Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Congratulations to Men's Basketball for a winning D1 season

Default Congratulations to Men's Basketball for a winning D1 season

Men's basketball clinched a winning season tonight with the victory over Arkansas State. The overall record is 19 and 12 but the D1 record is 16 and 12. Had they lost tonight, lost in the first round of the conference tournament, and lost in the first round of a minor tournament, they would not have been D1 winners. Until recently I thought they would finish at 0.500 and some fans gave them little chance at being winners. I am surprised they were able to turn it around to this extent. When they stopped being a team which allowed layup drills for the opponent, they turned things around. Now they are one of the best defensive teams in the league and the rest of the conference knows we are going in ready to battle. Congratulations to the entire coaching staff and all the players for sticking together when even many of the most ardent fans were ready to give up on them.

2. Default Re: Congratulations to Men's Basketball for a winning D1 season

Yes indeed.

CongratULations team.

Default Re: Congratulations to Men's Basketball for a winning D1 season

If Long returns (which he absolutely should), this team will easily win 20+ games next year. Book it.

I didn't expect it. I'm glad to be wrong.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    If Long returns (which he absolutely should), this team will easily win 20+ games next year. Book it.
    20/12 ain't braggin territory Duggie. Next year will be year 6.

Regardless, a nice finish and did not lose to the cellar dwellers in a horrible basketball conference. I guess that is a silver lining.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Winning is better than losing. Glad baseball is here.

Z

7. Default Re: Congratulations to Men's Basketball for a winning D1 season

Z, I hope they don't lose again this spring. My granddaughter is in the Magic Kingdom and is putting in a good luck wish with Jimminity Cricket. Yea that should work.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    20/12 ain't braggin territory Duggie. Next year will be year 6.

Regardless, a nice finish and did not lose to the cellar dwellers in a horrible basketball conference. I guess that is a silver lining.
    2 freshman, 2 sophomores and a junior in our starting 5 go 20-12. If you don't think they can do something special next year, I can only conclude you and Marlin have a personal issue bw ya'll.

2 freshman, 2 sophomores and a junior in our starting 5 go 20-12. If you don't think they can do something special next year, I can only conclude you and Marlin have a personal issue bw ya'll.
    This.

I'm not going to pretend that Marlin has had amazing results here at UL, but this team has quietly turned things around and we'll only get better next year. If Long sticks around one more year I'd put my money on the Cajuns wining well over 20 games as well as a regular season title.

With that said I'm not so sure Long will stick around. It's going to be a tough decision for him.

10. Default Re: Congratulations to Men's Basketball for a winning D1 season

If you pay attention I like our players, especially happy with our two freshman. I got nothing against Marlin, I hope he wins his way to a bigger gig.

What I am telling YOU is 20 wins in this league is not special at all. You want a number that impresses? Five loses or less, the wins take care of themselves.

Next year is year six. This is basketball. It should not take six years to be very good. Marlin = Bustle, who I respected & liked and like still. Defended him too long. Marlin is your Bustle.

I think Long won't be around next year. If he doesn't get drafted to a team in the NBA, then he'll go play somewhere in China or another country. I think he's done with college basketball.

12. UL Basketball Re: Congratulations to Men's Basketball for a winning D1 season

MountianDew you may be right, he has a family that needs income. None of us have any idea how close he is to graduation. My guess is if he is within twenty four hours it is a toss up, if more he goes.

Let's compare apples to apples, we are 16-12 against D1 opponents. I want whoever coaches here to win, but let's not kid ourselves non D1 teams should not be used to pad a schedule.

The most disappointing this about this 16-12 record is that we should be 20-8 against D1 programs. No way should we have dropped 2 games against South Al, McNeese or NwSt.

14. UL Basketball Re: Congratulations to Men's Basketball for a winning D1 season

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Let's compare apples to apples, we are 16-12 against D1 opponents. I want whoever coaches here to win, but let's not kid ourselves non D1 teams should not be used to pad a schedule.

The most disappointing this about this 16-12 record is that we should be 20-8 against D1 programs. No way should we have dropped 2 games against South Al, McNeese or NwSt.
    GSU is 22-9 and has zero chance of an at large bid. No team in the SBC can be worthy of an at large bid, important value for seeding, with more than one possibly two regular season losses in conference, and a great non conference season. Probably no more than three loses all told.

For those who are too young to understand what it feels like to have a great team, just think of our softball program every year, and baseball last year, only multiply the exposure by a factor of ten.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    This.

I'm not going to pretend that Marlin has had amazing results here at UL, but this team has quietly turned things around and we'll only get better next year. If Long sticks around one more year I'd put my money on the Cajuns wining well over 20 games as well as a regular season title.

With that said I'm not so sure Long will stick around. It's going to be a tough decision for him.
    I hope we get better next year. but "I don't know". If Long sticks around I think we'll win over 20 games next year. but "I don't know". With that said. "I don't know" if Long will stick around. and "I don't know" if it will be a tough decision for him. "I just don't know". because when it comes to things that "I don't know". I admit it. and I read, watch and listen to smart people everywhere I can find them. so that I too can know.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information