Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: We are in the Bustle II Era

Default Re: This is Bustle II

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    _ How exactly has ULM passed us up in football?
    Record? Fan support? Budget? Facilities? National Perception? I see none of that TODAY. If UL loses Saturday then the argument gets reopened. If UL (somehow) wins out we probably go bowling and the progress you ask about is clearly demonstrated. Bustle is coaching for his career this week, let's see how he does. I hope he and the team can pull it out! _
    The point to me is that in a worse case scenario, they are our equal in football and the barometer for which we judge ourselves. How sad that we have dropped to this. If they beat us and go to a bowl game, they will have passed us. While they will certainly deserve to go, it is pretty sad for UL that that might occur.

2. Default Re: We are in the Bustle II Era

The Cajuns are in grave danger of losing a substantial sect of die hard fans this weekend.. A loss to ULM at home on the heels of this season would be devastating to this program and possibly the last straw for many..
    igeaux.mobi

Default Re: We are in the Bustle II Era

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ The Cajuns are in grave danger of losing a substantial sect of die hard fans this weekend.. A loss to ULM at home on the heels of this season would be devastating to this program and possibly the last straw for many..
    igeaux.mobi _
    AGREED, THIS IS A CAN'T LOSE GAME THAT I DON'T THINK WE CAN WIN.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: This is Bustle II

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
    _ Everyone is in such a hurry to dump Bustle. Being someone who isn't a rabid Cajun fan I think I can offer an objective opinion. This was one of, if not the worst program in all of FBS football before he got here. Since then the program has seen a remarkable turn around, including a conference championship. Should you be satisfied with winning 6 wins a season? Of course not. We all would love to see them winning 7-8 games or more and winning more conference championships and playing in bowl games. But WHO is going to do that with what there is to work with here? Seriously. And if not Bustle, who? If you fire Bustle you presumably want someone "better." Where are you going to find that guy? You realize that historically, this has been a graveyard for college coaches, not a stepping stone. Until you make the position more attractive you're not going to get that young hotshot guy looking to make a name for himself. Coaches haven't made names for themselves here, they've ended their careers. Pump some money into the program, demonstrate that the school is serious about putting a competitive program on the field, and maybe then you'll attract someone like that. Until then, be careful what you wish for. _

Right on Rasta!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ Everyone is in such a hurry to dump Bustle. Being someone who isn't a rabid Cajun fan I think I can offer an objective opinion. This was one of, if not the worst program in all of FBS football before he got here. Since then the program has seen a remarkable turn around, including a conference championship. Should you be satisfied with winning 6 wins a season? Of course not. We all would love to see them winning 7-8 games or more and winning more conference championships and playing in bowl games. But WHO is going to do that with what there is to work with here? Seriously. And if not Bustle, who? If you fire Bustle you presumably want someone "better." Where are you going to find that guy? You realize that historically, this has been a graveyard for college coaches, not a stepping stone. Until you make the position more attractive you're not going to get that young hotshot guy looking to make a name for himself. Coaches haven't made names for themselves here, they've ended their careers. Pump some money into the program, demonstrate that the school is serious about putting a competitive program on the field, and maybe then you'll attract someone like that. Until then, be careful what you wish for. _
    You would call what we are discussing... "hurrying"... after 8 seasons? It is an incorrect assumption that "someone better" won't consider coming to UL. Money talks and coaches listen. The only "pumped money" that will have an immediate impact is the large salary we need to produce for the new football coaching staff. That is the only instantaneous signal that we can send and get instant results. We have other expenditures that are required in our very near future at Cajun Field... and those items will mysteriously get paid for when UL announces how serious it is about coaching competitiveness (pay for results).

The only way you improve your historical path is to improve the direction you are heading today.

