Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chris Masson

Default Chris Masson

Guys,

I know alot of people on this forum have given Chris a hard time this season, but I am thouroughly impressed with his first year as a starter. He is going to throw for nearly 2500 yards with double digit TD's and single digit INT's. He runs the 2 minute drill as well as any QB we have had in a long time. He is athletic enough to run when he has to, and has a strong enough arm to throw to the sidelines well. Plus he is durable.

I think he will only get better as time goes on. Having Brad and Blaine behind him as solid backups is nice as well.

I am encouraged to have this guy start for us for the next 2 years.

UL Football Re: Chris Masson

I agreeI'm pleased with his play as well.

Coming into this year I thought McGuire would be the starter, but I have to give Masson some props. He put 3 balls right on the money that were 30-40 yards downfield against ULM that were not caught. 2 were dropped by the receivers and 1 was broken up by the defense at the last second.

Neither Desormeaux or Babb ever made those types of throws and I believe we need to do this more often to stretch the field (i.e. Drew Brees). Our O-Line hasn't been playing great lately and defenses keep stacking the box. I wish he would keep the ball on the delayed hand-off at least twice a game. He could of picked up 20 yards on the ground easily.

Lastly, I love how he and McGuire celebrate together. Masson does all the work to get us into the Red zone and then McGuire comes in to score the touchdown. He and McGuire were chest bumping and giving each other high fives after McGuire scored. That is truly a great thing to see!

Default Re: Chris Masson

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    _ Guys,

I know alot of people on this forum have given Chris a hard time this season, but I am thouroughly impressed with his first year as a starter. He is going to throw for nearly 2500 yards with double digit TD's and single digit INT's. He runs the 2 minute drill as well as any QB we have had in a long time. He is athletic enough to run when he has to, and has a strong enough arm to throw to the sidelines well. Plus he is durable.

I think he will only get better as time goes on. Having Brad and Blaine behind him as solid backups is nice as well.

I am encouraged to have this guy start for us for the next 2 years. _

The people who have banged on Chris this year are those that tend to diagnose the season after each and every game or who look at boxscores. I thought Chris played really well this year considering he didn't have many playmakers in the WR corp to help him out and our best RB went down for the year. When you consider that for most of the year, our WR's were averaging somewhere around 5-7 drops per game, it doesn't help you out too much. I think everyone should be impressed with the season as a whole this year. Personally, I predicted 5 wins and felt that we were outmanned in many of our matchups. Chris has played well but I think he's played in a system that doesn't suit all of his talents also. Before the season, I questioned whether or not the coaches were going to run the zone read and run him 15-20 times per game a la Desormeaux (which is not smart). While they didn't do this, they took out the surprise element of the offense by running a lot of dives making Walker and Sails continuously hit the A and B gaps as undersized backs. I wish we could have gone a little more pro style kind of like what FAU runs using their talented TE's well and running a lot of bootleg and playaction plays that would take advantage of Masson's agility while not running him all of the time. That didn't happen either and I hope the offense is tweaked a bit next year.

I have been a Masson supporter all season. Some people I believe have wrongly placed blame on him for certain things throughout the season. I look for him to continue his growth as a QB and go down as one of the bezt to wear a Cajun uniform. Also I believe that barring injury he will be at the top or near the top of all career passing records.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ I have been a Masson supporter all season. Some people I believe have wrongly placed blame on him for certain things throughout the season. I look for him to continue his growth as a QB and go down as one of the bezt to wear a Cajun uniform. Also I believe that barring injury he will be at the top or near the top of all career passing records.

igeaux.mobi _
    Chris has had a fine season passing. He also has been tougher lately. Some believe (and I tend to agree) that he does not keep it enough when running the zone read. He also does not sell his keep very well when he gives the ball off on the zone read. Like every player, he does some things well and can improve on other things.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Chris Masson

i am very pleased with the way the coaching staff uses both qb's. it makes the other team prepare more for what they might see in the game. now, if we could just fit blaine into the equation more, well, that would just be mo' better. geaux cajuns!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Saint View Post
    _ i am very pleased with the way the coaching staff uses both qb's. it makes the other team prepare more for what they might see in the game. now, if we could just fit blaine into the equation more, well, that would just be mo' better. geaux cajuns! _
    I loved the way we confused ULM with our quarterback rotation on I think it was our second touchdown. McGuire had just been in the game for a play and then we switched Masson into the game. ULM's defense had obviously been called expecting another McGuire run because when they saw we had Masson in the game they called a timeout. Then after the timeout we put McGuire back in, and he ran for a touchdown.

