Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread: 2010 schedule

UL Football Re: 2010 Football Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    LOL. dude, I think you guys are watching the games in the superdome and assume they travel like this for every road game. Not so. Like I said, I watched several of their home games on CST recently and the attendance looked liked that of a high school game. I think we are a little overzealous with the top 3 and top 5 crowd predictions. I hope it works out that way, I just think it is too optimistic.
    I have lived in Baton Rouge most of my entire life except for my 5½ years (yes it took me more than 4) at UL, so I have been around plenty of Southern fans and know many as well.

They are a VERY DEVOUT group unlike any! You have to relize that most of there ENTIRE schedule is played within driving distance to Baton Rouge. Most of the SWAC schools are in TX, LA, Ark, MS, AL. There stadium holds almost as much as ours does now, and is being expanding right now, and I think when finsihed will hold MORE than ours! They have a group of about 10-15K fans that go to just about EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THERE GAMES NO MATTER WHERE IT IS AT!!! They travel in RV's around the south! They are proud of there band, which is coming to Lafayette.

So now with this being only a 1 hour drive, why wouldn't they bring 15K fans??? They'll be in the Cajun Field parking lot by mid week taking up our spaces.

I remember driving to Lafayette once for a UL game and being passed by a huge group of Southern fans and thinking "Where are they going?". Southern was playing in Houston that weekend. If you don't think they travel well, you are lying to yourself.

FWIW, I don't watch any of there games on CST.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: 2010 Football Schedule

_ I don't doubt this would be great for both schools however, I think this has been talked about between the two schools and no head room has been made. The problem rolls in that I think both would want us to do a return trip to their campuses and play there and I think the decision makers don't want to do that which is probably where we see the hold up. BOP would know better than any of us whether this is true or not but these are the rumblings I've heard for quite some time. _
    LOL!! Seriously, they need to have their heads examined.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ LOL!! Seriously, they need to have their heads examined.

Z _

Their rationale is why not? It's not like we're that much better than them and they look at us in a similar fashion as to how we look at LSU. They feel like we hold the superiority complex over other state schools and feel that we are not worthy of not traveling to play them at their place. We do it in other sports. I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just saying I ee the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by andrepourciau View Post
    _ I have lived in Baton Rouge most of my entire life except for my 5½ years (yes it took me more than 4) at UL, so I have been around plenty of Southern fans and know many as well.

They are a VERY DEVOUT group unlike any! You have to relize that most of there ENTIRE schedule is played within driving distance to Baton Rouge. Most of the SWAC schools are in TX, LA, Ark, MS, AL. There stadium holds almost as much as ours does now, and is being expanding right now, and I think when finsihed will hold MORE than ours! They have a group of about 10-15K fans that go to just about EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THERE GAMES NO MATTER WHERE IT IS AT!!! They travel in RV's around the south! They are proud of there band, which is coming to Lafayette.

So now with this being only a 1 hour drive, why wouldn't they bring 15K fans??? They'll be in the Cajun Field parking lot by mid week taking up our spaces.

I remember driving to Lafayette once for a UL game and being passed by a huge group of Southern fans and thinking "Where are they going?". Southern was playing in Houston that weekend. If you don't think they travel well, you are lying to yourself.

FWIW, I don't watch any of there games on CST. _

I'm not trying to be argumentative, however, I'm just telling you what I saw at their HOME game and they did NOT have 15k people there so if they travel with that many, I'll be impressed. I'll tell you what, If we put 30,000 people in the stands and/or if they bring 15k fans, I'll buy you lunch

I'm not trying to be argumentative, however, I'm just telling you what I saw at their HOME game and they did NOT have 15k people there so if they travel with that many, I'll be impressed. I'll tell you what, If we put 30,000 people in the stands and/or if they bring 15k fans, I'll buy you lunch
    This is SU's 2008 attendance, yes the only played 4 games at the bluff. OUCH, and we complain if we only get 5. Maybe you are closer to right, but they also did not have a good year either, thus the only 10K at the last home game.

DateTeamAttendance
    9/13/2008Miss. Valley State14317
    10/11/2008Texas Southern25512
    10/18/2008Florida A&M15107
    11/1/2008Ark-Pine Bluff10354
    Avg Att.16322.5

Took some digging but I found SU's home attendance for the past 3 season'sI'm not helping my own argument anymore. Also, you really need to go back to the late 90's and early 2000's when they were doing REALLY good.

YearAttendance

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    If the decision makers at these 2 schools truly expect a return trip from us and are using that as a reason to nix this deal, then they are even more stupid than I thought. _
    So, you think the McNeese and Southern admins are stupid?

I seriously doubt either of these programs needs us or would allow us to "dictate terms" under any circumstances. Both have done just fine not playing us.

If there's any doubt about the Jags' support just look at the Bayou Classic over the years. Look at what's being done at their stadium in terms of upgrades. Look at the support Southern football gets from their national alumni network.