Geaux Cajuns! Clobber ULM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ You would call what we are discussing... "hurrying"... after 8 seasons? It is an incorrect assumption that "someone better" won't consider coming to UL. Money talks and coaches listen. The only "pumped money" that will have an immediate impact is the large salary we need to produce for the new football coaching staff. That is the only instantaneous signal that we can send and get instant results. We have other expenditures that are required in our very near future at Cajun Field... and those items will mysteriously get paid for when UL announces how serious it is about coaching competitiveness (pay for results).

The only way you improve your historical path is to improve the direction you are heading today.

Geaux Cajuns! Clobber ULM!!! _
    Seriously? You are correct in one thing, money does talk. But this "large salary" you're talking about...where is it coming from? Are you familiar with the Cajuns athletic budget? Money for something like that is going to have to come from the new Athletic Foundation. Unfortunately last time I checked, Cajun boosters talk a lot but donate very little. You are correct, money talks, but the Cajuns don't have any. Consequently you have a middle of the pack program in the worst conference in Division I football, and no, at the moment "someone better" isn't beating the door down to take Bustle's place. Quit whining about your football team and your coach and buy something better. Alumni need to step up and put some money into the program, or they should quit _____ing about it. Same goes for the stadium improvements everybody cries about. Pay for them. But do you need to add seating capacity when they never come close to selling out the existing capacity?? You are correct, money talks, and the alumni/boosters don't support the program. Put up or shut up, that's the bottom line.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ Seriously? You are correct in one thing, money does talk. But this "large salary" you're talking about...where is it coming from? Are you familiar with the Cajuns athletic budget? Money for something like that is going to have to come from the new Athletic Foundation. Unfortunately last time I checked, Cajun boosters talk a lot but donate very little. You are correct, money talks, but the Cajuns don't have any. Consequently you have a middle of the pack program in the worst conference in Division I football, and no, at the moment "someone better" isn't beating the door down to take Bustle's place. Quit whining about your football team and your coach and buy something better. Alumni need to step up and put some money into the program, or they should quit _____ing about it. Same goes for the stadium improvements everybody cries about. Pay for them. But do you need to add seating capacity when they never come close to selling out the existing capacity?? You are correct, money talks, and the alumni/boosters don't support the program. Put up or shut up, that's the bottom line. _
    If you are one of "us", you can tell "us" to put up or shut up. Out of one side of your face you are telling "us" to stop whining and "buy something better"... out of the other side of your face you are telling "us" we don't have the money and we don't support "our" program.

We have the money... actually plenty of it... for significant football coaching salary hikes. As for RCAF and this booster thing you're talking about... RCAF is still in the womb. It hasn't even been born yet. Like I've said enough already... the alumni will not simply throw money in an account because someone printed up some new brochures. It is going to take some serious work on the part of the admin... to purchase trust back... namely some serious coaching hires... to shake the wallets loose. I guarantee it. That is not _____ about it... that is shining the light on the way.

_ If you are one of "us", you can tell "us" to put up or shut up. Out of one side of your face you are telling "us" to stop whining and "buy something better"... out of the other side of your face you are telling "us" we don't have the money and we don't support "our" program.

We have the money... actually plenty of it... for significant football coaching salary hikes. As for RCAF and this booster thing you're talking about... RCAF is still in the womb. It hasn't even been born yet. Like I've said enough already... the alumni will not simply throw money in an account because someone printed up some new brochures. It is going to take some serious work on the part of the admin... to purchase trust back... namely some serious coaching hires... to shake the wallets loose. I guarantee it. That is not _____ about it... that is shining the light on the way. _
    "We don't have the money" as it, the school doesn't have the money. There is no money in the budget for a "serious coaching hire." Or, if you blew the budget on the coach, the "serious coaching hire" would have no budget to try and run his program. Bellichick couldn't succeed here with no resources. So, I say again, the "boosters" are going to have to pony up to make up for the budget shortage. Again, there will never, repeat NEVER, be a "serious coaching hire" until the job becomes even somewhat attractive. It's currently one of the worst jobs in all of Division I football. No one wants the job as it stands, which is why you get the type of coaches you've had in recent years. You think Ricky Bustle was the best coach available for hire at the time? No, but that's the best they could get to take the job. So, find someone better than Bustle, AND someone the university can afford with the budget they have to work with. Good luck.

