Thread: Why Can't We Have the Rugby Team Play before the Football Team?

Ragin' Cajuns Why Can't We Have the Rugby Team Play before the Football Team?

A few weeks ago I managed to catch the UL v. UL Alumni rugby game. These guys play in the field behind sorority row. UL Rugby is a LOT of fun to watch and those kids play their hearts out. Just out of curiosity, why couldn't we have the rugby team play a game in The Swamp two hours before a Football kickoff? It might generate some interest for curious fans, it may generate some interest in the sport, and they should be off of the field well before the cajuns need to warm up.

2. Default Re: Why Can't We Have the Rugby Team Play before the Football Team?

Is the field the same size?

igeaux.mobi

Default Re: Why Can't We Have the Rugby Team Play before the Football Team?

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    _ A few weeks ago I managed to catch the UL v. UL Alumni rugby game. These guys play in the field behind sorority row. UL Rugby is a LOT of fun to watch and those kids play their hearts out. Just out of curiosity, why couldn't we have the rugby team play a game in The Swamp two hours before a Football kickoff? It might generate some interest for curious fans, it may generate some interest in the sport, and they should be off of the field well before the cajuns need to warm up. _
    Where exactly is that? I'd like to go see them play.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Field not the same size. Not the same markings. Football teams warm up too early before games to do a DH like mens and womens basketball do. And, you wouldn't want to intimidate the football teams.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    _ A few weeks ago I managed to catch the UL v. UL Alumni rugby game. These guys play in the field behind sorority row. UL Rugby is a LOT of fun to watch and those kids play their hearts out. Just out of curiosity, why couldn't we have the rugby team play a game in The Swamp two hours before a Football kickoff? It might generate some interest for curious fans, it may generate some interest in the sport, and they should be off of the field well before the cajuns need to warm up. _
    What is Rugby?

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ Field not the same size. Not the same markings. Football teams warm up too early before games to do a DH like mens and womens basketball do. And, you wouldn't want to intimidate the football teams.

igeaux.mobi _
    Rhineaux, you sound like some "big shot" rugby player. did you play at the alum game?
    but in all honesty, our rugby team is pretty awesome, i havent seen them play, but i have a lot of friends who have played on the team and i know quite a few who play now. and they seem to kick butt every year.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Why Can't We Have the Rugby Team Play before the Football Team?

Back in the day, there were some pretty serious football players that played rugby after their football careers were over.

The field is a different size, and the markings are different, the goal posts are different, tehre are a LOT of differences. But don't you think some accomodations could be made for an exhibition game? We aren't talking about the World Cup and I don't expect any AllBlacks to show up in kit, but we may be able to raise to profile of one of our programs a bit.

I think the biggest challenge is the timing. Football teams do get out and warm up a bit too early for a meaningful pre-game match. Maybe they could play a bit a halftime and give the band a rest. Just sayin' .

Quote Originally Posted by WadeWilson View Post
    _ Where exactly is that? I'd like to go see them play. _
    I saw them play in the field behind the sorority houses. If you go to blackham you should be able to see them in the field. I believe they have a page on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=26626272154

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Why Can't We Have the Rugby Team Play before the Football Team?

And while I am on the subject, I see that some of the UL Rugby players were selected for the Deep South AllStars (according to theaforelisted facebook page):
    Deep South 2009 All-Star's

UL
    Cameron Lacoste
    Jeph Jumonville
    Tim Joshua
    Will McSweeny
    Alex Philpot
    Roy Carrillo
    Kyle Arceneaux
    Mitch Smith
    Dante Cortello

Alternate:
    Dustin Broussard

well done, it's not the size of the rooster in the fight

10. Default Re: Why Can't We Have the Rugby Team Play before the Football Team?

I would love it . if it could be worked out.

I put a link on the Links "Fan Owned" page.

For those of you interested in seeing our Rugby team play, the following was posted ion their facebook page:

Come and check out the Ragin' Cajun rugby team as we take on the Baton Rouge Men's club. It's the last home game for a few of our players, so come out and send them off right. Pack your lunches and your ice chests, hell, wear your Halloween costumes!

Party at Dante's saturday night!

SUPPORT CAJUN RUGBY

Host: Ragin' Cajun Rugby
    Type: Sports - Sporting Event
    Network: Global
    Date: Saturday, October 31, 2009
    Time: 2:00pm
    Location: The pitch onColliseum drive- next to sorority houses

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=94533794943

Thread Information