As far as McNeese is concerned, I have no doubt there will be more Cowpies in the Dome than Weenies when they play in '09. I have no doubt the Cowpies will set an all time attendance record for visitors at L. State if they play them (and it's supposedly in the works).

_ You people whining about this schedule need to shut up.

Nobody plays fewer money games than we do in this conference.

Nobody plays fewer FCS schools than we do in this conference.

The '09 and '10 schedules combined have 11 home games with 2 of those being BCS home games.

You know how many times that has happenned in the past?

ZERO _
    I'm with you on this. I'd rather see us play 5 home games and have a BCS team come here than have a 6th home game against a 1-AA school.

_ We should sign multi-year contracts with Mcneese and Southern on a rotating basis. Play one this year and the other the next year and so on.

We don't need to schedule any other FCS schools besides these two.

It makes so much sense financially and would give us a permanent boost in yearly average attendance numbers. _
    It has been discussed, rotating all state schools including Louisiana Tech. Tulane would be excluded from this discussion because they are not part of the UL-System. But this idea has been discussed with all FCS schools in state and Louisiana Tech, there is nothing official right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ So, you think the McNeese and Southern admins are stupid?

I seriously doubt either of these programs needs us or would allow us to "dictate terms" under any circumstances. Both have done just fine not playing us.

If there's any doubt about the Jags' support just look at the Bayou Classic over the years. Look at what's being done at their stadium in terms of upgrades. Look at the support Southern football gets from their national alumni network.

As far as McNeese is concerned, I have no doubt there will be more Cowpies in the Dome than Weenies when they play in '09. I have no doubt the Cowpies will set an all time attendance record for visitors at L. State if they play them (and it's supposedly in the works). _

I don't think you can equate the SU following to what happens in the Bayou Classic. This is a rivalry game that goes way deeper than football for these schools. Look at the above mentioned post on their attendance marks at homeNothing to write home about. What you see on that ONE saturday in the dome goes way beyond the true game. As a matter of fact, most of the fans go to see the battle of the bands. I'd bet their attendance takes a little dive after halftime. What support does SU get from its national alumni network? I may not be looking hard but its not readily visible to me. I'm just saying that the notion that they will travel with tons of fans in September is probably not going to be reality.

_ I don't think you can equate the SU following to what happens in the Bayou Classic. This is a rivalry game that goes way deeper than football for these schools. Look at the above mentioned post on their attendance marks at homeNothing to write home about. What you see on that ONE saturday in the dome goes way beyond the true game. As a matter of fact, most of the fans go to see the battle of the bands. I'd bet their attendance takes a little dive after halftime. What support does SU get from its national alumni network? I may not be looking hard but its not readily visible to me. I'm just saying that the notion that they will travel with tons of fans in September is probably not going to be reality. _
    I'm quite familar with the Bayou Classic having followed it since inception.

I don't know what the weight of the collective Jag fanbase in attendance will be but if the weather's decent, they should bring a very good crowd to Cajun Field similar to (but I doubt quite as large as) the McNeese crowd. I'm not a weather man but right now I'd say the weather could be hot as hell, we could have a hurricane or we could have a decent but warmish, humid evening for a football game.

A 1 in 3 chance.

Question - Will Cajun fans show up?

12. Default Re: 2010 Football Schedule

Hope that the Jags wearing the blue and gold as the Cowboys did isn't a jinx!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Hope that the Jags wearing the blue and gold as the Cowboys did isn't a jinx!!! _
    Boomer, we should take this game over in the second half. If we don't I'll be singing lead tenor in CajunNation's choir. The Jags will not have the Cowpie jihad mentality the brokebacks came in with. They will be there for the party AND the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ I'm quite familar with the Bayou Classic having followed it since inception.

I don't know what the weight of the collective Jag fanbase in attendance will be but if the weather's decent, they should bring a very good crowd to Cajun Field similar to (but I doubt quite as large as) the McNeese crowd. I'm not a weather man but right now I'd say the weather could be hot as hell, we could have a hurricane or we could have a decent but warmish, humid evening for a football game.

A 1 in 3 chance.

Question - Will Cajun fans show up? _

Ahh, a big follower of the SU-Grambling rivalry huh?

I'll extend the same offering I did to another poster here. I'll buy you lunch if the Jags bring more than 10k fans. I think this is a pipe dream but the more the better right? If they bring less than 8k, you return the favor. What do you say?

_ Ahh, a big follower of the SU-Grambling rivalry huh?

I'll extend the same offering I did to another poster here. I'll buy you lunch if the Jags bring more than 10k fans. I think this is a pipe dream but the more the better right? If they bring less than 8k, you return the favor. What do you say? _
    I think they do bring 10K.you know why? There are a lot of people in Lafayette who will go to this game that wouldn't otherwise. I know a lot of Southern fans who will be going to this game that don't go to BR to watch games, plus a lot of people who are not big Southern fans who want to see them.

I can deal with this lunch offer.if this works out for you, you could have free lunch for a month lol

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread Information