Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Astros Announce 2016 Houston College Classic

Cajunjeb is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Astros Announce 2016 Houston College Classic

I know some will object, but LSU easily had 10K+ fans, especially on Saturday and it created a great atmosphere.

I know we can create a "Tigue-West" atmosphere or greater next year. With all of the schools located in the south, I expect attendance to be better.and a huge RPI bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunjeb View Post
    I know some will object, but LSU easily had 10K+ fans, especially on Saturday and it created a great atmosphere.

I know we can create a "Tigue-West" atmosphere or greater next year. With all of the schools located in the south, I expect attendance to be better.and a huge RPI bump.
    With Houston and Rice both in the tourney the crowds should be pretty good. Also, Texas Tech has a massive alumni base in Houston.

As much as it pains me to say it… UL, Texas Tech, TCU, and Arkansas will ALL most likely have better attendance than UH and Rice. I go to UH's midweek games quite often as it is just down the street from where I work and the ole lady is a UH grad/fan. I was at the LSU vs. Houston game this past Friday before driving down to Lafayette for the Saturday and Sunday games against Troy, and LSU out numbered UH fans probably close to 20 to 1. That isn't an exaggeration either…

Quote Originally Posted by campo118 View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it… UL, Texas Tech, TCU, and Arkansas will ALL most likely have better attendance than UH and Rice. I go to UH's midweek games quite often as it is just down the street from where I work and the ole lady is a UH grad/fan. I was at the LSU vs. Houston game this past Friday before driving down to Lafayette for the Saturday and Sunday games against Troy, and LSU out numbered UH fans probably close to 20 to 1. That isn't an exaggeration either…
    It makes sense when you consider the number of LSU fans in the area who do not get to watch LSU baseball live that often.

U of H does not draw well in any sports.

The football games aren't terrible now with the new stadium, at least in my experiences they seemed to have close to 30k at a few this year, although they have been pretty bad in the past from what I have been told… but you are right that all other sports get NO fan support whatsoever.

The football games aren't terrible now with the new stadium, at least in my experiences they seemed to have close to 30k at a few this year, although they have been pretty bad in the past from what I have been told… but you are right that all other sports get NO fan support whatsoever.
    That's what happens when you have a commuter school. That's what most of these large market schools are. Commuter schools that really have no school spirit.

7. UL Baseball Re: Astros Announce 2016 Houston College Classic

I give you Louisville, and I give you UCLA, and I give you Ga Tech. I recall lots of sold out Astrodome games with Houston in their heyday. I remember lots of interest in Phy Slama Jama with huge crowds, I remember a sold out Astrodome Hayes vs Alcindor.

Baseball? Really this sport is uniquely SEC and more importantly to us LSU, UL phenomena. Most people do not follow college baseball regardless of success.

.I didn't see how many Aggie fans came, but I was surprised how many Husker fans came. I don't this the 2016 attendance will match this past years, but I think Rice would bring 4-5K and we and have the potential to bring 4-5K. Just not sure about Houston, TCU or Texas Tech. Arkansas could bring a couple K. The baseball will certainly be worth it!

UL Baseball Re: Astros Announce 2016 Houston College Classic

I agree that baseball at Refineryville and UL are unique. Coach mentioned yesterday that there is a move afloat to move the start of college baseball to the 1st of April, not sure if it will gather enough momentum. If you look at the other two major sports football & basketball they mirror the pro season. He also said that of the major league players that were on the opening day roster only 12 had degrees. Baseball does not get the love in the media until after March Madness is over and if you do not if you do not start hot you never get the publicity. Again around here it is a different situation. Also it should help on the injuries from playing in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    I agree that baseball at Refineryville and UL are unique. Coach mentioned yesterday that there is a move afloat to move the start of college baseball to the 1st of April, not sure if it will gather enough momentum. If you look at the other two major sports football & basketball they mirror the pro season. He also said that of the major league players that were on the opening day roster only 12 had degrees. Baseball does not get the love in the media until after March Madness is over and if you do not if you do not start hot you never get the publicity. Again around here it is a different situation. Also it should help on the injuries from playing in the cold.
    Rogers and Fitt discussed this a little bit in their weekly chat on Monday

Comment From Thomas
    Is the NCAA is going to move the season back, when is the earliest we can expect them to make this change? I think it needs to be done.

Kendall Rogers:
    Do not see it happening anytime soon, and without unanimous support. Right now, it’s not even something that’s been officially pitched to the NCAA/Division I Committee. I think it will be pitched, however, and soon.
    Also some interesteing comments about us

Comment From Ronnie B
    Thoughts on the Sun Belt conference this year? You do you like?

Kendall Rogers:
    Ronnie,
    I still like Louisiana-Lafayette. It’s funny because before the season, we caught a lot of heat for still having the Ragin’ Cajuns as the favorite. Coach Robichaux’s club is playing pretty good ball right now. Did you see what Trahan did over the weekend? Very very impressive, but not surprising.
    http://www.d1baseball.com/chats/d1ba.-chat-march-9/

11. UL Baseball Re: Astros Announce 2016 Houston College Classic

He felt it would be a big plus for us, what with young kids still in school for much of the season. But in reality for it to actually mean something for us attendance wise, we need a bigger platform.

Thanks for info CajunJack.

Good points. I am noticing an increase in the number of baseball games on TV and WatchESPN, so that's an improvement. But you and coach are correct. Until the conference tournaments are over, ESPN and the other alphabet channels will show basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Rogers and Fitt discussed this a little bit in their weekly chat on Monday

Also some interesteing comments about us

http://www.d1baseball.com/chats/d1ba.-chat-march-9/
    I looked at the SBC stats this morning. UL is top 5 or higher in most categories. 3rd in BA and 2nd in ERA. Interesting at the team that is 1st in ERA is Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    He felt it would be a big plus for us, what with young kids still in school for much of the season. But in reality for it to actually mean something for us attendance wise, we need a bigger platform.
    Yes, I forgot about that point also with the kids being in school. It is interesting I mentioned to Gary and Sallie that I thought they should move their games to 6 pm on the weekdays when they do not play a doubleheader with the men. I thought they could draw a larger audience with the school kids by games ending around 8 instead of 9. Volleyball should consider the same thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information