1. Default UL Football: Bustle will be back for 2010

UL Football: Bustle will be back for 2010
    The rest of the story

Default Re: UL Football: Bustle will be back for 2010

Mediocrity returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Mediocrity returns. _
    Did you really expect anything different? We simply are not serious about sports at UL. We are all wasting our time, heart, blood, sweat and tears on a program where the powers that be simply are not serious. This is very depressing.

4. Default

Mediocrity returns.
    I'll borrow and twist a Bum Phillips phrase to describe UL's football program.

'It's twice as good as it had been and half as good as it could/should be'
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I'll borrow and twist a Bum Phillips phrase to describe UL's football program.

'It's twice as good as it had been and half as good as it could/should be'
    igeaux.mobi _
    I always liked Bum Philips but I never knew he was a philosopher. I like this statement and it pretty much sums up where we are. Bustle has turned a pathetic team into a mediocre team. He has got us about as far as he can and we can thank him for that contribution. I guess if we don't have the funds and or will to go out and get someone better, someone that will energize the fan base then hey heck why not give him another year. It still is depressing.

Mediocrity returns.
    Mediocre is 2-9, 1-10. 6-6 is average. I don't why most people/fans say we are mediocre. We are not mediocre. Now if you want to say tired of being average I can buy that. But if you go back in history, UL has been mostly mediocre. So if we are mostly mediocre though our history and now we are average. Why are most fans upset? We are moving forward. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Just wondering why are so many upset. At the start of the year we are pick to win 4-5 games and finish 6th in conference. We finish better that that and a lot of fans are upset. I'm just trying to understand. why???

I also hear people are going to give on the University and team and then I hear these same fans saying how much the love and support this university and team. We can't have it both way. Love is unconditional. At the end of the day football is just a game and should be treated as such.And I understand that a good football program can drive a university.So these are just a few questions I have.

Default Mediocrity returns

Quote Originally Posted by Go_UL View Post
    Mediocre is 2-9, 1-10. 6-6 is average. I don't why most people/fans say we are mediocre. We are not mediocre. Now if you want to say tired of being average I can buy that. But if you go back in history, UL has been mostly mediocre. So if we are mostly mediocre though our history and now we are average. Why are most fans upset? We are moving forward. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Just wondering why are so many upset. At the start of the year we are pick to win 4-5 games and finish 6th in conference. We finish better that that and a lot of fans are upset. I'm just trying to understand. why???

I also hear people are going to give on the University and team and then I hear these same fans saying how much the love and support this university and team. We can't have it both way. Love is unconditional. At the end of the day football is just a game and should be treated as such.And I understand that a good football program can drive a university.So these are just a few questions I have.
    Sorry, man, the last time I looked in a dictionary mediocre IS average and inbetween (neither good nor bad). 6-6 is not bad, but it is also not good if you consider a loss bad and a win good. Mediocre is what we are. 2-9 is most definitely BAD.

Mediocre is defined as of only moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate. That is exactly what we are. Winning six games and barely squeaking by the worst teams in the country is mediocre. How do you honestly think going 2-9 or 1-10 would only be mediocre? That's TERRIBLE! But whatever if you want to justify this decision by saying that we're average not mediocre go ahead. I will say, however, that that is one of the most pathetic excuses I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by keithj View Post
    Sorry, man, the last time I looked in a dictionary mediocre IS average and inbetween (neither good nor bad). 6-6 is not bad, but it is also not good if you consider a loss bad and a win good. Mediocre is what we are. 2-9 is most definitely BAD.

This is why I should not post after staying up all night. It sounded good
    when I thought it out. But did not turn so well after typing it. I'm tried.

_ This is why I should not post after staying up all night. It sounded good
    when I thought it out. But did not turn so well after typing it. I'm tried. _

This is a quote from someone (SWBulldog) commenting in The Advertiser today about Bustle being retained:
    "This was the best decision that the school could make financially and not impact academics any more than it already does. It is not really about winning all your games. It's about losing as few games as possible and having as little financial impact on academics as possible. ULL is not LSU, so the alumni and fans need to get accustomed to losing at least three or four games each year. ULL will never have an undefeated season with the financial restraints it currently has. If you don't make this mental adjustment, you will be setting yourself up for disappointment year after year. ULL is often competitive on the field, generally has good students, and displays sportsmanship, and that is about as good as it will get."

THAT just about sums up what the Lafayette and Acadiana think of UL sports and is why only 12,000 show up for a final game of the year vs. an undefeated conference champion with a 7th win and bowl game on the line. APATHY. It is also why more people in Lafayette support LSU than UL. No other way to put it. UL is the small school with big ambitions but no means and no leadership to get there. Next year will be another average year in football. Basketball has fallen into the abyss and UL is taking NO ACTION to correct it in both men's and women's basketball. No one cares any more because the university doesn't care. I shouldn't say that, because they obviously care. It is that they don't exhibit any semblance of caring because they ALWAYS take the cheap way out, give no real explanations, and our AD will NOT meet with the media. We get no vision of where athletics is heading. RCAF after all the planning is rolled out with a wimper, no fanfare, no major push, and is fledgling along. And, our new President is silent on everything in athletics. And, many here wonder why people won't support UL or why they go over to the dark side and support LSU. When we criticize, we are labled as being just like LSU fans. God forbid we want to be successful in any sport. For all that has been said about our new administration and the positive changes that will now occur with Dr. A out of office, well, it ain't happening.

