Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lafayette #9 in US

Default Lafayette #9 in US

Default Re: Lafayette #9 in US

Lots of cities in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    _ Lots of cities in Texas. _
    yeah, but then you'd have to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    _ Lots of cities in Texas. _
    That's only because there are a lot of Ragin' Cajuns in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post

That is awesome that Lafayette is doing this well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Saint View Post
    _ yeah, but then you'd have to live there. _

There's a reason Austin is #1. I lived there. There is no place in Louisiana that compares to it, not even Lafayette. But, that is a subjective opinion.

Just went through Lafayette this weekend. I was shocked at the River Ranch area. there are ten million dollar homes in there. I didn't know Lafayette had a market for houses that big. Of course I hear alot are in foreclosure

Quote Originally Posted by beaux66 View Post
    _ Of course I hear alot are in foreclosure _
    Nope, not much foreclosure around here. Brother-in-law is in construction and realty and he's having a tough time keeping up with the demand. Life is good in Lafayette.

Just went through Lafayette this weekend. I was shocked at the River Ranch area. there are ten million dollar homes in there. I didn't know Lafayette had a market for houses that big. Of course I hear alot are in foreclosure
    I've heard that same rumor but as of yet haven't seen anything to back it up. River Ranch has it's share of detractors who perceive it to be elitist and I think that is where a lot of foreclosure rumors come from.

At least at this stage it seems that Lafayette has managed to strike a balance that other cities have not. I do believe however that over the next six months that oil & gas will see a substantial rise in layoffs however I do not think this will be a long term trend. The industry is MUCH different than it was in the early 80's. No one was caught off guard this time and are much better equipped to handle the downturn.

well my friends are in the medical field and they said that River Ranch was built around the booming medical industry there but that alot of the industry is starting to go belly up. She said alot of homes in River Ranch are foreclosing. My step sister can't sell hers. It is very nice though just wonder if it might have been overreaching at a bad time. I was quite impressed with it. Put East Bayou Parkway to shame.

11. Default Re: Lafayette #9 in US

_ well my friends are in the medical field and they said that River Ranch was built around the booming medical industry there but that alot of the industry is starting to go belly up. She said alot of homes in River Ranch are foreclosing. My step sister can't sell hers. It is very nice though just wonder if it might have been overreaching at a bad time. I was quite impressed with it. Put East Bayou Parkway to shame. _
    I have seen a few for sales signs as well (although common in a new development) I suspect another big boost is coming when Lourdes Regional Medical Center opens next year.

I find it so funny that when i was in high school at Abbeville everybody gave then Gov. Edwards such a hard time about building too many hospitals in Lafayette with illegal contracts and the overabundance of hospitals ended up being responsible for a huge economic boom in the area after the oil business slacked off.

I find it so funny that when i was in high school at Abbeville everybody gave then Gov. Edwards such a hard time about building too many hospitals in Lafayette with illegal contracts and the overabundance of hospitals ended up being responsible for a huge economic boom in the area after the oil business slacked off.
    Yeah, I remember when a moratorium was placed on new hospital construction back then. If I recall, it targeted a massive planned development called Lafayette Centre, which included a hospital, and right about where the new Lourdes medical center is currently being built. There's some irony for you. Joseph Canizaro was the developer if memory serves.

Anyway, I think its remarkable how well Lafayette has done and continues to do when faced with the recent downturn in the oil industry. Even when it was thriving only a couple of years ago, it was surpassed locally by the medical industry in terms of direct employment numbers. I read somewhere that Lafayette's medical employment was nearly double that of Shreveport! Something to the tune of 17,000 here vs 8 or 9 grand up I-49.

now if the city could just bulldoze johnson St and its two thousand billboards, Lafayette might actually be more pleasing to the eye. God that street has been out of control for years

_ now if the city could just bulldoze johnson St and its two thousand billboards, Lafayette might actually be more pleasing to the eye. God that street has been out of control for years _
    Well, there's a plan.

http://www.improvejohnston.org/current_plan.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information