Thread: Student dorms or Legacy Park

Ragin' Cajuns Student dorms or Legacy Park

Hi, I'm new here. I stumbled onto this site while doing research on the university. I had a couple questions about student housing if there is anyone who can answer them (hopefully):

How hard is it to get a private room in the student dorms?

How much do student loans usually cover toward housing-- is it just up to the cost of attendance?

If I can't get a private dorm, I was looking into Legacy Park and letting the university assign me a roommate. Is there anyone who lives there that can fill me in?

Regarding roommates, how does the roommate matching work? I am a 24 year old first-time freshman starting in the spring, and I am really wanting to take my studies seriously. I don't want to have to deal with some drunk roommate waking me up at three in the morning.

Finally (last one, I promise), if not Legacy Park, what are the off-campus housing options such as University House, Campus Edge, etc, like?

Thanks for your time and consideration to any who respond. I love this site and I will definitely keep coming back.

Default Re: Student dorms or Legacy Park

Quote Originally Posted by nathancpike View Post
    _ Hi, I'm new here. I stumbled onto this site while doing research on the university. I had a couple questions about student housing if there is anyone who can answer them (hopefully):

How much do student loans usually cover toward housing-- is it just up to the cost of attendance?

If I can't get a private dorm, I was looking into Legacy Park and letting the university assign me a roommate. Is there anyone who lives there that can fill me in?

Regarding roommates, how does the roommate matching work? I am a 24 year old first-time freshman starting in the spring, and I am really wanting to take my studies seriously. I don't want to have to deal with some drunk roommate waking me up at three in the morning.

Finally (last one, I promise), if not Legacy Park, what are the off-campus housing options such as University House, Campus Edge, etc, like?

Thanks for your time and consideration to any who respond. I love this site and I will definitely keep coming back. _

On behalf of the rest of us here I welcome you to this great establishment. I am glad to see you have shown interest into UL. Having worked with many of the different offices/organizations on campus I will try to answer your questions best as possible and tell you where to go if I cannot.

-I would say most of the student dorms on campus are for at least two people. Most of the time private rooms are either for Residences Hall Advisors or handicapped.
    Housing - 337-482-6471

-When a student loan is applied to your account it first covers all costs that you owe the university; it does not just cover one part of your tuition.
    Financial Aid - 337-482-6506

-I lived in Legacy Park my first semester I transferred here to UL. Sometimes you can get a private room to yourself but it is expensive. Legacy is nice for living on campus. I never really had any problems at all. It was nice being able to walk to all my classes and have a parking spot on campus.
    Legacy Park - 337-482-1439

-If you do receive a roommate, you have to fill out a survey so the people matching roommates can see what type of people they are dealing with. If there ends up being a problem there is ways to go about switching rooms.

-I also lived one year at Campus Edge. It was nice since it had a shuttle to and from campus. Rent was reasonable especially since utilities were covered. I have heard that The Quarters have nice rooms but the area it is in is a bit sketchy.

Lastly, please leave all purple and gold clothing and other objects at home. Besides that good luck!

From my experience, if you are trying to avoid noise and drunkards, University House and The Quarters would not be wise choices. Like CajunCrazy said, the utilities are covered at Campus Edge. My friends are complaining that the Campus Edge shuttle is quickly packed, but it's right by Cajun Field so that's an option. There's also SteepleChase apartments near Lafayette High, which are older apartments but are also a quiet option.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Student dorms or Legacy Park

Thanks for the responses guys.

I guess what I mean by the financial aid question is- How much money is usually left over after tuition and other essentials that can be applied toward on-campus housing? I'll be giving up a management job at Barnes & Noble here in Lafayette (read: we are now hiring for a manager) and taking a HUGE pay cut. So I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row and get as much funding as I can.

I don't mind living in the dorms, but I REFUSE to share a room in one of those sardine boxes; hence, why I was asking into private rooms. I don't mind roommates in a bigger situation such as Legacy Park.

As far as the drunks at 3 AM statement: don't get me wrong, I've gone through that little phase in my late teens and early(ier) twenties, but right now I want to take this as seriously as possible.

And for leaving my purple and gold behind: I bleed Cajun Red (even though I love LSU athletics).

Thanks for all the feedback.

As far a living, I wouldn't go for the dorms because they'll put you with a roommate. Legacy park is nice, but from what I understand you have to pay for a meal plan and its expensive.

I lived at the old University House, now it's Campus Crossings, and CampusEdge. Both places come furnished and with utilities included. Personally, I preferred Campus Crossings. It is older, but its built a lot better than CampusEdge and the new University House. Also, since it is older, the rent will be a little cheaper. Its located directly across from Cajun Field, and if you don't mind walking, you can catch the bus there. It has a nice 24 hour gym, computer lab and game room, it also has the biggest pool.

The Quarters are nicer, but they're more expensive. They're also right by a set of railroad tracks (that are VERY noisy), and its in a shadier part of town. It is gated, but it gets really hard to have people over after hours.

As far as drunkards, you're going to experience that at any student housing complex unfortunately.

As far as roommates, you can always find a friend and asked to be put with him, but all the places have roommate matching forms, so that they try to put people with the same interests together.

Thread Information