Thread: Memphis Fires Football Coach

Default Memphis Fires Football Coach

It was already reported that Memphis announced the firing of football coach Tommy West who will finish out the season. In today's Houston Chronicle, it reported that Tommy West said "the university needs to put more money into the football program or shut it down". And, this is Memphis.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Memphis Fires Football Coach

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ It was already reported that Memphis announced the firing of football coach Tommy West who will finish out the season. In today's Houston Chronicle, it reported that Tommy West said "the university needs to put more money into the football program or shut it down". And, this is Memphis. _
    It's certainly eye opening to read that.

We need order of magnitude increases to our athletic budget.

How will we get that?

(the answer is not the RCAF)

I will never understand firing a coach mid season and letting him finishing out the season. What does that accomplish? Why not wait till the season is over?

igeaux.mobi

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ I will never understand firing a coach mid season and letting him finishing out the season. What does that accomplish? Why not wait till the season is over?
    I disagree with it, but I understand the reasons.

1.) It allows you to launch a public coaching search, before the other teams do. By starting it mid/late season you give yourself a jump on the some of the currently unemployed big names. Example: if Memphis wants Tuberville, they will have the "first shot" at him since they're starting the search now, and not December 10th.

2.) When the administration has decided that they want to go in a different direction, they believe it is better to fire the coach at the low point in the season. Perhaps the admin does not want to "risk" a 3 game winning streak to end the season.

Like I said, I don't agree with it in the college game, but it does have some advantages.

Thread Information