I've been ragging on the coaches a lot, but I've gotta give them credit where credit is due. That was a great call.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Chris Masson

Chris has had a nice season overall, but he's still too inconsistent from one game to the next, and if Bustle is going to have him run the zone-read, then he needs to learn HOW to read!! All he does on that play is hand the ball off with no fake or anything. That's why that play never goes anywhere!! The defense automatically knows to key on the running back. Even crazier is the fact that McGuire ran THE EXACT SAME PLAY every time he touched the ball last night!! GUARANTEED that won't work next week against Troy!!!

His strength is in the passing game and i believe that they should not ask him to run the zone read. You can run the ball effectively out of the shotgun without the option, just get creative!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Chris has had a fine season passing. He also has been tougher lately. Some believe (and I tend to agree) that he does not keep it enough when running the zone read. He also does not sell his keep very well when he gives the ball off on the zone read. Like every player, he does some things well and can improve on other things.
    igeaux.mobi

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The people who have banged on Chris this year are those that tend to diagnose the season after each and every game or who look at boxscores. I thought Chris played really well this year considering he didn't have many playmakers in the WR corp to help him out and our best RB went down for the year. When you consider that for most of the year, our WR's were averaging somewhere around 5-7 drops per game, it doesn't help you out too much. I think everyone should be impressed with the season as a whole this year. Personally, I predicted 5 wins and felt that we were outmanned in many of our matchups. Chris has played well but I think he's played in a system that doesn't suit all of his talents also. Before the season, I questioned whether or not the coaches were going to run the zone read and run him 15-20 times per game a la Desormeaux (which is not smart). While they didn't do this, they took out the surprise element of the offense by running a lot of dives making Walker and Sails continuously hit the A and B gaps as undersized backs. I wish we could have gone a little more pro style kind of like what FAU runs using their talented TE's well and running a lot of bootleg and playaction plays that would take advantage of Masson's agility while not running him all of the time. That didn't happen either and I hope the offense is tweaked a bit next year.
    Well, i can tell you that i am one of those that have voiced concern about Masson. I wouldn't describe it as 'bangin on him', but i've stated facts. Anyone with a perfunctory knowledge of football can see that the guy is a one-read Quarterback. If the hot route isn't open, he panics. He is wildly inconsistent, and he leaves 50-60 rushing yards on the field every saturday afternoon. Granted, he is a sophomore, and it is his first year starting, but things like staring down recievers and not checking down are fixable things that he continues to do. He's been serviceable, but he's no all star.
    igeaux.mobi

11. Default Re: Chris Masson

I thin,k that the Bullok(sp) kid from CHS New Iberia is the real deal----looked great on tv last night ---I worked up a list of about 25 guys from CHS who have played for the Cajuns--Will give it to coach and try to get this kid here ---he has a commit to the Greenies but who knows --I heard that the kicker from Acadiana has now come to us!!!!

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Masson would be a much better QB if our receivers caught balls that hit their hands. For us to beat Troy, we'll need to make almost all of those plays, y'know?
    igeaux.mobi

I think Masson is coming to form very nicely and during last game it seemed like he finally got enough confidence to throw down field vs. single man coverage, now we just have to see if our receivers can catch the ball next time.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ Well, i can tell you that i am one of those that have voiced concern about Masson. I wouldn't describe it as 'bangin on him', but i've stated facts. Anyone with a perfunctory knowledge of football can see that the guy is a one-read Quarterback. If the hot route isn't open, he panics. He is wildly inconsistent, and he leaves 50-60 rushing yards on the field every saturday afternoon. Granted, he is a sophomore, and it is his first year starting, but things like staring down recievers and not checking down are fixable things that he continues to do. He's been serviceable, but he's no all star.
    igeaux.mobi _

I got to tell you, I guess I don't know as much about the game as I thought because I cannot tell that he is strictly a one read QB. Maybe when he's got a large man bearing down upon him have I seen him get rid of it quickly but this offense is not based on reading one receiver. We really don't have a go-to guy and its going to whomever is open. He doesn't know who is going to be open until the play takes place so I would not agree with that assessment. If you want to say that he doens't have the strongest arm, then I I'm with you all the way but I haven't seen him to be deficient in his reads. I also believe that he will be better than you give him credit for. You discredit that rushing yards that "he leaves on the field" but I'm not sold that he is running the option on some of those plays rather than called dives. By that logic, you have to add about 40-50 yards to his passing stats due the drops that his receivers average of about 4-7 per game. This has plagued him all year.

I really think ladarius green could be that "go to guy" if UL gave him the opportunity to be. if not this year then next. but they just cant limit his abilities

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information