Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . LastLast

Thread: Selections for new coach

Default Re: Selections for new coach

What about Tubberville from Auburn?

2. Default Re: Selections for new coach

We all must understand that getting a big name is not going to take care of the problem Reason being a big name caoch will only be here for a short time then move to something bigger. Lets be smart we are a mid size division 1 school that has a lot of potential. What we need is a young guy with some fire and drive in him. I have been around UL a long time. I have seen some good coaches. One guy that I think would do a great job like someone metioned earlier is Coach Jenkins. He is a tough cookie. I talked to several players and they all say great things about him. If you every saw him coach you clearly see the drive he has. He is intense, thats what this program needs. Also he is a good recruiter, Well known in the louisiana comm. and he gets his players to perform. I remember coming to the games to see our kick off team last year which he was in charge of destroy people. He would be a good pick thats if he would be interested.

3. Default Re: Selections for new coach

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    UL. first and foremost. has to come up with a massive compensation package that couples up to a pay for performance contract. We have to borrow and consider this money as the greatest single investment we can make. It will impress recruits and their mentors in selecting their college, far more than any single item on the list. Then, we simply need to go on a search.
    Don't think of it as borrowing. . it's a stimulus package.

4. Default Re: Selections for new coach

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ Sorry but that list is horrible _
    Well I think if did your research you would not feel that way this guy Coach Jenkins is a true winner.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl johnson View Post
    _ Well I think if did your research you would not feel that way this guy Coach Jenkins is a true winner. _
    I've done my research.he was part of the problem we have here. I want no one who has been apart of the Bustle era. I want someone who has HC experience and is a proven winner. Jenkins is none of those.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by daryl johnson View Post
    _ We all must understand that getting a big name is not going to take care of the problem Reason being a big name caoch will only be here for a short time then move to something bigger. Lets be smart we are a mid size division 1 school that has a lot of potential. What we need is a young guy with some fire and drive in him. I have been around UL a long time. I have seen some good coaches. One guy that I think would do a great job like someone metioned earlier is Coach Jenkins. He is a tough cookie. I talked to several players and they all say great things about him. If you every saw him coach you clearly see the drive he has. He is intense, thats what this program needs. Also he is a good recruiter, Well known in the louisiana comm. and he gets his players to perform. I remember coming to the games to see our kick off team last year which he was in charge of destroy people. He would be a good pick thats if he would be interested. _
    I don't disagree that we need a younger (or let's just say energetic) coach, but he has to have credentials beyond our local fanbase. Someone else is incorrect about saying we could not get, even with the money, the interest of a "named" coach. Once we offer the kind of money that a "named" person requires, the seriousness of our program will receive the required check mark by the college football community, including all coaches, fans, recruits, and media. and any coach on that money list. The next key is how well the interview goes and how much our admin is already prepared to lay out the right contract, incentives, facility improvements, staff salaries, etc.

UL is not where it was when we hired Stokley. Many didn't believe we could succeed, but they weren't quite sure. Right now, we are solidly labeled as a loser or a bridesmaid at best. We cannot "experiment" like we could have 20-25 years ago. We are so far beyond that it isn't even a possibility. We cannot compete with who we need to for recruits. We are competing, right now, against FCS schools and the lowest tier members of the FBS. We are not going to have bigger hearts and want it more than others, and will our team to victory. We have to make headlines with this next era of football. and that headline has to begin with money and a named coach.

One of the biggest measuring sticks used by everyone is the amount of money a school is willing to pay for its football program. It is not the money itself, but the implied commitment. You stated that a "named" person would come here and leave once he succeeded. He has my permission if he earns the right, at UL, to obtain a better job, once we are already paying him well. that would mean one thing. he succeeded here. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with losing a coach because he brought us to too many bowls to keep him away from a BCS program.

Currently, the only place we send coaches after a UL football career. is home. We "need" to be a stepping stone to a BCS program for a coach. We need a young upstart with a huge vision of success. The amount of money it takes to get that kind of coach can and will be paid by only a handful of supporters. Supporters have routinely explained to the admin that they will get provide the funds. We need to quit believing we do not have the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ I don't disagree that we need a younger (or let's just say energetic) coach, but he has to have credentials beyond our local fanbase. Someone else is incorrect about saying we could not get, even with the money, the interest of a "named" coach. Once we offer the kind of money that a "named" person requires, the seriousness of our program will receive the required check mark by the college football community, including all coaches, fans, recruits, and media. and any coach on that money list. The next key is how well the interview goes and how much our admin is already prepared to lay out the right contract, incentives, facility improvements, staff salaries, etc.

UL is not where it was when we hired Stokley. Many didn't believe we could succeed, but they weren't quite sure. Right now, we are solidly labeled as a loser or a bridesmaid at best. We cannot "experiment" like we could have 20-25 years ago. We are so far beyond that it isn't even a possibility. We cannot compete with who we need to for recruits. We are competing, right now, against FCS schools and the lowest tier members of the FBS. We are not going to have bigger hearts and want it more than others, and will our team to victory. We have to make headlines with this next era of football. and that headline has to begin with money and a named coach.

