Thread: Difference between 2008 and 2009 in Football

Default Difference between 2008 and 2009 in Football

Many people want to bring up how we could not replace last years offense. While their was obviously a drop off in most statistical aspects of the offense, the main difference between the two years is scoring in the second half and mostly in the 4th quarter.

2008 Second Half : UL 216 - Opponents 185
    2009 Second Half : UL 89 - Opponents 170

2008 4th Quarter : UL 116 - Opponents 89
    2009 4th Quarter : UL 43 - Opponents 115

That's the major difference between the two team. The 2009 Cajuns could not finish games. So, no more excuses about this being a good year at 6-6 after the loss of Dez, Fenroy, and Cherry. The problem was at the end of the game on a team level.

Default Re: Difference between 2008 and 2009 in Football

While you may have something, there is a saying about statistics. Simply taking one small piece of the puzzle and drawing a conclusion is just a way to make "your" statistic work to support "your theory". What about the other half of the game? Defensively your statistic shows improvement over last year; while a large dropoff in offensive production. Not dissing your thought; but show me the numbers for the 1st half of the game and perhaps you have more "credibility" to support the theory.

Here you go. There isn't much difference. UL -4 : Opponents -28

2008 First Half : UL 181 - Opponents 219
    2009 First Half : UL 177 - Opponents 191

I was mainly pointing out to quit saying this hear was a huge accomplishment by finishing at 6-6 due to the loss of those three players. Offense dropped slightly, but not finishing games was the biggest difference.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Difference between 2008 and 2009 in Football

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    _ Here you go. There isn't much difference. UL -4 : Opponents -28

2008 First Half : UL 181 - Opponents 219
    2009 First Half : UL 177 - Opponents 191

I was mainly pointing out to quit saying this hear was a huge accomplishment by finishing at 6-6 due to the loss of those three players. Offense dropped slightly, but not finishing games was the biggest difference. _
    My observation is that Bustle coached teams [not just this year] when they get a lead, they then play not to lose. Sort of like the old Jim Mora Saints.

That accounts for the big falloff in the second half of games. It has little to do with players, and everything to do with coaching philosophy.

It also comes down to a staff's inability or unwillingness to adjust your approach to a gameplan to what is actually happening in the game at that time. I find that Bustle and staff have been adequate in their approach to certain games but they have completely outcoached during the games with their lack of adjustments to counter what the other teams are doing. A good coach can adjust his team's angle of attack and exploit matchups that he sees will benefit his team regardless of the situation and Bustle seems unable to do this. I think that would be a big reason in the first and second half point discrepancies that you saw. You saw these things occur in games like Kansas State, ASU, Troy, Florida International and I'm sure people could make the case for others.

6. Default Re: Difference between 2008 and 2009 in Football

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ It also comes down to a staff's inability or unwillingness to adjust your approach to a gameplan to what is actually happening in the game at that time. I find that Bustle and staff have been adequate in their approach to certain games but they have completely outcoached during the games with their lack of adjustments to counter what the other teams are doing. A good coach can adjust his team's angle of attack and exploit matchups that he sees will benefit his team regardless of the situation and Bustle seems unable to do this. I think that would be a big reason in the first and second half point discrepancies that you saw. You saw these things occur in games like Kansas State, ASU, Troy, Florida International and I'm sure people could make the case for others. _
    YES IMO its his biggest deficiency.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    While you may have something, there is a saying about statistics. Simply taking one small piece of the puzzle and drawing a conclusion is just a way to make "your" statistic work to support "your theory". What about the other half of the game? Defensively your statistic shows improvement over last year; while a large dropoff in offensive production. Not dissing your thought; but show me the numbers for the 1st half of the game and perhaps you have more "credibility" to support the theory.
    Piece of the puzzle mathmatics earned Bustle the last year on his contract.
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ My observation is that Bustle coached teams [not just this year] when they get a lead, they then play not to lose. Sort of like the old Jim Mora Saints.

That accounts for the big falloff in the second half of games. It has little to do with players, and everything to do with coaching philosophy. _
    I've felt the same way. no lead is ever too safe.

That's why the Saints never let their foot off the peddle against Patriots.

Play 60 minutes of football not 45!

im not saying your point is not valid, but some of that can be credit to those 3 seniors. finishing games is something you learn with experience. also,the way we ran it last year,defense's tongues were hanging by the end of a game, not so much with the offense this year. all im saying is i dont think we are comparing apples to apples.

Many people want to bring up how we could not replace last years offense. While their was obviously a drop off in most statistical aspects of the offense, the main difference between the two years is scoring in the second half and mostly in the 4th quarter.

That's the major difference between the two team. The 2009 Cajuns could not finish games. So, no more excuses about this being a good year at 6-6 after the loss of Dez, Fenroy, and Cherry. The problem was at the end of the game on a team level.
    igeaux.mobi

I agree that Bustle has been known to not "put the nail in the coffin" to finish off teams. However, one could look at those statistics and say that we performed just as well without the "Big 3" on offense and even better on defense. While watching the explosiveness of Des, Fenroy, and Chery was fun and entertaining, this year's offense was just as fun to watch. Because we don't have per say the one "big play" guy, it has forced the entire offense to step up and make plays. Remember that we started a Sophomore with no experience at Qb this year along with a lot of inexperience at WR and RB (after Sails went down). We are a lot more balanced this year than we were last year on the offensive side. For example, when Masson went down, Brad stepped up with no problem. When Brad went down, Blaine stepped in and marched us down the field. You couldn't say that about last years team (minus the Ark St game).I think our offense will learn from their mistakes and get better in the off-season. We can fuss and gripe about Bustle all we want, but at the end of the day he is still the head coach of the team that we all love and support. So let's get over it, support our boys, and hope for at least a seven win season next year. Happy Holidays to everyone.

11. Default Re: Difference between 2008 and 2009 in Football

The 2009 offense was much more deliberate but not nearly as fun as 2008 when UL lead the Nation in 50+ yard TD scores.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ YES IMO its his biggest deficiency. _

What?? We agree on something???

Well let's look on the bright side, the offense returns enough from last year to take a big step forward and I think the defense, if healthy, should improve for the second straight year. I may be the eternal optimist, but I think next years Cajuns will be tough to beat (In Conference).

_ Many people want to bring up how we could not replace last years offense. While their was obviously a drop off in most statistical aspects of the offense, the main difference between the two years is scoring in the second half and mostly in the 4th quarter.

That's the major difference between the two team. The 2009 Cajuns could not finish games. So, no more excuses about this being a good year at 6-6 after the loss of Dez, Fenroy, and Cherry. The problem was at the end of the game on a team level. _

An outstanding post!!!

Thread Information