improved unit in 2009 but must have a better pass rush and allow fewer big plays). Its defenses couldn't stop people all season and will be in transition with a new defensive coordinator. That's a good thing for a Cajun offense that should be much-improved with Masson and most of the top receiving threats back and the addition of RB Robert Walker.

Ole Miss will lose three starters up front, including All-SEC OL John Jerry. WR/RB Dexter McCluster, WR Shay Hodge and TE Gerald Harris are gone. QB Jevan Snead might leave for the NFL, with no returning QB with any college experience. The defense loses six starters, including potential All-America DE Greg Hardy and three of four starters in the secondary.

OSU will lose QB Zac Robinson and WR Dez Bryant as well as projected first-rounder All-America OT Russell Okung and three other starters up front. Plus RB Kendall Hunter might leave early for the NFL, and the defense loses eight senior starters, including All-America CB Perrin Cox.

Ohio overachived with a veteran team in 2009 but will lose QB Theo Scott, RB Chris Garrett, WR Taylor Price and two starters on the DL and its top DB in Steven Jackson.

It's a tough schedule, but these are games against less-than-perfect teams from power conferences. The timing would have been much worse to play them in 2009, not 2010.

igeaux.mobi _

Josh, by my count we return 8 starters on D if you are counting Gerron Blount as a starter as he entered the season behind rolle Jr. I really don't count him as a starter as he was moved there after injury. The only significant starter in my mind that we lose is Zanders. Davis was big and athletic but I truly expect more from Gaddies on the end than what we got from Davis this year.

Default Re: 2010 Football Schedule

You know why the Sunbelt Conference gets no respect? because we depend on games against the BCS conferences as "money games" but show no initiative to beating them. The players want to beat them, but when we start beating these "money teams" that is when we will begin to get recognition and then they wont want to schedule us.

Instead of looking at these games as an opportunity to get money, we should look at these games as an opportunity to get a large respectful win. Anything other than that is just coward. We shouldnt expect to lose any game.

Rolle lost the job first due to injury and later due to inconsistency, but I do understand your logic.

DE Hall Davis, DT LaQuincy Williams, LB Antwyne Zanders and S Gerren Blount. The loss of LB Jezreel Washington could be a factor, given he started nine games over the past two years when others guys got hurt.

igeaux.mobi

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information