The only thing that would make this palatable to me in keeping Bustle is that by doing so we are able to make sweeping changes NOW in basketball. By that, I mean Coach Lee is replaced on an interim basis by an assistant coach and we start a search for a new coach. There are plenty outstanding coaches who are not coaching right now that would be great candidates. AND, we relieve Coach Rogers as head coach and bring back Coach Hall who is available immediately and is willing and ready to return to UL.

THAT would be the kind of statement I am looking for. We should have a pretty solid football team coming back next year. IF we do something in basketball NOW, I can stomach another year under Bustle. Who knows, we just might winning 3 of those 4 OOC games and go 7-1 or 6-2 in conference and end up in a bowl game. At least there is the hope of that. There is NO HOPE in basketball, men's or women's, and changes are needed IMMEDIATELY.

_ Mediocre is 2-9, 1-10. 6-6 is average. I don't why most people/fans say we are mediocre. We are not mediocre. Now if you want to say tired of being average I can buy that. But if you go back in history, UL has been mostly mediocre. So if we are mostly mediocre though our history and now we are average. Why are most fans upset? We are moving forward. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Just wondering why are so many upset. At the start of the year we are pick to win 4-5 games and finish 6th in conference. We finish better that that and a lot of fans are upset. I'm just trying to understand. why???

I also hear people are going to give on the University and team and then I hear these same fans saying how much the love and support this university and team. We can't have it both way. Love is unconditional. At the end of the day football is just a game and should be treated as such.And I understand that a good football program can drive a university.So these are just a few questions I have. _
    Medicore and average have basically the same definition. 2-9 means you are falling, you are a loser. You must be using some of that quality UL education to come up with 2-9 being medicore.

Quote Originally Posted by racajun54 View Post
    _ Medicore and average have basically the same definition. 2-9 means you are falling, you are a loser. You must be using some of that quality UL education to come up with 2-9 being medicore. _
    Not according to the dictionary (see m-w.com)

Mediocre - "of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ordinary, so-so"

Average (adj.)- ": being about midway between extremes b : not out of the ordinary : common "

Average > Mediocre

Let's stop calling other fans losers. We all want what's best for the program and we all want to see it thrive and succeed.

13. Default Re: UL Football: Bustle will be back for 2010

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ This is a quote from someone (SWBulldog) commenting in The Advertiser today about Bustle being retained:

THAT just about sums up what the Lafayette and Acadiana think of UL sports and is why only 12,000 show up for a final game of the year vs. an undefeated conference champion with a 7th win and bowl game on the line. APATHY. It is also why more people in Lafayette support LSU than UL. No other way to put it. UL is the small school with big ambitions but no means and no leadership to get there. Next year will be another average year in football. Basketball has fallen into the abyss and UL is taking NO ACTION to correct it in both men's and women's basketball. No one cares any more because the university doesn't care. I shouldn't say that, because they obviously care. It is that they don't exhibit any semblance of caring because they ALWAYS take the cheap way out, give no real explanations, and our AD will NOT meet with the media. We get no vision of where athletics is heading. RCAF after all the planning is rolled out with a wimper, no fanfare, no major push, and is fledgling along. And, our new President is silent on everything in athletics. And, many here wonder why people won't support UL or why they go over to the dark side and support LSU. When we criticize, we are labled as being just like LSU fans. God forbid we want to be successful in any sport. For all that has been said about our new administration and the positive changes that will now occur with Dr. A out of office, well, it ain't happening.

The only thing that would make this palatable to me in keeping Bustle is that by doing so we are able to make sweeping changes NOW in basketball. By that, I mean Coach Lee is replaced on an interim basis by an assistant coach and we start a search for a new coach. There are plenty outstanding coaches who are not coaching right now that would be great candidates. AND, we relieve Coach Rogers as head coach and bring back Coach Hall who is available immediately and is willing and ready to return to UL.

THAT would be the kind of statement I am looking for. We should have a pretty solid football team coming back next year. IF we do something in basketball NOW, I can stomach another year under Bustle. Who knows, we just might winning 3 of those 4 OOC games and go 7-1 or 6-2 in conference and end up in a bowl game. At least there is the hope of that. There is NO HOPE in basketball, men's or women's, and changes are needed IMMEDIATELY. _
    Funny how that particular passage found its way into the paper If this comment is any indication of how the administration views UL athletics, we are all wasting our time. And judging by recent to not-so-recent history, it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _

This was a bad decision.

Here's a newsflash, the mediocrity lies in the administration. Mediocre may be too kind in fact. Personally I believe Bustle has done a great job working with one of the 3 lowest budgets in the worst football conference in the country. Nick Saban and Urban Meyer as co-head coaches couldn't do much better. BUT, the administration had two options in this case; retain Bustle and give him an extension, OR, terminate his contract and move in another direction. But in retaining him in a lame duck position, in the last year of a contract with no extension, you're dooming yourself to failure. That KILLS recruiting. Given they have no recruiting budget to begin with, adding further obstacles is devastating to the program. Rumors are that an extension MAY POSSIBLY be in the works. If that's the case then my opinion changes. But until then this shows a total lack of commitment and a recipe for failure. Period.

Thread Information