You guys are saying money talks, but Stockstill just said no to a $750,000 raise to go to Memphis where they supposedly aren't committed to football just like many people in this community feel about our university.

Theres no way UL will be able to offer a coach that salary whether its this year or next. If Memphis couldn't lure their top candidate (which is a coach in the "worst conference in the country") with that kind of pay raise and upgrade in everything from conference to athletic budget to facilites, i can't imagine what types of candidates would look our way....

BTW, they have a freshman quarterback who sat out this year because he transferred from the University of Miami (originally committed to Ole Miss) who happens to be the son of the CEO of FedEx. Supposed to be pretty legit.

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    _ You guys are saying money talks, but Stockstill just said no to a $750,000 raise to go to Memphis where they supposedly aren't committed to football just like many people in this community feel about our university.

Theres no way UL will be able to offer a coach that salary whether its this year or next. If Memphis couldn't lure their top candidate (which is a coach in the "worst conference in the country") with that kind of pay raise and upgrade in everything from conference to athletic budget to facilites, i can't imagine what types of candidates would look our way....

BTW, they have a freshman quarterback who sat out this year because he transferred from the University of Miami (originally committed to Ole Miss) who happens to be the son of the CEO of FedEx. Supposed to be pretty legit. _
    At first I was also amazed that Stockstill would turn down that kind of money. But as someone else pointed out to me, it is not unusual for a coaching candidate to get a strong vibe from the school he is no longer seriously in the running so they save face by "withdrawing" from consideration. It happens all the time. Butch Pierre held a press conference to announce that he was withdrawing his name from consideration as UL basketball coach the last time we had an opening. Of course, we had heard a few days earlier that the admin had definitely ruled him out.

Wow, some of you guys really see things the way you want to see them, rather than the way they really are. The Cajuns won't lure a "big name" coach. Period. Why? A. They don't have the money to do so. B. The program is on a shoestring budget and mired in the middle of the worst conference in the country. That's reality. As much as we'd all love it to be otherwise, outside of your myopic little world, outside of Lafayette, that's reality and the perception of the rest of the country. Sorry if it stings but it is. Can we change it? I certainly hope so, but you're putting the cart before the horse. You're going to have to make the program attractive before you get a "serious coaching hire." Period. That's reality, no matter your perception.

_ You guys are saying money talks, but Stockstill just said no to a $750,000 raise to go to Memphis where they supposedly aren't committed to football just like many people in this community feel about our university.

BTW, they have a freshman quarterback who sat out this year because he transferred from the University of Miami (originally committed to Ole Miss) who happens to be the son of the CEO of FedEx. Supposed to be pretty legit. _
    I give up. I hope UL hires a cousin of Coach Blanco for our next coach... for cheap. I'm getting out of this. I regret joining RCAF. I won't this coming year. It wasn't Dr. Authement afterall. It really is "UL".

I assume "they" is MT. If FedEx decides to start contributing to their program, like Nike for Oregon and OSU or Pickens for Ok State, watch what happens there. UL needs a big time sponsor to step forward. Do we have any out there?

_ I give up. I hope UL hires a cousin of Coach Blanco for our next coach... for cheap. I'm getting out of this. I regret joining RCAF. I won't this coming year. It wasn't Dr. Authement afterall. It really is "UL". _
    I was simply pointing out that not all coaches are concerned about salary because alot of people on this board keep saying as long as UL can come up with money, everything will be ok.

With that said, I do think UL has enough positives in their favor to attract a good coach with a reasonable pricetag when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ I assume "they" is MT. If FedEx decides to start contributing to their program, like Nike for Oregon and OSU or Pickens for Ok State, watch what happens there. UL needs a big time sponsor to step forward. Do we have any out there? _
    "They" is Memphis. sorry.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information