One of the biggest measuring sticks used by everyone is the amount of money a school is willing to pay for its football program. It is not the money itself, but the implied commitment. You stated that a "named" person would come here and leave once he succeeded. He has my permission if he earns the right, at UL, to obtain a better job, once we are already paying him well. that would mean one thing. he succeeded here. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with losing a coach because he brought us to too many bowls to keep him away from a BCS program.

Currently, the only place we send coaches after a UL football career. is home. We "need" to be a stepping stone to a BCS program for a coach. We need a young upstart with a huge vision of success. The amount of money it takes to get that kind of coach can and will be paid by only a handful of supporters. Supporters have routinely explained to the admin that they will get provide the funds. We need to quit believing we do not have the money. _
    Touche'

Bring in Applewhite

Quote Originally Posted by cjdecuir View Post
    _ Touche'

Bring in Applewhite _
    There's no way Applewhite would even consider this job. I would like someone that has ties to the area and the school, a young alum who can recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    _ There's no way Applewhite would even consider this job. I would like someone that has ties to the area and the school, a young alum who can recruit. _

If the money is where some people say it is, then he would be wise to double his salary for a head coaching position, he will not see it for a long time behind Brown and Muschamp at UT. You want someone who has ties to the area, well Applewhite is from Baton Rouge as I am sure you know. Plus he would be able to recruit out of Texas and Alabama. Please let me know of a young alum from the area that can recruit outside of here and is a proven coach. We are not talking about playing NCAA 2009 on your playstation.

Quote Originally Posted by cjdecuir View Post
    _ If the money is where some people say it is, then he would be wise to double his salary for a head coaching position, he will not see it for a long time behind Brown and Muschamp at UT. You want someone who has ties to the area, well Applewhite is from Baton Rouge as I am sure you know. Plus he would be able to recruit out of Texas and Alabama. Please let me know of a young alum from the area that can recruit outside of here and is a proven coach. We are not talking about playing NCAA 2009 on your playstation. _
    I would love for Applewhite to come coach here, Im just saying its not gonna happen. Hes gonna get an offer for more money somewhere else.

Why does he have to recruit outside of this state? The top players in the nation come out of here. He doesnt even have to recruit outside of Acadiana.

A young alum brings two things excitement and pride. Two things our current coach is lacking.

Mike Lucas at Southeastern is doing good things.

12. Louisiana Re: Selections for new coach

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Sorry but that list is horrible
    I see no one I want on that list.

If a change is made I have a candidate but choose not to divulge it because that would be the kiss of death for him.

how about Joey Jones. He's the head coach thats leading the charge in the start-up at the University of South Alabama. Played College under Bear Bryant at Alabama and played as a WR for the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL and the Dirty Birds from Atlanta throughout the 80's. I know this may not sound like a great idea but its worth looking at from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan89 View Post
    _ how about Joey Jones. He's the head coach thats leading the charge in the start-up at the University of South Alabama. Played College under Bear Bryant at Alabama and played as a WR for the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL and the Dirty Birds from Atlanta throughout the 80's. I know this may not sound like a great idea but its worth looking at from all angles. _
    Great playing experienceWhat's his coaching expereience?

If you're going in a new direction.which I'm assuming is what most of you want, then you need to go get some young unknown who can light a fire under his team and would take this job as a stepping stone. He'll come in, have something to prove, have 3 or 4 very successful seasons and then be offered by a BCS school a job. Yeh it will suck when he leaves, but at least you could lure him in with a lower salary because he's an unknown and is looking to prove himself. The other down side is that just because he brings the program success (this is all hypothetical here) doesn't mean that the success would continue once he leaves. But it will make the job somewhat more lucrative to more up and coming coaches.

This scenario, if successful, would be a coaching carousel with plenty of coaches coming and going over the next 20+ years until UL reaches a program prestige level and salary level that would make the job worth keeping.

I'm not saying that this is true of Bustle, just a common view of UL football, is that this place is where coaching careers come to die. So you only have two choices - 1) new up and comer who just wants an opportunity to coach and showcase his skills as a stepping stone in his career or 2) Some older guy who either never really made it or a has been who's looking for a few more years guaranteed money before he retires yet again. ala Schnellenberger.

Whatever we do.Stop swapping around coaches in the belt. The sunbelt is so inbred it's kind of disgusting. We all know what inbreeding leads to. you need to bring in genes from the outside world if you want your species to evolve.

15. Default Re: Selections for new coach

Quote Originally Posted by CajunInSanDieg View Post
    _ I see no one I want on that list.

If a change is made I have a candidate but choose not to divulge it because that would be the kiss of death for him. _
    Wait I have an idea---Why not ask all the High School Coaches from around the State Whom they think would do the best to bring us to the next level---well make us winners?????? They know who is pretty good and it would help recruiting---Then they couldn't _____ about UL coaches!!!! OOps forgot that many might reply that they would be the best pick!!!!

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . LastLast

Thread Information