Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst . 9 16 17 18 19

Thread: Selections for new coach

Default Re: Selections for new coach

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I would consider hiring the entire McNeese staff. They work together and know the area. _
    Yea, that will make a real statement, excite the fan base and get the donations to RCAF pouring in.

2. Default Re: Selections for new coach

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Yea, that will make a real statement, excite the fan base and get the donations to RCAF pouring in.

I am afraid of hiring a big name coach beause I don't know if he could function properly on a budget less than he was used to at his last failure of a job.

My criteria:
    A head coach at his last stop.
    A big winner at his last gig.
    Finger on the pulse of who might make good assistants.
    An intact staff would be a HUGE plus to hit the ground running.
    UL must represent a pay increase over his last stop. Meaning he must appreciate the job.
    Must be able to recruit the area.

jmo

_
    I am afraid of hiring a big name coach beause I don't know if he could function properly on a budget less than he was used to at his last failure of a job.

My criteria:
    A head coach at his last stop.
    A big winner at his last gig.
    Finger on the pulse of who might make good assistants.
    An intact staff would be a HUGE plus to hit the ground running.
    UL must represent a pay increase over his last stop. Meaning he must appreciate the job.
    Must be able to recruit the area.

jmo _
    I agree Turbine.I am not against a name guy but I want the best coach regardless of name.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Yea, that will make a real statement, excite the fan base and get the donations to RCAF pouring in. _
    I ditto that.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ How about this name.dan hawkins. He is more than likely on his way out at colorado and look what he did at boise state. Just thinking out loud so tell me what u guys think.
    igeaux.mobi _

Dan Hawkins is interesting (in general, not necessarilly as a potential coach for UL). He DID have success at Boise St, but hasn't had nearly as much at Colorado. I think its hard to put all of the problems at CU on him, though. He got there just as they were having a bunch of problems with the recruiting trip scandal, and the female kicker who was allegedly raped by another player. The recruiting scandal resulted in some tough limitations placed on them by the school. Needless to say, when Hawkins started, he definitely had a lot to overcome. Granted, this is his 4th year and he still hasn't logged a winning season, which is concerning. At the end of the day, though, you can't ignore the fact that he inherited a Boise St program that was on the way up (the exact opposite of the situation at CU), and made it better.

As it relates to a job like UL's, guys like Hawkins are even more interesting. Sometimes these guys will be coming off of these massive buyouts and may not be looking to score as big of a deal with the next job. Sometimes, part of the buyout states that the fired coach retain employment as a HC or Coordinator on the D-1(a) level within one year, and if they do not, then the school no longer owes them anything, which is important (obviously) when a coach is fired with more than one year on his deal. It will also state that when they do find the next job, the buyout payments will be reduced by the amount of the new deal. For example, if a coach gets fired making $400k per year, and his next job pays him $200k per year, then the previous school only owes him the difference between the two, which is $200k. This is how Bustle's contract is worded and its also how John Brady's contract at LSU was written. Some of the bigger coaches, or at least those with bigger salaries, might not have these stipulations, and if they have multiple years left, like Hawkins or Weiss, then something else might be negotiated to reduce the amount of the buyout. Still though, assuming he would want to work immediately, a guy like Hawkins might be looking for a job on a similar level to this one. After being a HC for so long, the idea of being a coordinator may or may not be appealing to him. And, if it's not, then he's likely not going to get much attention from the bigger schools because of his recent past.

By the way, Hawkins first contract at CU was about $650k ($160k base from school + $490k from Radio/TV deal). Now, he is making about $850k and CU is under contract through the 2012 season. Some say the school doesn't have the money.on the game last night, Fowler and the other two were mentioning that the money was being raised.

Either way, I don't expect to see Dan Hawkins in Vermilion and Yellow and Orange and Evangeline next season.

6. Default Re: Selections for new coach

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ I ditto that. _
    Sustained donations will pour in with winning, otherwise it's a wash to accept big donations only to hand them over to a "name" that may not be able to cope.

_ Sustained donations will pour in with winning, otherwise it's a wash to accept big donations only to hand them over to a "name" that may not be able to cope. _

What tools would a new coach, or our present coaching staff, need to be successful at UL? Simply giving higher salaries without proper infrastructure will not necessarily produce a winner. If we truly want to turn this around and bring in a coach who has a real chance of success, let's identify just what that infrastructure is that needs to be built, starting with these items. Some are underway, some are under design, some have not been addressed. What other items can we add here? These don't necessarily have to all be completed and operational for a new coach, but there must be a stated Plan and Timeline as to all of this that will lure a successful coach here. Otherwise, any replacement of Bustle will face the same frustrations he has had and will not likely be any more successful. For that matter, could Bustle be more successful or have been more successful with all of these things in place or does he need to be replaced regarless? The level of coaching and inability to make game adjustments appears deficient regardless of budget, so a change may be needed. Nonetheless, all of these things MUST be addressed by our President and AD if we are ever going to turn this around and have a truly successful program. I just don't think this has ever been packaged this way, only addressed individually over a period of time, so there is no clear picture of a Plan by the university. And, with all of this, do we need a "name" coach to really turn this around or does that matter as long as we get the "right" coach to take us to another level?

