Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NO MORE COLLEGE--AS WE KNOW IT

1. Default Re: NO MORE COLLEGE--AS WE KNOW IT

Quote Originally Posted by njustice View Post
    I definitely agree. I wasn't meaning to say that online programs aren't useful and effective, because they are. I was just saying that it won't replace college as we know it because there will always be a market need for it.
    to your point, even Phoenix is setting up brick and mortar in Lafayette.

Default Re: NO MORE COLLEGE--AS WE KNOW IT

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    to your point, even Phoenix is setting up brick and mortar in Lafayette.
    There was a University of Phoenix campus here but I think they are either closing or have already closed shop.

3. Default Re: NO MORE COLLEGE--AS WE KNOW IT

Quote Originally Posted by LOVAQUE View Post
    There was a University of Phoenix campus here but I think they are either closing or have already closed shop.
    Oh, I thought they were moving locations.

http://Online.Louisiana.edu must have reclaimed some thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by njustice View Post
    I definitely agree. I wasn't meaning to say that online programs aren't useful and effective, because they are. I was just saying that it won't replace college as we know it because there will always be a market need for it.
    . We're in full agreement. Was just putting my thoughts out there.

5. Default Re: NO MORE COLLEGE--AS WE KNOW IT

Quote Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
    . We're in full agreement. Was just putting my thoughts out there.
    ---My S in L has used this "go to meetings" I think that is what you call it---anyway they had a guy in P Rico, Chicago, B-Ham, and NO all in the same place on a screen---that to me is amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---My S in L has used this "go to meetings" I think that is what you call it---anyway they had a guy in P Rico, Chicago, B-Ham, and NO all in the same place on a screen---that to me is amazing!!!
    Given the availability of technology today you can have the same experience as being in the classroom but you do not have to be physically in the same location as the rest of the class. I have completed most of my doctoral courses that way and am writing my dissertation on that topic. Microsoft live meeting is one tool that can be used. Hate to admit it but LSU is doing this in some areas. It's about money. More students without the need for more classroom space. It is real time just like sitting in class

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Just read an ad on T-Bine's News where you can get an MBA at LSUS in 12 months at a great price (ON LINE)----Don't have to leave your house I guess---Just wondering if the schools of the future will all be this way---you could actually have the greatest teachers in the world teaching everybody or you could have the ideology/philosophy teacher of your choice teaching your classes-----Oh and the football and sports teams could still recruit but once you have signed them it would be a fantasy game!!!
    This will flourish for a while, then some schools starved for revenue will be exposed as diploma factories, and then they will reform the system.

The internet has been great but has isolated us from people. It works for us late middle-agers because for the majority of our lives there was no such thing and we can relive the things we experienced hands-on with our computers.

But a generation may arise in total isolation and the internet may not do as much for them if they didn't have the experiences we did.

High tech, high touch, maybe we ought to dust off an old copy of Megatrends and find our way again.

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    This will flourish for a while, then some schools starved for revenue will be exposed as diploma factories, and then they will reform the system.

The internet has been great but has isolated us from people. It works for us late middle-agers because for the majority of our lives there was no such thing and we can relive the things we experienced hands-on with our computers.

But a generation may arise in total isolation and the internet may not do as much for them if they didn't have the experiences we did.

High tech, high touch, maybe we ought to dust off an old copy of Megatrends and find our way again.
    If you have netflix, watch the mini series Black Mirror for a glimpse of our high tech future.scary stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information