1. Higher salary for HC and Assistant Coaches
    2. Higher Recruiting Budget
    3. Improved Facilities - but specifically what kind of improvements to stadium, locker rooms, weight room, meeting facilities, recruiting area, offices, etc.
    4. Improved dorms for athletes
    5. Improved marketing of our name, our logo, our image
    6. Increased donations to RCAF to fund much of this
    7. Formalized Plan and Timeline, publicized by the university to the public to get the community and local businesses alligned and supportive of this initiative.

I have just read all of the postings on this thread, and find it very interesting. Most of all, it is good to experience true passion for our school. We have a lot of fans, that truly want success, and I think are willing to step up and contribute toward that success. I think we are on the right track.

I first got to UL (USL) in 1972, and have been a loyal football fan ever since. It has not been as difficult as you may think since I have been a Saints fan since 1967. There are many "good thinkers", "innovative ideas", and "interesting concepts" that have been posted on this site. I encourage each of you to continue sharing your thoughts and recommendations in this site. Please remember for your ideas and suggestions to receive "real" consideration, they need to be done positively with the best interest of UL at the core, not from a whim or whisp of the moment. Important individuals, those who are responsible for making the important decisions, are reading what you have to say here. They are ready to move forward, and they are listening!!

Throughout this thread, the major theme I picked up on throughout is that the university administration still thinks like it used to. IT DOES NOT, THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE OF MANAGEMENT!! Assuming they think as in the past is a mistake, do not limit your thinking or imagination to "what used to be"!

Although they may at times be "bound" by previous encumberences and/or agreements, and will not make "knee jerk" reactions just to demonstrate change, EFFECTIVE, COMMON SENSE CHANGES ARE COMMING!!!

All of you will soon experience a renewed sense of confidence in the UL Administration. It will be more participative and require your moral and yes your financial support. You will witness very soon a common sense approach to implementing solutions to improve the overall system, as well as, the athletic department. If you have been around for a while then you can appreciate the improvements we have made in just the last 8 years, but as the old song sez, "Baby you ain't seen nuthin yet!"

GET READY CAJUN NATION, IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!

If we hire Dan Hawkins. Might as well get Baldwin to be the AD.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunmike04 View Post
    _ I have just read all of the postings on this thread, and find it very interesting. Most of all, it is good to experience true passion for our school. We have a lot of fans, that truly want success, and I think are willing to step up and contribute toward that success. I think we are on the right track.

I first got to UL (USL) in 1972, and have been a loyal football fan ever since. It has not been as difficult as you may think since I have been a Saints fan since 1967. There are many "good thinkers", "innovative ideas", and "interesting concepts" that have been posted on this site. I encourage each of you to continue sharing your thoughts and recommendations in this site. Please remember for your ideas and suggestions to receive "real" consideration, they need to be done positively with the best interest of UL at the core, not from a whim or whisp of the moment. Important individuals, those who are responsible for making the important decisions, are reading what you have to say here. They are ready to move forward, and they are listening!!

Throughout this thread, the major theme I picked up on throughout is that the university administration still thinks like it used to. IT DOES NOT, THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE OF MANAGEMENT!! Assuming they think as in the past is a mistake, do not limit your thinking or imagination to "what used to be"!

Although they may at times be "bound" by previous encumberences and/or agreements, and will not make "knee jerk" reactions just to demonstrate change, EFFECTIVE, COMMON SENSE CHANGES ARE COMMING!!!

All of you will soon experience a renewed sense of confidence in the UL Administration. It will be more participative and require your moral and yes your financial support. You will witness very soon a common sense approach to implementing solutions to improve the overall system, as well as, the athletic department. If you have been around for a while then you can appreciate the improvements we have made in just the last 8 years, but as the old song sez, "Baby you ain't seen nuthin yet!"

GET READY CAJUN NATION, IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!! _

This all sounds great, and I desperately want to believe you, but until a solid plan in announced to the public, I can't believe you. While I have seen improvements over the last few years, I am still very sceptical based on the lack of on the field success in all sports (with the exception of softball and baseball to a certain extent) and retention of coaches that obviously do not know what they are doing.

I hope you are correct, but after years of "next year will be sweet for UL", I just can't get to emotionally committed to what you have posted.

Show me, and I will support again.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst . 9 16 17 18 19

Thread Information